Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 15, 2002, 11:50 PM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #126

Just make a replacement visor out of tinted plexiglass. It's really easy once you know how, you can hot glue it in place (with the right hot glue), and it does hold it's shape very well.
  2. Kylash327
    Oct 16, 2002, 9:22 AM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #127

Tinted plexiglass isn't exactly something you can go get at WalMart
  3. gwizah_fett
    Oct 16, 2002, 9:52 AM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #128

Yeah Ive already tried 3 diffrent shops! one guy at a window shop told me that you cannot buy dark tinted plexi, it has to be specially made for you. WTF? How the hell does everyone have tinted plexi sheet masks then? If someone could PM me where to buy a pre-made visor replacement please do so. Im sick of hunting.
  4. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 16, 2002, 2:52 PM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #129

*L* Actually, tinted plexiglass can be picked up at Orchard Supply Hardware, in small sheets just right for making a visor out of. It's like two bucks for a small sheet. It does NOT have to be specially made, I don't know what kind of crack that guy was on. It comes in lots of different shades, browns, greens, and grays, lighter/darker, etc. At a good plastics shop you can even get just about any color you want.
  5. Kylash327
    Oct 16, 2002, 4:45 PM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #130

Orchard Supply Hardware?
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 16, 2002, 8:35 PM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #131

Otherwise known as OSH. It's a national chain...I think. They seem to be not as big as Home Depot, but still going strong.
  7. Kylash327
    Oct 16, 2002, 8:50 PM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #132

Hmm, I live in Wisconsin, never heard of it.
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 17, 2002, 11:10 AM - Merged: Re: Cutting out Visor? #133

Oops, they are all throughout CA, but no other states. It does make sense that if they have it, that other hardware stores might also carry that stuff. They carry it for people who are making clubhouses or doghouses, or sheds, so that they can put in small windows.
    Dec 19, 2002, 7:09 PM - Merged: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #134

While mulling over the many possibilities to mounting a T visor it ocurred to me,.....Why not tape it in - bear with me.I was thinking about getting some super sticky servo type tape or a similar type tape that is double faced,a thin foam to it,and sticky as hell,...the automotive industry uses another 3M tape to hold emblems etc. on.Not unlike 3M's white foam double faced tape,but ALOT more sticky.Then a bead of hot glue around the perimeter for ultimate strength.The tape would allow for a total ahesion between the helmet,and the visor with the foam absorbing any flexing or imperfections.The addition of hot glue,or epoxy,or JB Weld would then practically cement it in.The only drawback would be the impossibility of replacing it,......unless of course it was only taped in, which if you guys know the type of tape I'm talking about it WON'T let go.

Thoughts??

10. Ego
    Dec 19, 2002, 7:31 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #135

I know the product you're talking about, but, the only thing I'd worry about is that the "foamy" aspect of the tape might create a bit too much of a "gap" between the visor and the helmet, unless I'm just not visualizing it correctly (which, is VERY easily possible! )

Jer
    Dec 19, 2002, 7:38 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #136

Mark,
    There are some foam 3M tapes that have too much "foam",....around 1/8",but the one/type I'm speaking of is NO more than 1/16",or barely noticeable.I'm definitely going to persue this for if nothing else the sheer ease of installation.

Mechanical fastners like the original are cool,but there is alot of work involved,and there will be "pressure points" that I think will not set the T perfect along the entire seam.Other glue's,and adhesives have their drawbacks as well being messy,and the not knowing until it's broken whether it "worked" or not.Once that tape grabs,and has some pressure on it there is really no other reason to add another fastner.Now all I have to do is get my hands on about 3 feet of it,.....oh and my helmet back from being painted.

Steve
  12. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Dec 19, 2002, 8:59 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #137

servo tape is pretty thin and incredibly sticky just don't let the helmet get cold
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 19, 2002, 9:22 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #138

Is that the same tape used on those lexan window deflectors that you would install on cars & trucks? It's black and thin in height...usually has a red or green covering that you peel off before they are installed? If it is, That stuff is pretty wicked! Once it sticks, it's a good chance somethings going to break if you try to remove it.
    Dec 19, 2002, 9:39 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #139

Using that thin auto-body trim tape sounds like a pretty cool idea to me! One of my best buddys owns his own autobody shop & would probably be able to get me a bunch of it for little or nothing. As far as getting a visor off again w/out wrecking something; I'm pretty shure there are some types of removal solutions that auto body guys use. (my buddy reuses trim pieces all the time & is able to get them off & on again w/out damaging the finish on the vehicle.) I've got a banged up 96 layin around that needs a new visor anyway, so maybe I'll do a little experimenting & let you guys know how it works.
    Dec 20, 2002, 8:48 AM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #140

Cool Any ideas on how locally to attain this tape? Modeling sites like towerhobbies have servo tape,but the 3 automotive tape sounds even better the more I think of it.Would PepBoys have it,or someplace like NAPA,WesternAuto,or the likes?

Steve
    Dec 20, 2002, 5:06 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #141

I would think just about any major automotive chain would carry the stuff. We, (My father runs a mechanic shop,) get all our supplies from Napa and Arnold motor supply(upper midwest chain)I'm on vacation right now, but after the holidays are over I'll do some checking & see where the best place to get it is. If I'm not mistaken, that stuff may be a bit spendy, so I'll do some shoppin around. I'll post my findings when I know something.
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 20, 2002, 6:08 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #142

One thing to think about.The added support of bonding the visor into the helmet adds a huge amount of stiffness to the helmet.You'll see what I mean once you cut the visor area out.It is pretty flimsy .Even a Fiberglass helmet.Just something to think about.
    Later,
    Ron
    Dec 20, 2002, 6:56 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #143

Very good point Pantara.It was one of the reasons I had suggested then "re-enforcing" it with an epoxy,JB Weld,or hot glue.It definitely solidifies a helmet back up again.

Steve
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Dec 20, 2002, 7:56 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #144

What about breath vapor? Do you think the heat and moisture would do anything to it?
    Dec 20, 2002, 8:08 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #145

If using that 3 tape or something similar does actually work,which it may not considering Panteras advice,(You're absolutely right P)I doubt that breath vapor would affect it very much. If the stuff can hold a piece of trim to a car even after it goes through a car-wash or a harsh winter w/ salt covered roads (I'm from Minnesota), then it should be able to withstand breath vapor. I'm not completely shure though. I guess we'll just have to try it & see if it works.
    Damian
    Dec 20, 2002, 8:36 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #146

Just curious, but is it common practice among
    most of you to completely seal of the seam between
    the visor & helmet? I only glued mine in at the
    bottom to allow some minimal breathing room for
    breath vapor to escape & air to come thru the upper
    seams of the visor. I would guess, unless you have
    a helmet fan, that sealing it off completely would
    greatly increase fogging & stale air...or am I just
    doing it all wrong?

Dec 21, 2002, 12:21 AM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #147

Sounds like a pretty good idea Malcfett. Doeas that seem to help quite a bit? The visor on my previous helmet was epoxied all the way around & yeah, it fogged up so bad I almost needed an inside wiperblade. I even had a fan in mine & it only helped a little. If I put 2 fans in I think it would be ok. Seems to me I've heard of others that leave the top portion of the visor unglued as well, & maybe the original was even like that. Is the gap very noticable if you leave that top portion unglued?
  23. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 21, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #148

Whatever you do, just remember that visors can be cracked. And the it'd be a really bad day if you couldn't remove it.
    Dec 21, 2002, 5:13 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #149

Jango's Kid - There is a slight gap, but not really noticeable unless you look
    really close up. I don't have any fans in my helmet, but so far it barely fogs
    at all. I think leaving a seam helps a lot.

As far as the tape, you could space sections of tape along the top to help
    get that seamless look but still have a few spots to let air escape. Just my
    two cents.

Dec 21, 2002, 6:07 PM - Merged: Re: Mounting a T visor with tape?!?!?!?! #150

I cheated when I made my wife's costume. I left the helmet fully intact, removed the old visor & used clear carpet tape to mount the new visor onto the helmet. I did not trim the opening & the material I used for the visor is a dark vinyl about the thickness of a dime. This is the same stuff that is used in soft convertible tops for windows. I still have lots left if anyone is interested in it. It can be cut with scissors & you don't need to bother with thermoforming. I'll get a better pic up of just the helmet later.