Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 9:52 AM - Depot Fett...DONE!!! See post #63!!!!!!!! #1

    I looked everywhere for sintra and I couldn't find any so I finally found the Home Depot buckets and figured I'd give that a try. I used the templates posted on these forums, cut the pieces with a dremel, and cut down a $15 batting helmet.

    GLUE has been a big issue. I have tried about 5 types. So the far the only one that seems to do anything is PVC glue. In regluing again and again it's looking a little messy, but once it's in one piece I will fill and sand as best I can.

    I also picked up a green face sheild and cut it last night. I just taped it in place for the pics. I also cut out a few stalks for the rangefinder from 1/4" aluminum on our plasma table.

    Please don't be too critical. This is my first attempt. I still have to fill in the cheeks which should starighten it out a bit. I just hope it ends up looking better than the Don Post '95 I was about to spend $80 plus shipping on from Ebay.

    I hope these pics show up. If not you can just see them posted on my blog (http://hnk01.blogspot.com/)



    Last edited by hankey01; Nov 26, 2006 at 8:39 PM.
  2. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15
    Mar 15, 2006, 10:09 AM - Re: Depot Fett #2

    Well I think it looks nice!
    Work on!
  3. MediaGuyPJ's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    463
    Mar 15, 2006, 10:28 AM - Re: Depot Fett #3

    DUDE THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!

    You should make one with logo's all over the place like Nascar Fett...eventhough I am not a fan it would be awesome. Seeing the labels and adds all over armor and the bucket. It looks sooo cool, its just kind of funny.

    BUt its soo cool you have done a good job.
  4. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mar 15, 2006, 10:57 AM - Re: Depot Fett #4

    Man, I know Hankey from numerous other sites...and add the dent to yet another (you gonna blame this one on me?)

    He's got major talent...and an awesome SW collection. makinghis own Fett is just one of his major accomplishments...he made an R2!!

    mutt
  5. SarlaccBits's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,409
    Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 AM - Re: Depot Fett #5

    That is one good looking helmet!
    Wow!
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 AM - Re: Depot Fett #6

    Thanks for the kind words guys. I am just glad I didn't get butchered here!

    I think I'll stick with the Boba Fett look, but I like the Nascar idea!

    Muttley...my desires greatly outweigh my talents, but thanks! Yes this Fett IS entirely your doing! It was a seed in my brain, but you made it grow into another obsession.
  7. Mar 15, 2006, 11:08 AM - Re: Depot Fett #7

    Thats looking really good . . .much respect for scrathbuilding man It cant be easy. keep up the good work
  8. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Mar 15, 2006, 12:30 PM - Re: Depot Fett #8

    lookin' good so far!

    for the glue, one thing i do pretty often is mix glues... use one quick bonding thing like superglue or even hot glue to hold things in place. then use a slower setting, stronger glue for the real strength (like goop)

    for plastic Plumber's Goop rocks.

    also, if you are trying to bend the pieces into shape and glue them, try heating up the plastic a bit first.. it will help it curve into shape and stresses the glue less. just don't overheat it!

    i really want to do a scratch build some day. it reminds me of when i was a kid and couldn't get the toys i wanted my mom to buy me... i'd cut up carboard boxes and make my own, and half the time they were more fun than the "real" ones!
  9. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 1:16 PM - Re: Depot Fett #9

    Thanks again for the kind words. means a lot considering some of the amazing Helmets I have seen looking through these posts!!!!!!!!!!

    I'll have to get some Krazy Glue to use in conjunction with a slower more permanent glue...good idea.

    I called a couple of Canadian Tire stores (I'm in Canada obviously) and they don't have the Plumber's Goop or the 3M CA40 Glue that muttley told me about elsewhere. Any ideas where I could find them?
  10. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Mar 15, 2006, 2:30 PM - Re: Depot Fett #10

    Quote hankey01 said:
    I called a couple of Canadian Tire stores (I'm in Canada obviously) and they don't have the Plumber's Goop or the 3M CA40 Glue that muttley told me about elsewhere. Any ideas where I could find them?

    i get my goop at home depot.
  11. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 2:33 PM - Re: Depot Fett #11

    Thanks..I just got back from my lunchtime trip to Home Depot..yes they did have it.

    I can't wait to try it out!
  12. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    Mar 15, 2006, 4:40 PM - Re: Depot Fett #12

    sweet helmet man, how much did it run ya? I just might try it when I see your finished one.
  13. Ronin677's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,903
    Mar 15, 2006, 5:05 PM - Re: Depot Fett #13

    Hey man that is freakin mind blowing, welcome to the scratch built club

    here is my feeble attempt (sorry the angle makes it look evn worse than it is)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0242.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	9106  
  14. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 5:08 PM - Re: Depot Fett #14

    Well, so far I am into it for $10 for 2 home depot buckets and $15 for the batting helmet from Wal-Mart. Of course on top of that will be glue and body filler. I wasted more money on glue than I should have, but now that I *think* I have that sorted out it could be done for $10 worth of glue.

    I had a Dremel and cutoff disks...so they could be considered an extra cost too, but I already had them.

    I figured this would cost be as much as the '95 Don Post, but I hope it will look better and I will have the pride in knowing I did it myself.
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 5:11 PM - Re: Depot Fett #15

    Quote Ronin677 said:
    Hey man that is freakin mind blowing, welcome to the scratch built club

    here is my feeble attempt (sorry the angle makes it look evn worse than it is)
    Feeble?!?! That looks great!!! Any ideas how you will get the triangle in the forehead yet? I think I see a dent on top. How did you make it?
  16. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Mar 15, 2006, 6:44 PM - Re: Depot Fett #16

    Dude Hankey, that is looking killer. I promise you that if you keep to the tablets, it will be 100 times BETTER than the Don Posts. Good luck. and good work so far.
  17. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    Mar 15, 2006, 7:27 PM - Re: Depot Fett #17

    Quote hankey01 said:
    Well, so far I am into it for $10 for 2 home depot buckets and $15 for the batting helmet from Wal-Mart. Of course on top of that will be glue and body filler. I wasted more money on glue than I should have, but now that I *think* I have that sorted out it could be done for $10 worth of glue.

    I had a Dremel and cutoff disks...so they could be considered an extra cost too, but I already had them.

    I figured this would cost be as much as the '95 Don Post, but I hope it will look better and I will have the pride in knowing I did it myself.
    Ok, when it's finished, could you PM me the directions to it?
  18. Admin Staff webchief's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,704
    Mar 15, 2006, 9:06 PM - Re: Depot Fett #18

    I have nothing but the utmost respect for people who completely scratch build their props. This buckets are awesome!
  19. Qman101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    199
    Mar 15, 2006, 10:41 PM - Re: Depot Fett #19

    nice! i should really give it a go with buckets...
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 15, 2006, 11:30 PM - Re: Depot Fett #20

    Thanks again! I really do hope it looks better when I get it all together and clean it up all the messy glue and edges.

    Hopefull Fett, It really is pretty easy...so far. I am just making it up as I go, but I found the buckets, printed out the templates, cut them out, traced them onto the buckets (around of course) and cut them out with a cut off attachment on my dremel. Then I took a batting helmet and tried my best to cut it straight (I eyeballed the height of it using the profile in the templates). I then just glued one layer of the mask to the helmet, then I glued the outer layer to that layer (after a day of glue drying). I am currently working on the cheekbone pieces which are tricky. I have cut them into a few pieces (each end of the cheekbone) and used them to fix it in place. The next step will be to fill it in. Once that is done and I have glued the crap out of it from the inside I will take body filler to all the bad parts, seams, etc. Then I can start working on some of the details.

    I'm really just winging it and looking at posts of other people who have scratch built.

    The hardest thing is making the glue stick for me. Maybe some different types of buckets will have a plastic that is easier to work on. This plastic is perfect for thickness and ease of cutting and shaping.

    I love your quote....I think it applies...."Those that never take risks never know what could have been." Even if you make one and it looks bad..at least you know how to make it better next time.
  21. Zurath Kodul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    Mar 16, 2006, 1:33 AM - Re: Depot Fett #21

    Quote hankey01 said:
    Thanks again! I really do hope it looks better when I get it all together and clean it up all the messy glue and edges.

    Hopefull Fett, It really is pretty easy...so far. I am just making it up as I go, but I found the buckets, printed out the templates, cut them out, traced them onto the buckets (around of course) and cut them out with a cut off attachment on my dremel. Then I took a batting helmet and tried my best to cut it straight (I eyeballed the height of it using the profile in the templates). I then just glued one layer of the mask to the helmet, then I glued the outer layer to that layer (after a day of glue drying). I am currently working on the cheekbone pieces which are tricky. I have cut them into a few pieces (each end of the cheekbone) and used them to fix it in place. The next step will be to fill it in. Once that is done and I have glued the crap out of it from the inside I will take body filler to all the bad parts, seams, etc. Then I can start working on some of the details.


    I love your quote....I think it applies...."Those that never take risks never know what could have been." Even if you make one and it looks bad..at least you know how to make it better next time.
    Ok, it does seem simple. And thank you for the complement, I figured it would fit on TDH just fine.
  22. Ronin677's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,903
    Mar 16, 2006, 7:28 AM - Re: Depot Fett #22

    Quote hankey01 said:
    Feeble?!?! That looks great!!! Any ideas how you will get the triangle in the forehead yet? I think I see a dent on top. How did you make it?
    I will dremel the triangles in at the last moment. The dent (sorry for tthe pic) was created by drilling a huge hole in the top of the dome, filling it with resin and then poking a rounded hammer into it (see attached pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0243.jpg 
Views:	1048 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	9110  
  23. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 16, 2006, 9:31 AM - Re: Depot Fett #23

    Good old bondo! I'll have to do the same thing.

    I added the lower parts of the curved cheek pieces last night. IOt was a bit tricky....thank god I have lots of little clamps and tape on hand. Now that the face is held together I should be able to fill in the rest of the cheeks. If I need to I'll heat them up as suggested.

  24. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mar 16, 2006, 11:44 AM - Re: Depot Fett #24

    Hankey, man looking good! I may have to do that, it already looks better than my DP97 (although it was free, so I ain't gonna complain).


    mine is rough rough rough, and whoever had this ripped off the right earcap. so I gotta rebuild that and build a rangefinder. I've been reading sss tutorial on that one...friggin awesome.

    How are you gonna do the earcaps? anyone got any good tutorials on that? and I noticed you have an extra stalk in that first pic? you should mail that one down to me!!

    oh and the other scratchbuilt I've seen the guy sectioned the helmet and made it bigger...did you have to do that too..the helmet looks like you didn't have to.

    again...good work

    Neil
  25. Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    109
    Mar 16, 2006, 11:54 AM - Re: Depot Fett #25

    Free is good. If it wasn't for you and your DP '97 I woulnd't have had the urge to do this!!!! GREAT pic of the VERY young Boba Fett.

    I eyeballed the templates and I really should have widened my helmet, but I decided to just skip that and make it a little narrow. It's about 1/2" too narrow..but don't tell anyone.

    I haven't even thought about the earcaps yet. I'll have to figure something out..maybe plastic or aluminum.

    Oh..about the aluminum stalk..I work at a steel fab shop. Check your PM!

Similar Threads

  1. Home Depot Harness
    By Foxbatkllr in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2010, 4:54 PM
  2. Depot Fett..DONE!!!!!!!
    By hankey01 in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 6, 2007, 11:04 AM
  3. Anybody use Plastic Fusion from Home Depot?
    By Jodo Kast 3 in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb 7, 2005, 1:50 PM