Subscribe
    Oct 4, 2011, 12:22 AM - ESB Mandible red #1

Morning gang. Now this seems a pretty simple question, but what are all your thoughts on the correct red for the esb mandibles? Why I ask, is that with searching, and looking at my favorite esb paint ups from guys like terminal fettler, spideyfett and ponte, everyone seems to like something differrent. I am using mainly humrol enamels for my paint up, but have seen some favour humbrols wine 73, some go with floquil caboose, some floquil boxcar red, and some a combo or something else again. So what are all your thoughts? Have any of you changed to something better? All info appreciated. Peace :-)
    Oct 4, 2011, 12:58 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #2

Personal I have always used the Floquil Caboose but have been thinking about giving this color a go on my lid Testors » Floquil » Railroad Acrylics » Paints » Mineral Red » Mineral Red PollyScale - 1 oz. Bottle
    Oct 4, 2011, 5:23 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #3

I was told Rustoleum Claret Wine, but it will need a once over with some 0000 wire wool as they only had it in a satin finish. Which is a bit annoying, but I've had some practice with this with my Jetpack ;P
    Oct 4, 2011, 8:14 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #4

Good work chaps. Jay, im tending to look for colours that will go throgh an airbrush, but thats still great info for anyone using rattlecans. Deadland - tough to say off a colour sample only. One thing I know with the same samples for both caboose and boxcar red, is that thier samples look brown. Si the sample colour can differ significantly from the actual colour, particularly after going through an airbrush. It seems it that sample a little too red for my tastes, but by all means, let me know how it goes. As of now, I tend to be leaning toward boxcar red to be honest, but keep the opinions coming gang! :-)
    Oct 4, 2011, 3:57 PM - Re: ESB Mandible red #5

Caboose all the way.
  6. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Oct 4, 2011, 3:58 PM - Re: ESB Mandible red #6

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Caboose all the way.
    With a little bit of love when using it. It's the key of everything.
    Dec 1, 2011, 5:46 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #7

Gday crew, just an update on this red colour topic, and very interested to hear any thoughts on this. picked up an order of Floquil Caboose, Floquil Boxcar red, and had a Humbrol Wine 73 still around. Did some full colour samples, and this is what I found : my Caboose and Boxcar red are exactly the same. Im not talking similar, or a couple shades lighter, i mean they are EXACT. Any of you had these two side by side - are they supposed to be so close? So many recommend the Caboose, I'm just not convinced - it seems very brown, certainly a brown/red, but the first colour you think of when you see it is definately brown. Does any of this sound normal to any of those experienced with these colours, or is it possible I may just have stumbled across an inconsistent batch? The wine #73 is definately more a red shade, and to my eye a better colour, but could almost be a fraction too pink. Looks very close to the screen pic I have added, but in other pics, the red seems more - well, red. Of course, a good balance may be to mix them together - I will do a colour test next time I pull the airbrush out and let you know the results. Any info on these colours appreciated, Peace

Humbrol wine #73 seems close to this mandible colour pic :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOBA1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	57405  
    Dec 1, 2011, 6:09 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #8

It would be nice if you could add a sample of each color on a sheet of paper next to each other for comparison, once you get around to doing it.
    Dec 1, 2011, 6:23 AM - Re: ESB Mandible red #9

will do, I did try, but to be honest, my camera didnt give a truly great representation of the actual colours, so its probably not much help. I guess the burning questions are : Has anyone else found Caboose and Boxcar red to be exactly the same, are these shades supposed to be more brown than red, and how have people foud the humbrol wine #73? thanks a bunch gang
    Dec 1, 2011, 5:11 PM - Re: ESB Mandible red #10

If you're talking enamels, the Boxcar Red is much more consistent. I've had several bottles side by side
    of the Polly Scale acrylic Boxcar Red that you would swear were different colors entirely.
    Sometimes too pink, sometimes too brown.

But yes, the enamel Boxcar Red and Caboose are very similar.
    Dec 1, 2011, 6:23 PM - Re: ESB Mandible red #11

Enamels indeed my friend, thanks for that info :-)