Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 26, 2009, 10:31 AM - D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #1

Iíve not shown a lot of my work here, so I thought I would post up my progress. Itís been slow Ė Iím in no hurry.

I first want to the Garrett for all his help. Heís been there for me time and time again. Heís truly an asset to this board, the community, and the hobby. Thank you Garrett for answering all my questions, continuing to provide me your advise and your honest opinions and feedback. I look forward to continuing to learn from you.

So here is my progress for now. Itís a Fang with Spidyfett Ears. 100% layers as taught by my master.

Iíve also come to realize that the ears are going to be a problem. Since itís a Fang, I had modify the ear to fit the metal ears. Not knowing what I was doing at the time, I cut the ear off, and inserted the metal ear. Iím not 100% happy with that solution since I donít have that bit of ear thatís attached to the dome. A minor problem. As I finish that ear, Iíll add some depth to the metal ear and paint to match the dome. It wonít be 100% since it will not be physically attached to the dome and will have a seam, but I hope to ďcloseĒ the gap.

So here we go Ė please let me know what you think.

Raw and clean

Gray Base

Jan 26, 2009, 10:32 AM - Re: DN ESB Bucket Paint Job #2

Silver being Masked.

Dark Gray Layer

Jan 26, 2009, 10:33 AM - Re: DN ESB Bucket Paint Job #3

Purple Layer on the Mandibles/Trim

Red Layer on Mandibles/Trim

Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 AM - Re: DN ESB Bucket Paint Job #4

Black on the upper Cheeks

Green on the Lower Cheeks

Iím currently working on the back panels. So Iíll update that later on. It will be a whileÖ since Iím slow..
    Jan 26, 2009, 12:47 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #5

Im no expert, but to me it looks great and im sure the rest will be just as good.
    Jan 27, 2009, 7:25 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #6

Thanks Marky. I'm starting to think it's not that good... since no one really is commenting on it...
    Jan 27, 2009, 8:24 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #7

If you like the way it looks, then who cares what others think! 8) The purpose of WIP threads, IMO, is not to get "approval" from folks on this site. It is to show your original work to ensure that others know that YOU did it and aren't claiming someone else's work and to get constructive feedback from others. YOU are your toughest critic. Let's be honest, the kid out there that sees you in costume won't notice that scratch X is 2 microns to the left of where it is supposed to be!

Don't worry about the low post count...keep plugging away! It looks good. So, constructive feedback time: from the pics, it looks like the "purple" areas around the grey scratches is just a bit too purple. It could be a trick of the lighting, so I'm not sure. The only other thing is that the bucket seems to be lacking some of the finer detail found in the ESB paint job. This sort of detailing is hard to achieve when doing a layered paint job. BUT...that being said, you have chosen to do a layered paint job, so HATS OFF to you b/c I would be too chicken to try that!

Great work! Keep it up!!!
    Jan 27, 2009, 8:43 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #8

Thanks Mike. I was just looking for feedback. I appreciate you taking some time to let me know what you think. You are right, if I like it, it really doesn't matter right

I think some of the color is a bit off due to the ****** pictures I take and the flash, it looks a lot different (it's almost hard to see the purple) in person.

I need to do some of the finer scratching, grime, etc as well. These shots are pretty much directly after removing the masking. I was going to wait until I get more layers on before I really get the scratching.

I don't like how the damage appears to be "rounded" in areas. I think I can sharpen up some of those through the scratching process, but we shall see.

Its my first Boba paint job, so I'm learning a lot as I go through the process.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Jan 27, 2009, 8:57 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #9

soz man - havent taken time to post cos I was thinking.... man I'd be too chicken to give this a go myself. this ur 1st bucket? looking good mate, and kudos on using layered.

hate to comment on colours, as photos never seem to give the real life item any justice, I usual presume we are all singing off the same hymn sheet with all the info on paint lists out there; and as long as it looks sort of there on the piccies I make no other comment.

agree with Mike - as long as u are happy. Although some approval from forum stalwarts is nice. just so you (i, we etc) know we arent goign wildly off course.

I was thinking of tackling this too myself once the weather gets better in UK. and I was thinking of goign for a half layered/ half topical approach. the big chunks I was gonna layer eg mostly the back - then cheat and go topical from then on

as already mentioned - lots of fine detail on teh ESB which would make pure layered just that bit TOO fiddly for my sausage fingers.

looking good. feelin envious.

Nate
  10. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jan 27, 2009, 11:08 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #10

Quote Darth_Nickel said: View Post
    Thanks Marky. I'm starting to think it's not that good... since no one really is commenting on it...
    I think it looks great.. As Shocknurse has stated, it is all on how You feel the work is coming out. There are some that would not have even attempted painting a helmet on their own, and you could have easily went out and purchased a MR helmet or something..........in the end you will feel better by doing the work yourself IMO.... and I must say layered is a VERY VERY difficult task...getting the scratches to match is extremely hard on a layered style paint job.

I will say in some spots it does look rushed...sometimes that's a good thing, but for layered it can start to make it look choppy and segmented.
    So slow down.

Try some extra fine steel wool to help blend the colors, but not too much. don't want to get rid of the work you just did. But this will help blend and Flatten the color a bit more.

hope that helps.

Alex
    Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #11

Thank you Alex!!! I appreciate the comments and advise. I'll keep at it.
  12. Jan 27, 2009, 12:37 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #12

I think you've done a great job Brad... Considering this is your first layered paint job and you've had me ranting on endlessly about the best way to do things... It does take practice to hone the techniques we've been chatting about through PMs and the only way to get that experience is to crack on and paint a helmet, so fair play for taking the bull by the horns! I think as you start to complete the lid you'll begin to see where you need to improve things and then start planning your next paint job...
    Jan 27, 2009, 1:49 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #13

amen Garrett. Just remember those god aweful pics I sent you at the start

You have already taught me so much, and I thank you for taking the time to teach me man.
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:02 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #14

I think it looks great man. Keep up the good work. Lets see some more progress pics.
    Feb 1, 2009, 7:29 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #15

brad i can't wait to see that up close!!! i am definately gonna have to have you help me with painting my helmet.
    Feb 1, 2009, 8:19 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #16

Thanks Bill!!! It's too darn cold to do much of anything right now, but it's suppose to warm up later in the week (just above redonkulously cold).

You know you are always welcome to come over.
    Feb 1, 2009, 8:32 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #17

right this cold weather sucks!!!! i definately will be trying to come over and what not once i get my new helmet ordered.
    Feb 8, 2009, 12:35 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #18

We got a little break in the cold, so I was able to get some more paint work done. Here is the cream/concreat layer on the back panels. I've removed the masking, and will get a snap a picture before I start masking for the green.

Feb 8, 2009, 4:02 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #19

Here is the new cream with pretty much all the masking freshly removed. I will add some more details to the damage (trying to remove those rounded edges). I left some of the masking on so I didn't have to re-mask.

Let me know what you guys think.

20. Feb 9, 2009, 2:16 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #20

Thats come out really nice on the back, to sharpen edges you can pick the paint back to the silver with the propelling pencil, this can give some real authentic detail...
    Feb 9, 2009, 7:51 AM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #21

Once again... thank you TF!!! I figured I would have to pick at it a bit to sharpen the edges. I've also got some dental tools that I've used for some SS work. I may give those a run at the helmet as well. It should add some "interesting" scratches. I'll be happy to get the back panels done. I'm a little nervous about moving to the dome…. It's the most iconic looking area (in my oppinion). I still need to better fit the RF ear, so once I'm done with the back panel and can remove all the masking, I'll have a little bit of construction work/fitting to do before I get too far on the dome green.

I got one panel (right) masked off last night. I'm going to work on the left panel tonight. Perhaps I'll get the final green added sooner.. rather than later… Masking the cream/gray/silver/metal is much more of a challenge than I anticipated. There are a lot of little details that need to get added. I'm sure mine will not be spot on, but I hope I make a decent run at it. I've found my eye "gets lost" for lack of better terms. I KNOW I'm looking at it, yet I can't match up what I want to paint vs mask. It's like my brain goes on overload. If that makes sense. I may need to go back and do a little touch up once it's all on there.
    Mar 3, 2009, 2:55 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #22

So here is the latest update. It got cold before I could get the next layer on, so I had to wait for another day. TF and I also spent some time on the back green color. I fear, my application is just too thick so it's less transparent than it should be. I think the color turned out nice, but I do wish I was just a hair lighter on the application. The parts that are transparent are pretty darn cool...

I took some pictures in the morning light, so I'll try to add those tonight. These are fresh from the removal of the mask late at night.

23. Wes is offline Wes
    Mar 3, 2009, 4:05 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #23

DN,

I know you probably don't want to hear this now, but the keyslots need some structural work.

Take your time and keep practicing, not bad for your first layered bucket.
    Mar 3, 2009, 6:07 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #24

Thanks Wes. You're right... it's not what I wanted to hear. Can you explain a little more. I'm just trying to learn here.
  25. Wes is offline Wes
    Mar 4, 2009, 1:04 PM - Re: D_N ESB Bucket Paint Job #25

They should be more uniform and crisp if your going for an accurate replica.

This drawing is not to scale, just a reference to see what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files