Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Sep 11, 2007, 8:10 PM - Ear question #1

I don't think I've ever seen this discussed, and I'm not sure how to proceed with my bucket...

1) At what point do you guys attach your ears to your bucket? It seems like the helmet is painted by itself, and I assume the ears are added after (fully painted, I assume).

2) How tightly do the ears mate to the helmet? Should there be visible seams, or do you putty in the seams to make the ears look to e part of the helmet?

3) Do you sand the backs of the ears completely flat, as well as the mating section on the helmet?

If you could post closeups illustrating the answers to these questions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

kibosh
    Sep 11, 2007, 10:08 PM - Re: Ear question #2

Don't have any pics to illustrate, but:

Quote kibosh said: View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen this discussed, and I'm not sure how to proceed with my bucket...

1) At what point do you guys attach your ears to your bucket? It seems like the helmet is painted by itself, and I assume the ears are added after (fully painted, I assume).
    Depending on the type of helmet, if the ears are separate pieces, I add them after everything's painted. It's easier this way.

2) How tightly do the ears mate to the helmet? Should there be visible seams, or do you putty in the seams to make the ears look to e part of the helmet?
    They should be as flush as you can make them. I don't putty mine. The delineation should be pretty sharp.

3) Do you sand the backs of the ears completely flat, as well as the mating section on the helmet?
    Yes. See answer to #2.

If you could post closeups illustrating the answers to these questions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

kibosh
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Sep 12, 2007, 8:23 AM - Re: Ear question #3

I hadn't check your thread in a while when I posted this. Right after making my post, I checked in on your thread, and lo and behold.... detailed ear installation! Your bucket looks great, btw.

I too am building a Fang. I'll definetly be "borrowing" your ear installation method.