Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Migrate from As You Wish
    Apr 18, 2002, 5:43 PM - Merged: Re: Helmet Help! #51

so far my luck in getting this to stay in place till i do that has been terriable. I have had root canals that were were less of a pain than this t-visor !!!

-Bear
  2. Migrate from As You Wish
    Apr 18, 2002, 5:43 PM - Merged: Re: Helmet Help! #52

You might want to ask this under the Helmet heading and not Armor. Or ask a mod to have this thread be moved there.
  3. Migrate from As You Wish
    Apr 18, 2002, 5:43 PM - Merged: Re: Helmet Help! #53

I glued one side down first, then the other side after the first side was fixed in place. I wrestled with it at first, but finally figured that way was easiest. After I cracked the first one and had to pull it out and put in a new one, the second one was really easy to put in that way.
  4. Migrate from As You Wish
    Apr 18, 2002, 5:43 PM - Merged: Re: Helmet Help! #54

Hey Bear,

Grab someone and make them help hold it while you glue it. once glued, have them continue to hold it or take over holding while it sets.

That's my thoughts,

Phil
  5. Migrate from As You Wish
    Apr 18, 2002, 5:43 PM - Merged: Re: Helmet Help! #55

Use a small amount of CA glue with accelerator to tack it in place then go over the seams with your hot glue or whatever you plan on using. Be careful with the CA and accelerator otherwise you get a white haze from the CA fumes. If you start to see the haze take some rubbing alcohol and quickly wipe the area down. Or if you see haze switch from drugs to alcohol
  6. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 15, 2002, 1:15 AM - Merged: Merged: t-visor template #56

i have looked everywhere. does anyone have a visor template that will fit a DP 95?

thanks in advance.
  7. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 15, 2002, 1:15 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: t-visor template #57

Why don't you just lay a piece of paper over the helmet, tape it down and trace it, giving yourself about 1/4" trimming allowance?

-Sarge
  8. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 2:01 PM - Merged: Merged: Re: T visor material #58

Another way *cheap* is to go and get a clear overhead sheet... you know those ones you use to see back in school that you could write on and project onto a screen.. anyway.... I got a sheet of that... and cut out my T-Visor shape... to fit into my Don Post helment... I left a bit of edge around the helmet where the old dumb t-visor was so that I could glue the new one that I was making it. Anyway.. I then went to Wally mart.. and picked up some cheap car tint.. limo one.. which is the darkest.. then I glued that to the new cut out of the visor and let it dry.. Then when all done.. just put it in place.. .Worked out great.. and cheap.. and looks mint.... Also with the rest of the tint left over.. you have more to play with, just in case you mess up. But anyway.. that is a good cheap and easy way of doing it. It took me some time to prefect it at first.. as I attempted to first glue the overhead sheet to the helmet.. then put the tint on.. but all I kept getting was wrinkles.. and that look really bad.. so first attach the tint to the clear over head first.. if you or any other person does it this way.. hope that will help.
  9. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 28, 2002, 10:37 PM - Merged: Re: Pics- Replacing visor with plexiglass sheet #59

I'm just going to bump this since I keep seeing it come up.
  10. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 28, 2002, 10:37 PM - Merged: Pics- Replacing visor with plexiglass sheet #60

I am actually working on my scout helmet, but a lot of people have been curious about how to go about replacing the lens with dark plexiglass. You can NOT use Lexan with this method.

Making a Fett visor is very similar to these Scout Visor pictures, but you need to curve the middle part over a wine bottle or something first to be sure it curves nice and straight in the middle. Or in the case of Jango, don't do that.

This is a rear-mounting lens.

(Scout Helmet)
    I cut out the inner rim of the lens area with a craft knife. I traced around the lens that I cut out from the scout helmet(leaving about 1/4" extra room around the edge). I cut it out from a flat piece of smoke colored plexiglass (scraps are as cheap as $1.50). (Fett people-just cut out the visor and trace that)

I laid the cut out flat plexiglass lens piece onto a Lexan face shield. (Side note: I have NEVER seen a tinted face shield despite looking pretty hard).

Wave the heat gun over the plastic, working from the center out, until it bends by itself to the same shape as the visor. If you wish the curve the lens more than the Lexan visor normally curves, simply tape the two sides closer along the back. (Fett people should have pre-bent the just the very middle over a large glass bottle)

Here's a pic:

Notice I did this on a heat resistant surface...

A pic of the face shield off and the newly curved lens laying inside of it.

If you work quickly and lick your fingers so they don't get burned, you can conform the lens a bit more to your helmet.

Use hot glue all around the top and sides of the visor. The opaque kind works best for me. If there are any parts of the visor that are just slightly not close enough to the lens, the heat of the hot glue will soften the helmet right there and you can push it closer to the lens from the front. With Fett, I found it very important to watch the front and keep it pressed down so that glue did not seep under and cause the helmet to lift away from the visor. I glued one side at a time with the Fett helmet.

If you get glue anywhere you don't want it, use Goo-off to remove it, then windex to remove the Goo-off residue.

The finished helmet:

Hope that is helpful to some people.
  11. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 28, 2002, 10:37 PM - Merged: Re: Pics- Replacing visor with plexiglass sheet #61

great tips lisafett!
  12. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 28, 2002, 10:37 PM - Merged: Re: Pics- Replacing visor with plexiglass sheet #62

WOW! great tip! (and sweet helmet!)
  13. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 5, 2002, 4:00 AM - Merged: I just got an idea on how to make a cheap T-visor. #63

Create an image in Photoshop with the measurements from a A4 paper, add a layer on top and fill it in a very deep green/brown and adjust the opacity on the layer a bit so that it becomes a little transparent. Print it out on a transparency film. Cutting will not be any big problem, just use a paper-knife. The film is a little thin, but i think it will work just fine.
    Not the greatest idea, but it's a quick and very cheap solution. Only takes 5 minutes and it looks great.
    Good luck!

Edit:I've printed out 2 now. Think it will work fine! The first one was very dark, but the second one came out much better i adjusted the transparency on the layer in PS(about 68%). The vision becomes a little blurry, but it's no bigger problem to see through. To protct the ink a little better i think a thin transparent adhesive film on top will do the job. Just remember to do it before you glue the visor in place.
  14. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 5, 2002, 4:00 AM - Merged: Re: I just got an idea on how to make a cheap T-visor. #64

Easier.. and maybe look better.. is to do what I did.. get a overhead clear sheet... trace out the t-visor template onto it.. then lay out some limo black tint over it... glue them together... then set them onto the helmet... Looks awesome.. will post some pics of mine soon.... but anyway will work.. cheap and easy... good Idea anyway micke...
  15. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 5, 2002, 4:00 AM - Merged: Re: I just got an idea on how to make a cheap T-visor. #65

since i work retail i get merchandise in in clear plastic boxes which i take home and add 2 layers of limmo tint then cut, works on royal guard masks and just about anything needing a visor since it is very flexible

TR3171
  16. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: visor glue #66

What is the best adhesive to use to keep your visor in place once you replace it?
  17. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: visor glue #67

I hear two part expoxy works pretty well-- for me it was a pain to hold in place, but once set it was solid, but I could still rip it out if I wanted to remove it.
  18. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: visor glue #68

Wouldn't you want something flexible like a silicone?
  19. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: visor glue #69

I used a bit of everything. Two part epoxy, Quicktight Glue, and some hot glue. Also, make sure to tape the front in place so it doesn't spread out as you hold the visor down against the inside.
  20. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: visor glue #70

If you're looking for flexibility, RTV sealant works. I used that on my first try. I used one that was black, and it held pretty good.

No more glues for me though. Screws all the way. Screws I can handle!

21. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 6, 2002, 10:52 AM - Merged: Re: visor glue #71

i use just a hotglue gun and thats seems to work for me.

Bear
  22. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 7, 2002, 3:55 AM - Merged: Merged: tinted visor? #72

Originally posted by robbacca:

i have looked every where and i cannot find one i keep finding the clear one and i could not get the window tint to work

23. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 7, 2002, 3:55 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: tinted visor? #73

ImprissonedFett wrote:By any chance can you post pics of the product you bought? I dont want to get it if its not so dark green its almost black.
    The pics on the site show it as kind of a grey color not nearly dark enough. Thanks.
    Ok, I missed this question the first time around, but yes, it's plenty dark, while still affording good visibility. Here's one installed-

Not only that you can use the cutouts from the cheeks for Stormtrooper and Rocketeer helmets!

-Sarge
  24. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 7, 2002, 3:55 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: tinted visor? #74

I'm new to this but I used a open face tinted motorcycle helmet shield. Using a "thermal" shield allows you to go from low to high temperatures without the visor fogging up.
  25. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 7, 2002, 3:55 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: tinted visor? #75

Saftey Lab Inc. also makes a really nice green visor.