Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DVH ESB paintup of DVH scratch build helmet casting

From
    England

Re: DVH ESB paintup of DVH scratch build helmet casting

The toothpick s definitely allow for much finer masking than a brush. Sometimes for really fine details I wait until the fluid is dry and peel and pull it back with a needle or pin as well as touching up later with a brush. Now that is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll lllllllly tedious.

intwenothor said: View Post
    The toothpick s definitely allow for much finer masking than a brush. Sometimes for really fine details I wait until the fluid is dry and peel and pull it back with a needle or pin as well as touching up later with a brush. Now that is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll lllllllly tedious.
    heh i bet!!... i think TF mentioned doing something similar to that as well. I have a helmet on order so when that arrives i may take on the painting myself and hopefully with the advice/suggestions ive gotten and through the experience of this paint up, i will hopefully do it justice! Thanks for all the tips and suggestions bud!

From
    England

No worries brother. I'm still learning myself and have made loads of mistakes on mine. Although I generally pleased overall I am very much allowing myself that this is my first paintup and not getting too down at my mistakes although it is difficult not to compare yourself to some of the great painters on these boards, who may have done multiple paintups, and feel a little humble. One of the things I've had the most trouble with is paint application. Some colours go on like a dream but some are much tougher to get a nice even coat. Next time around I'll know which ones but it's a pain.

I've got another helmet to work on too but I reckon you'll be way ahead of me. You're tearing it up on this lid. I started mine a year ago.

And I think you're right in that the needle idea is in TF thread.

From
    Rockford, IL

I tried paint brush, no success. The tooth pick works okay but you tend to go through alot because the latex absorbs into the wood & builds up and you end up throwing it away. Something I found that worked pretty well was using a piece of bell wire the insulation pulled back and even use the insulation with no wire. The wire can be rounded so there aren't any sharp edges to scratch & it doesn't lose its shape or break down. Plus easy to clean. But a lot of the fine work you still have to finish topically. I recently completed my first scratch built ROTJ helmet. We are our own worst critics. There are many things that I wasn't happy with on mine. But I have the satisfaction of making it all myself. Keep at it you are doing a great job.

The order that I painted mine was 1)back panels, 2)key slot area, 3)lower cheeks, 4)upper cheeks, 5)mandibles & rim around the base of the dome, 6)dome, 7)ears. The biggest pain was masking the cheeks. To me the hard part of the whole paint process is masking & that is an art in itself. Painting is the easy part.

There are a couple of products out there for fine detail work one is a called a "Fine Applicator" which is suppose to give you fine .5 mm lines. It uses a sealed bottle with a needle with a ball similar to a ball point pen. Another brand is "Masquepen" & "Masquepen Super Nib". I haven't used either but have research them and am looking at buying one of these to try in the future.

intwenothor said: View Post
    No worries brother. I'm still learning myself and have made loads of mistakes on mine. Although I generally pleased overall I am very much allowing myself that this is my first paintup and not getting too down at my mistakes although it is difficult not to compare yourself to some of the great painters on these boards, who may have done multiple paintups, and feel a little humble. One of the things I've had the most trouble with is paint application. Some colours go on like a dream but some are much tougher to get a nice even coat. Next time around I'll know which ones but it's a pain.

I've got another helmet to work on too but I reckon you'll be way ahead of me. You're tearing it up on this lid. I started mine a year ago.

And I think you're right in that the needle idea is in TF thread.
    Yea we learn alot for each go at it im sure!

Haha the only reason im going so quickly is my wife is on vacation on a cruise with her family lol....so i come home from work and work on it as much as possible and then do it again the next day. Plus i have the weekends, so thats helping lol Been doing 1 or 2 colors a day...well excerpt the back panels.
    ..did 1 color a day there.

Yea it was a compass point he mentioned!

toolguy301 said: View Post
    I tried paint brush, no success. The tooth pick works okay but you tend to go through alot because the latex absorbs into the wood & builds up and you end up throwing it away. Something I found that worked pretty well was using a piece of bell wire the insulation pulled back and even use the insulation with no wire. The wire can be rounded so there aren't any sharp edges to scratch & it doesn't lose its shape or break down. Plus easy to clean. But a lot of the fine work you still have to finish topically. I recently completed my first scratch built ROTJ helmet. We are our own worst critics. There are many things that I wasn't happy with on mine. But I have the satisfaction of making it all myself. Keep at it you are doing a great job.

The order that I painted mine was 1)back panels, 2)key slot area, 3)lower cheeks, 4)upper cheeks, 5)mandibles & rim around the base of the dome, 6)dome, 7)ears. The biggest pain was masking the cheeks. To me the hard part of the whole paint process is masking & that is an art in itself. Painting is the easy part.

There are a couple of products out there for fine detail work one is a called a "Fine Applicator" which is suppose to give you fine .5 mm lines. It uses a sealed bottle with a needle with a ball similar to a ball point pen. Another brand is "Masquepen" & "Masquepen Super Nib". I haven't used either but have research them and am looking at buying one of these to try in the future.
    huh those things do sound interesting and possibly useful!

heh you aren't kidding about being our own worst critics...ive been an artist of some sort (drawing model building painting etc) all my life, and i am ALWAYS my worst critic...im a perfectionist so when its not to the level im expecting im hard on myself...but i think that's what pushes me harder to be better at my craft.

i agree for me, at this point, its definitely the stenciling and masking that is the hardest part!

From
    Murrieta CA

What kind of brush are you using? I would recommend using one of these https://www.misterart.com/drawing-il...ing-tools.html and get the Angle Chisel no 0 firm.

Im just using watercolor brushes i got from work..synthetic. I can clean em pretty easy with turp, but the issue is the build up on em while im using em. i think i have an old compass somewhere..i was thinking if i dull the point with a dremel and some sandpaper, it may work like a toothpick but i can wipe it clean frequently as im using it.

Ah yes..we used to sell those at the store i work in...but now we only have these huge ones..like 2-3" wide flat types. But that is something else id like to try! Thanks man!

From
    Murrieta CA

No problem bro I use this on all the paint ups I do and you don't have to worry about it clogging up all you need to do is wipe it off on a wet paper towel each time you apply a bit of the masking fluid to the lid. Then of course super fine lines you can use a sewing needle or tooth pick for or add the damage in physically.

From
    Rockford, IL

The drive to for perfection can drive you crazy at times because you can't leave things alone. But makes us all better.

I was using synthetic brush with the same results they just load up.

Thanks deadland, I will give those a try, have used them before when painting acrylic & some oils. Would be very easy clean up.

So..heres where im at...again remember this is taken with my cell phone, and its now dark out so the lighting is different

...and i realized that im missing some of the colors for the mandibles...ugh!...so i just ordered them.

From
    England

Blimey. You are a machine. Looking sweet and really starting to look like fett. Your hard work has shamed me and I'm going to get of my jacksy and do some work on mine this weekend. Good work dude.

LOL! Thanks!...but its ONLY because the wife is away and im home alone with really nothing to do but work on this and some other commission stuff Also i think the temperature and humidity level is with me today cuz the paint has been drying pretty quickly. The website said matte enamels dry in 45minutes and it seems they are completely dry in a couple of hours..depending on the color..its odd, but im not complaining lol.

i think it takes people so long to do these because they have alot of real life to contend to. I dont really do much but this stuff lol. I rarely go out and dont have many freinds near by. Basically, I go to work, i come home, have dinner, check mail and forums do some minor commission work, hang with the wife for a couple hours and go to bed. Thats almost every day lol. Weekends i get up early and start doing this stuff while the wife is still sleeping lol....then i keep on keepin on while the wife does her website work. lol

Trooping is my social time for the most part
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Nov 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Excellent bud. With what method you use for masking, it is entirely up to you - and as I say, everyone has their preferred methods. I just find for the sake of a couple of dollars, you get a boatload of toothpicks, so no need to bother wiping them dry - just throw it out and grab another. They are also good to use to peel back tiny sections, if they have bled out of the stencil lines.

The other thing I always highly recommend - which I'm not sure if common knowledge or not - is the type of pencil to use for stencilling with your graphite paper. Instead of a standard lead pencil, I use a mechanical pencil with the refillable leads (in Australia, we have brands like Pacer, Faber Castell etc..). I use one with a firmer lead like an HB, and a 0.5 thickness, that you just click up from the bottom once the lead wears down or breaks. This allows for quality, and consistently sharp lines, and allows the finer details to be more pronounced, so when the masking fluid is applied, it doesn't come out looking 'blobby', and far sharper. As the stencilling and masking is probably the most important process of a layered ESB, I think the importance of all of this, is often overlooked..

Thanks! Yea i still wanna try the ol disposable toothpicks Can you believe i went to 3 stores today and none of them had freakin toothpicks? sheesh!

Funny you'd say that JayVee, i actually used a mechanical pencil, its a .07 though..the.05 is probably better..i need to find that one..i know i have one somewhere lol.

I think the brush was my main issue with this one. The stencils looked great but it was really hard to maintain what i layed down with the stencil with the brush getting globby every 45 seconds :/

so..i will try toothpicks, compass point to pull bac the masking in some spots, and that colour shaper silicone brush next time. I also discovered that spray gluing the stencil printout to the back of the transfer paper helps heaps

The next one will likely take longer too as the wife will be back and i may actually be able to obtain better detail with the better supplies

Thanks to all the painters that chimed in, you all helped me greatly for this one and for the next one..when that helmet comes in...i think im ready for it!

From
    Marietta, Ga

For me, the masking fluid kind of likes to pool rather than stay where I put it unless I rub the base layer down with steel wool beforehand. The slightly rougher texture keeps the fluid from pooling back together or running and helps me capture more detail.

For my tool, I use cotton swabs. I cut off the ends at a 45 degree angle and just use the cardboard stick's angled tip. The cardboard also soaks up a bit of the masking fluid in somewhat of a "reservoir" so you don't have to dip it as often. Then when it starts to dry, toss it for a new one. I also used one of those masque-pens and I really liked it when it worked but I constantly had fluid drying in the applicator that I couldn't clear. Eventually it just became useless.

Cotton swabs! i have those! thats a neat idea i can try right away! Yea i buffed every layer with steel wool in between, i didnt have that pooling problem, but that was what TF had suggested so i was doing that as per his tutorial probably prevented it right from the start

Good to know about those masking pens...i may still try one anyway. Thanks for the tips/info bro!

From
    Ferndale, MI

Helmet looks great! Quick question, what kind of graphite paper are people using? i got a pack from office depot, and no matter how hard or light i press, nothing shows up. i have tried mechanical pencil and a regular sharpened pencil both with no luck. thanks for any help!

Hm...thats odd.usually it transfers with hardly any pressure. What im using is called "super chacopaper/magic transfer paper" Its a light blue color and wipes away with a damp cloth. Some of the transfer papers (including mine) have a protective film on one side, make sure yours does not, or that you remove it. The first time i used this one i just transferred onto the protective sheet....genius i am LOL!

Looks like a good start. My only critism would be to watch the scale of the damage. It's easy with the layered method for each layer to become exaggerated so the scale gets a little out of control, something I constantly struggle with...

terminal fettler said: View Post
    Looks like a good start. My only critism would be to watch the scale of the damage. It's easy with the layered method for each layer to become exaggerated so the scale gets a little out of control, something I constantly struggle with...
    Thanks man, means alot comin from a true master!

Do you have any tricks or tips to help maintain the scaling of the damage, or is it a "by eye" sort of thing? I printed all of Raf's templates at the same scale..actually had to do 95% printing them from photoshop, and they all seemed to match up pretty good i thought. Its harder to do with my scratch build cuz its all kinds of screwy in comparison with a more true to proportion helmet. The right back panel and the cheeks from Raf's templates didnt fit on this helmet correctly because the build isnt as close to the screen used proportion as i would have liked, assuming Rafs templates are proportioned correctly for an accurately proportioned helmet. I will definitely keep that in mind next time though! My Next one will be a FPH2 so i have a feeling the templates will fit better on that
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Nov 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM.

Since i have to wait for the paints to get here to do the mandibles, i decided to do the kill stripes. Again, im not thrilled, but they came out ok. I didnt have the orange so i just used a little red spray paint for this bucket and sprayed over it with the yellow until it looked good enough. I also tried to take this in brighter daylight..but the cell phone still doesnt quite show the color correctly. Anyway, here it is.

From
    New York

This is looking great! It's gonna be awesome.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Colors look better!

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Colors look better!
    yea i took these shots close to the window during the day lol..still not quite right looking cuz of the dumb cell phone, but much better! lol

From
    England

The daylight makes a massive difference, the earlier shots having a rather gray look but I knew they had to be right. That main green (is it 78?) is one colour straight from the pot so thethere's no mixing as I recall. I think the kill stripes look great and the red works well and really bring along the overall look towards fett. Even if waiting for colours you should be able to mask out with tape and fluid the base grey? Is it 147 (or 107) to start with. Anyway it looks good to me. Coming on very nicely.