elmers fiberglass

From
    Little Falls NY

elmers fiberglass

the other day my father and i were at lowes and picked up some Elmer's fiberglass resin. i used it today by coating my helmet's inside and did some minor outside fiberglassing.... i know for a fact i mixed the hardener well, an hour after i worked on it i wnet to the workshop to check on it and ... well its still wet. now the residue in the bowl i mixxed the fiberglass parts in had a lining of a gel (not throughally hardened) resin. now take into accont that the in NY it 35 degrese and we are working in an old barn so no modern day heating ( wood stove which wasn't on) so im figureing that the weather is a part. but i have used BONDOS fiberglass before and i had no problems with the weather.... just wondering if any one has had this issue?

From
    San Diego

Re: elmers fiberglass

does the hardener have a different ratio than the bondo? As for the wood stove... I wouldn't have a fire near wet resin if ya know what I mean.

From
    Little Falls NY

i read the instructions for both and understand the ratios, and as far as the stove.... im not to worried.

i've had a really hard time working with just about anything at temps like that.

does it say anything on the container about temperatures? i've never worked with elmers, so i can't say for sure, but i'd bet a shiny nickel that it's a temp thing.

From
    San Diego

I wasn't insinuating that you dont read the instructions, just checking, you know if the computer dont work, check if it's plugged in LOL... Try the heat, my bondo took a little longet to cure in my garage the otherday, because it was about 15 degrees cooler when I made my ear pieces (early AM instead of late afternoon)

hey, just wanted to let you know my experience with the elmers fiberglass kit...i had no problems with the stuff, and felt like i really got a good ratio on the 2 parts...now, i know for a fact that after an hour, the mix was still wet, or damp, so i guess how wet was the mix when you checked it? it should begin to harden a little bit, but i found that it took at least overnight to completely cure, and this was in the summer...

From
    Little Falls NY

yeah well what im gunna do is start a fire in the wood stove and then take 2 saw horses and lay ply wood across them then lay the helmet on the plywood. so that the helmet is like 1' away from the wood stove..... when i went out it was tacky.... so as said it most likely is a heat issue. thanks for all the help guys!

From
    SOUTH CAROLINA

I agree. I have used this product on a cold day and the results were nothing like the times I used it in the summer. WARM DRY days make all the difference.