ESB Hero Paintup

From
    London, Hertfordshire

ESB Hero Paintup

Hey guys,
    Havent posted a WIP thread for a while on here, so I thought I would put one up for my latest commission.
    This is hopefully going to be an Empire Strikes back hero lid, Layered and topically done with a modified Terminal fettler paintlist. Using Rafs Stencils of course.

The Base is a fantastic Terminal fettler helmet, already painted silver and assembled by the man himself (cheers )

So I started to paint both the ears first, and naturally didnt take any photos of the process. So I jump straight in with the back panels. Usually I do a full layered paint job, going from silver, to the grey, beige then the final green. But on the last helmet I did I left out the grey layer, doing this I found really helps me keep the beige an accurate size. So after the silver was masked off, the beige was applied and itself to, masked off. For the beige I used 94 and 103 mixed 1:2. I like this section to be quite dark.

The green was then applied, this is straight up from TF's paint list, which is 76+96, although I put a little more blue in than usual. Once the green is tacky I then removed the masking fluid with a needle to give me the near complete panels.

Its then a case of going in with a fine brush and hand painting all the grey 79 sections in. I find that its best to mix the paint quite heavily with some thinner, this gives you a good working time and reduces brush strokes.

Finishing it up then by appling the white areas inside the silver, you can only see these under certain light/angles but it really completes that busy right panel look I find.

All the panels need now are the physical scratches and the misting of black plus a wire wool. Next up will be the dome and front cheeks.
    Hope you guys like what you see, will post more as I get it done.

Shamless plug as well, Ive got a lot more work over on my FB page, including a recently finished Boushh helmet, and an ongoing C3P0 and Commander Cody Helmets. So head there if you would be interested in seeing some more work. Would really mean a lot,

https://www.facebook.com/LewisWhiteFX?ref=hl

Cheers,

Welsh

From
    Galati, Romania

Re: ESB Hero Paintup

So far it looks great! Keep up with the awesome updates!

From
    Modesto, California

Your Boushh helmet is really nice. I'd show that one off

From
    London, Hertfordshire

Cheers Guys,
    I'll post the boushh up in another thread then, dont want to clutter up this one.

So with the helmet, I managed to get a good weekend in on it. So firstly I had to paint it silver, well if it wasnt all ready silver, so I went ahead and drew out all the silver damage;

Followed by masking it out with Humbrol maskol, I love this stuff.

Quick blast of grey 79 and once tacky, remove all the masking fluid with a needle:

Then its just a case of repeating the process with the green, and then the black:

And here is where the helmet stands of right now. Still need to go in with a brush and paint the grey sections inside the silver, plus the weathering and what not;

Hoping to get the kill stripes finished tomorrow, can then get cracking with red sections.

Welsh

From
    Jacksonville (Florida), United States

Looks amazing! I like how you started with the silver as a base coat (making it more like the base "metal." I am dreading when I get my helmet in. I really have no artistic talent, or skill with paint. I am OCD and have a great eye for attention to detail. The more of these posts I see the more I feel I may be able to paint this myself so that I am 100% happy.... Of course, I can always blow it and then fork out the cash for someone to fix my mistake! Hahaha.

From
    The Netherlands

Looking great Welsh, simply gorgeous!

From
    London, Hertfordshire

Glad you like it Mark, thats the most important thing at the end of the day

Anyways, got the helmet almost finished, need to add a little more weathering and the ear decals followed by a satin clear coat. Not the best of pictures but here you go,

Pretty pleased with this, I got another helmet now awaiting the red and thats it then for Boba helmets with me. Will probably do one for my self in the next few weeks but I wont be taking any more on for a long while. Hoping to get some professional studio shots of this done to finish it off.

Thanks for looking,

Welsh

From
    Frederick, United States

Oh, hell yes!