Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 22, 2013, 3:24 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #26

Here is an example of a 3mm diameter/6mm long 6V GoW bulb (note the different form of the bulb) with full glow running at 6V:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grain_bulbs_6v.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	66770

... and a pale glow at 2V:

Name:	grain_bulbs_2v.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	66771
  2. Jan 24, 2013, 3:08 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #27

Just ordered some of these bulbs to do a test. Also, from your pic of the ESB RF top that's partly hanging out, Rafalfett, it looks like there is a 1mm or so section of aluminium on the inside of the RF block?
    Jan 25, 2013, 1:07 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #28

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    Just ordered some of these bulbs to do a test. Also, from your pic of the ESB RF top that's partly hanging out, Rafalfett, it looks like there is a 1mm or so section of aluminium on the inside of the RF block?
    That's great news!

I noticed too that there's something under the perspex block, and I assumed that its purpose is to let the perspex block to sit at a specific distance in the RF housing. Here is a drawing (a WiP of my new RF templates that will be awailable with my RWH v2 helmet templates) that shows with approximation these 'spacers':

Name:	RF Side Sections.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	66828

The Rangefinder casing thickness is around 2mm and the spacers are 1mm for the ESB and 1.5mm for the ROTJ. The image is an interpretation of the movie era RF setup for both ESB and ROTJ.
  4. Jan 25, 2013, 12:00 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #29

Looks good there.

I just received a precision vice so have been able to accurately drill the three holes into the RF block. A nice slow speed and feed rate keeps the bit straight and doesn't melt the Perspex...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block-1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	66843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block-2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	66844  
    Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #30

What a piece of beauty! Just need some light (I know they are on their way to you) and some experiment with them and we'll have some great rangefinders... I hope.

Keep up the great work!
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 25, 2013, 11:01 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #31

RafalFett, you are brilliant and I can verify that you are indeed correct on both the wheat lamps and the 2 part Perspex. There are three wheat lamps in the perspex in addition to the two red LEDs that everyone already knows about.
  7. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 25, 2013, 11:03 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #32

it looks like there is a 1mm or so section of aluminium on the inside of the RF block?
    This is correct. There is a paper thin sheet of polished metal glued to the top of the perspex block.
  8. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 25, 2013, 11:06 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #33

The metal is not a spacer, but serves to reflect the light of the wheat bulbs. Also, it covers the entire top of the perspex.

The perspex is simply pressure fit into the rangefinder (with doublesided tape holiding it in place). The reason you are seeing a difference between the RotJ and the ESB is most likely due to the perspex not having been cut exactly the same thickness from helmet to helmet.

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    That's great news!

I noticed too that there's something under the perspex block, and I assumed that its purpose is to let the perspex block to sit at a specific distance in the RF housing. Here is a drawing (a WiP of my new RF templates that will be awailable with my RWH v2 helmet templates) that shows with approximation these 'spacers':

Name:	RF Side Sections.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	66828

The Rangefinder casing thickness is around 2mm and the spacers are 1mm for the ESB and 1.5mm for the ROTJ. The image is an interpretation of the movie era RF setup for both ESB and ROTJ.
    Jan 26, 2013, 2:21 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #34

Quote Art Andrews said: View Post
    RafalFett, you are brilliant and I can verify that you are indeed correct on both the wheat lamps and the 2 part Perspex. There are three wheat lamps in the perspex in addition to the two red LEDs that everyone already knows about.
    Thanks a lot Art!

The metal is not a spacer, but serves to reflect the light of the wheat bulbs. Also, it covers the entire top of the perspex.
    That is a good explanation, but in the Pre-Pro #2 images there is definitely a square piece under the perspex block that doesn't cover the whole part:

Name:	PP 2 Helmet 11.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	66864 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP 2 Helmet 12.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	66865

The perspex is simply pressure fit into the rangefinder (with doublesided tape holiding it in place). The reason you are seeing a difference between the RotJ and the ESB is most likely due to the perspex not having been cut exactly the same thickness from helmet to helmet.
    The thickness is the same and the best way to verify this is to check out the C-IV images for the ESB (the front corner of the perspex block is hanging out a bit) and the Heilman images for the ROTJ (the perspex block is also hanging out from the RF casing), the only major difference is the front cut angle (around 50 degree for ESB and 64 degree for the ROTJ), the lamp channel diameter and length (?) and the triangle is a bit bigger on the ROTJ (with 0.5mm), but again these are not set in stone and further research might change these values.

Name:	Perspex Compare.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	66862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perspex Block Measurements.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	66863
  10. Jan 26, 2013, 4:02 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #35

It looks like the PP2 might not have the metal section glued to the top of the block, so we are seeing the adhesive part through the Perspex.
    Jan 26, 2013, 4:49 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #36

It looks like the PP2 might not have the metal section glued to the top of the block, so we are seeing the adhesive part through the Perspex.
    I understand! It's something like this:

Name:	RF Perspex Attachment.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	66866

The foil's thickness is around 0.33mm.
  12. Jan 26, 2013, 5:26 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #37

That's it. So on the PP2 the aluminium foil isn't there...
    Because you have the wires running into the Perspex block powering the grain of wheat bulbs, when the adhesive strip fails, as seen on the ESB hero, the only thing preventing the block falling out are those wires. This is why the narrow end of the block has slipped out, revealing that aluminium backing sheet.
    Jan 26, 2013, 1:44 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #38

Added some of the images scattered through this thread to the first post, and some additional ones too.
  14. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #39

This is much more accurate, although the metal is not foil. It is actually a surprisingly rigid little piece of metal.

I understand! It's something like this:

Name:	RF Perspex Attachment.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	66866

The foil's thickness is around 0.33mm.
  15. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 11:52 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #40

That's it. So on the PP2 the aluminium foil isn't there...
    That would be my guess. The square you see in the top of the PP2, is very similar in shape and size to the doublesided tape.

Because you have the wires running into the Perspex block powering the grain of wheat bulbs, when the adhesive strip fails, as seen on the ESB hero, the only thing preventing the block falling out are those wires. This is why the narrow end of the block has slipped out, revealing that aluminium backing sheet.
    No, the wires aren't what hold the perspex in. The perspex is primarily held in place via pressure from the sidewalls of the rangefinder top. The doublesided tape helps support it, but the pressure is the primary thing that hold it in place.

The grain of wheat bulbs are a good fit into the holes in the perspex, but aren't a tight fit. The wires are actually pretty strong and I suppose they could provide some support, but again, the true support is coming from the rangefinder body itself.
  16. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 11:56 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #41

The thickness is the same and the best way to verify this is to check out the C-IV images for the ESB (the front corner of the perspex block is hanging out a bit) and the Heilman images for the ROTJ (the perspex block is also hanging out from the RF casing), the only major difference is the front cut angle (around 50 degree for ESB and 64 degree for the ROTJ), the lamp channel diameter and length (?) and the triangle is a bit bigger on the ROTJ (with 0.5mm), but again these are not set in stone and further research might change these values.

Name:	Perspex Compare.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	66862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perspex Block Measurements.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	66863
    I can't verify that the perspex are the same or different in thickness, but will say that they are clearly hand cut so there are differences.

Also, I think it is highly unlikely that the drill holes or drain of wheat bulbs would be different from helmet to helmet. There might be slight variances in the perxpex, but I would tend to believe those aspects are the same.
    Jan 27, 2013, 12:54 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #42

This is much more accurate, although the metal is not foil. It is actually a surprisingly rigid little piece of metal.
    The aluminum foil was just a wild guess. So, a 0.5mm thick metal sheet is more accurate.

No, the wires aren't what hold the perspex in. The perspex is primarily held in place via pressure from the sidewalls of the rangefinder top. The doublesided tape helps support it, but the pressure is the primary thing that hold it in place.

The grain of wheat bulbs are a good fit into the holes in the perspex, but aren't a tight fit. The wires are actually pretty strong and I suppose they could provide some support, but again, the true support is coming from the rangefinder body itself.
    I agree that the perspex block is (was) hold in place by the tight space with the RF casing, but also partially by the double sided adhesive tape and a bit from the GoW wires. But mainly the RF casing.

I can't verify that the perspex are the same or different in thickness, but will say that they are clearly hand cut so there are differences.

Also, I think it is highly unlikely that the drill holes or drain of wheat bulbs would be different from helmet to helmet. There might be slight variances in the perxpex, but I would tend to believe those aspects are the same.
    I did some comparison images between the 6 rangefinders (the Sandy was the hardest in lack of reference images) and there are only 2 types of perspex body shapes used: the ESB style is (was) present on the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 RF, while the ROTJ style is (was) present on the Pre-Pro #2, Pre-Pro #3 and Sandy helmets. It is possible that Brian Archer used a 12mm thick Perspex sheet (we can see a piece of Perspex in front of his table) and the only difference in style is the cut angle in the front and the triangle part cut at 45 degree but with slight differences (around 0.5mm or more). And I agree that is hard to say for sure the diameter of the GoW channels, but the ROTJ style looks a bit thinner than the ESB.
  18. Jan 27, 2013, 12:55 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #43

And I'm guessing the slightly angled in front side of the RF housing ( where as the back side of the housing is square to the top ) provides that grip from a bit of 'flex' in the housing material?
  19. Jan 27, 2013, 1:06 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #44

You may find the discrepancies in the three holes diameters may be caused by the drilling process. Too fast and not clearing out the Perspex swarf can result in a slightly larger bore...
    Jan 27, 2013, 1:15 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #45

And I'm guessing the slightly angled in front side of the RF housing ( where as the back side of the housing is square to the top ) provides that grip from a bit of 'flex' in the housing material?
    It seems that the slight angle inward is also part of the 'grip'.

You may find the discrepancies in the three holes diameters may be caused by the drilling process. Too fast and not clearing out the Perspex swarf can result in a slightly larger bore...
    You have to know better because you have worked with the actual material, so anything is possible. Whatever diameter you chose, I think is OK as long the GoW lamp fits that channel.
  21. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 1:28 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #46

Certainly there may be slight discrepancies (like the obvious discrepancies in the length of each hole), but I don't think there is enough of a difference to account for a different grain of wheat bulb being used.
  22. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 1:30 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #47

Also, the grain of wheat bulbs are much longer than anything that has been posted so far. I did a quick google search and couldn't find any that directly matched the originals in overall shape.
    Jan 27, 2013, 6:55 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #48

This thread is a perfect example of what a forum should be; everyone working together to get the most accurate information. Art, thanks for starting this thing and allowing noobs like me to be a part of it.
  24. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2013, 10:40 PM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #49

The aluminum foil was just a wild guess. So, a 0.5mm thick metal sheet is more accurate.
    I would say 0.4mm...
    Jan 28, 2013, 2:20 AM - Re: Exploring the inside of the Rangefinder (possible found part alert!) #50

Also, the grain of wheat bulbs are much longer than anything that has been posted so far. I did a quick google search and couldn't find any that directly matched the originals in overall shape.
    I thought about longer lamps too (because of the ROTJ setup), but I couldn't find a GoW lamp with a length of 6mm or so and a 1-2mm diameter. If my ROTJ measurements are correct, than it has a GoW lamp with a 1-1.5mm diameter and the length is around 7-8mm, and this is a given lenght by the green wires inside the Perspex block channels.

Name:	ROTJ GoW Lamp.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	66903

I would say 0.4mm...
    Then it is 0.4mm! Thanks for your support!