Subscribe
  1. Apr 26, 2014, 3:01 PM - DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #1

So, i never did a ROTJ helmet and someone wanted me to do one for them. So, i did it on the cheap, with the understanding that im not sure how good it will come out lol

That said...i think its looking pretty good. There is some damage that isnt quite in the right spot, and other little nuances, like the ears need to be weathered still, but overall i think it looks pretty good. what do you all think?

..and this one with a photoshopped in visor
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Apr 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM.
  2. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 26, 2014, 4:10 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #2

Not bad for a first go...damage on the back panels looks a little off scale....and it kills me to not see the ROTJ damage....being Im a ROTJ lover

Good job bud
  3. Apr 26, 2014, 4:15 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #3

Looks great, definitely got the dirty ROTJ feel to it with the muted colours...
    Apr 26, 2014, 4:46 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #4

Not bad at all Lou
    Apr 26, 2014, 5:09 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #5

Looks terrible Lou. Ship it to me so the owner doesn't have to deal with the pain lol
    Apr 26, 2014, 5:21 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #6

Good Job! The weathered damage really gives it that RotJ look.
  7. Apr 26, 2014, 5:54 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #7

Thanks guys. This was a huge challenge for me and seeing that 3 pro painters gave me a "good review" for this first time im pretty happy. I made some mistakes, but its all a learning process. My next one will be better.
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 26, 2014, 6:25 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #8

Next time the silver is one layer. And the dark Grey misting is another under the green and red and then the main color then more misting....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Apr 26, 2014, 10:15 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #9

Looks fantastic bud, overall a really spot on representation of the ROTJ lid. The ears are pretty fun to weather on this lid too :-)
  10. Apr 26, 2014, 10:27 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #10

Thanks Jayvee! ...and to think, I wasnt even going to post it!
    Apr 26, 2014, 10:53 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #11

Looks amazing Lou! Hope mine ends up half as good!
    Apr 26, 2014, 10:58 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #12

Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Thanks Jayvee! ...and to think, I wasnt even going to post it!
    See, thats just crazy talk!
    Apr 27, 2014, 2:22 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #13

The paint job looks great and you can't ask for more from a ROTJ first timer!
  14. Apr 27, 2014, 8:28 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #14

Thanks Raf!

I used your templates and some photos of the screen used helmet, which these particular photos i noticed had less damage that Jayvees, which i was also using for reference. I also used Jayvee's color mix for the back panels green and the main green. Also the upper cheek color is the Tamayia color Jayvee used on his as well. Both of you have been a tremendous help with this.

It was difficult for me to line up the templates properly on the dome. Its not the templates, its me lol, and between it being a curved surface, and it having SO much damage I managed to botch up the placement a bit.

Most of the small silver damage i had to go back in with a brush either with the surrounding color around what i masked off to make the silver damage smaller, or just add the tiny stuff with silver. I didnt do that on the back panels because i had forgotten to do it before i added the grey misting and doing it after you would see the color difference around the silver marks, so i just left it. Something learned for next time.

I also did the misting over the silver/grey areas under the green, but again my placement was a bit off, live n learn lol

Overall i am pretty happy with it and am glad im not going to send this guy a POS (no, not "point of sale" :P ) lol

Thanks again for all the kind words everyone, especially from the Raf, and the Pro painters (F4R, TF, Jayvee, FFOD) because i never could have done his without your helpful progress threads and advice!
    Apr 27, 2014, 9:31 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #15

Really am rapt for your results mate, and glad my thread could help point you in the right direction with colours and so forth. The colours look great, so you nailed it all down really well. I'd say there is no doubt that your customer will be thrilled!
  16. Apr 27, 2014, 9:48 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #16

Thanks man. I really think you nailed those colors. So much that i bought a ton of them before i started this lol. I went to every hobby shop i get paints from and then scoured E-bay for those greens for the back panels lol. As a matter of a fact i need to do it again...there's some floquils i REALLY like and need to grab as many as i can while i can find em at all!

The upper cheek color to me is spot on. It really looks black but in a brighter light you really see the green/blue tone. If i put it next to my ESB you can clearly see its not black, but on its own, it looks black...i really think someone would be hard pressed to find a better match
    Apr 27, 2014, 9:59 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #17

Yea, thanks bud, I put a bunch of time into that colour, and I remember somewhere in my thread, showing colour swatches of how it can go from black, to green to blue, depending on the light, flash and camera settings. There was also another hi-res shot I posted with my two helmets next to each other, and it really shows the difference between the upper cheek colours from ESB to ROTJ. But enough about that - again, I'm just glad it could help you on your way to a great looking paint up!
  18. Apr 27, 2014, 10:00 AM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #18

haha yea
  19. Apr 30, 2014, 1:42 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #19

here is some shots complete

Apr 30, 2014, 1:48 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #20

Looks gret.

More difficult than ESB?
  21. Apr 30, 2014, 2:24 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #21

Ya know...yes, yes it is. I thought it would be easier, but in fact its much harder because of all the mists that go between layers. The ESB may be more layers, but it is pretty straight forward. The ROTJ colors would be hard to match also, but i have Jayvee to thank for doing alot of that hard work!
    Apr 30, 2014, 5:08 PM - Re: DVH ROTJ paint up...first try #22

Nice job..... I thought the same thing as I get ready to do one of those.......