enamel acrylic enamel?

From
    Omaha, NE

enamel acrylic enamel?

Hey, I had this question posted in methods and haven't heard yet. (I'm waiting to continue my first paint job, so forgive me if I'm a little antsy.) I've just completed spraying the Rustoleum Aluminium layer on my helmet. Does anyone recommend a clearcoat over the aluminium before I continue my layered rattlecan adventure? A gloss I would assume to keep up the metal look?

My only issue is that my Krylon colors (from the AFFO$ list) appear to be enamels and the clearcoat is acrylic. So if I did it that way, I would have Primer, Aluminium, gloss clearcoat, color, finished with matte clearcoat (or dullcoat) Would this work? or would I be breaking some spraypaint rule that would have my paint eating away at itself? What do you TDH guys recommend?

From
    michigan

Re: enamel acrylic enamel?

if u clear coat it, basically ur sealing ur work and not only will it give the metal a to " plosihed look" it will casue issues with any paint u put on top of it not adhearing well or at all! and you will not beable too put down the black washes either .....what u want is a "worn" look with the metal base paint. once u lay down all ur other colors and damage u will see more of what im talking about. once u spray ur greens etc. , even that will have that real bright and cheery look that needs to be dulled dwn. once ur paint job is complete and u finished all ur weathering then do the clear coat, and id use testors dull coat or any dull/flat top coat at a hobby or modeling shop for enamels...and remember. let ur paint cure a day or two b4 moving on to the next color!! good luck cant wait to see some work! if u need something or questions feel pree to pm
    ~shawn

From
    Omaha, NE

Re: enamel acrylic enamel?

Awesome! you covered it all. thanks a ton!