Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Jun 9, 2014, 3:03 PM - Current DVH ESB Paintup #1

So i needed to sell my previous helmet to help pay the rent...but i wasnt worried as i knew id just make myself another I have a con this weekend that i promised id troop Fett for so i started on this on Wednesday last week.

here are som pics of where im at. I am using Raf's templates, as always, but had to tweak the back panels a bit. Had to decide if i wanted to fudge the vertical or horizontal damage and ended up doing a little of each...but if your not comparing next to a photo you'd never know. for the rest of the helmet the templates worked well with just some size adjustment. The helmet is my current DVH helmet based off of an MR. It basically a straight up MR copy at this point..with the fixed pinch of course, however i do plan on tweaks in the future for these.

and my fave detail on this one..the uneven paint due to the crack/repair that was on the original
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Jun 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Jun 9, 2014, 5:49 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #2

Looking good Lou......
    Jun 9, 2014, 6:46 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #3

Great looking back panels !
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 9, 2014, 9:06 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #4

Looking good Lou. Did you say you needed it finished by this weekend? Your probably not feeling any pressure , but I know I'd be. Best of luck I Know you'll be able to pull it off!
  5. Jun 9, 2014, 11:03 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #5

Thanks guys. this one is better than the last. I used a toothpick for the mask and it worked way better. Still refining my methods though. I have 3 to do for garrison mates :O

Heh yea this weekend....i just masked the silver damage on the mandibles/keyslots/trim and layed down the grey. I should be able to get er done by Thursday..cuttin it close i know lol
    Jun 10, 2014, 4:00 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #6

Lookin good Lou. I'd of hit the panic button by now, but seeing you're already up to the mandibles/ears/final weathering left is say you got this.
    Jun 10, 2014, 9:51 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #7

Lou,

Looking good...... I hear you about refining paint methods......
    Jun 10, 2014, 6:11 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #8

I'm new to the site so a hello to all,but as to the helmet....the multi layer damage on the back left panel is fantastic ,I'm actually thinking of gluing on thin sheets of mild steel(very thin) and spraying vinegar to have it rust up ..then buff off parts back to the bare metal leaving its o rust....

- - - Updated - - -

Auto correct sucks .....bits of rust ...
  9. Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #9

Sounds interesting BlackJack, if you do that id love to see it!

Ok i just layed down the final color on the mandibles trim. Tomorrow i'll remove the mask and do the kill stripes..then its just the ears and im done!
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jun 10, 2014, 10:17 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #10

Lookin' good brother! Would this possibly be for NYC Special Edition? haha
  11. Jun 11, 2014, 9:31 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #11

Thanks! .......Actually no..its for Eternal con in Long Island at The Cradle of Aviation Museum

Ok...its Wednesday and heres where im at...coming to the home stretch! Theres still some fine tuning i wanna do on some of the shapes, but for the most part, im happy with this. Will do the ears and kill stripes today..final weathering either tonight or tomorrow morning. I remembered i needed to make a new mold for the rangefinder and the lens from the poloroid too..gah!....so i'll do that today as well.

Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Jun 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM.
    Jun 11, 2014, 9:53 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #12

Coming along nicely Lou.....
    Jun 11, 2014, 10:51 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #13

Looking good buddy.
  14. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jun 11, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #14

👍👍
    Last edited by BobasDent1138; Jun 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM.
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jun 11, 2014, 1:04 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #15

Wow! Looks great! Also who's paint list is this? Rafal's?
  16. Jun 11, 2014, 2:33 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #16

Thanks guys

Its Mostly Terminal Fettlers Humbrol list, with a couple of floquils thrown in
  17. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jun 12, 2014, 1:54 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #17

Looking good for so fast...only thing I'd change would be the yellow on the back. It seems to bright in contrast to the other colors. The concrete still seems the way to go for that...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  18. Jun 12, 2014, 9:20 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #18

Thanks Dom.... i actually was experimenting with that color. I like TF color choice but wanted to see if i could tone it down a bit so its actually concrete floquil with some of humbrol 103 mixed in. Probably a tad too much. But i felt that color had a touch more creamyness to it than the concrete alone.

Of course now with the floquil being discontinued, im gonna have to find as many as i can, and then figure out a replacement with the Humbrols (or testors/ModelMaster)
    Jun 12, 2014, 10:17 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #19

Lou,

I'll take a look and let you know what Model Masters paint I used, I think it will work okay....
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jun 12, 2014, 1:00 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #20

Model masters concrete is damn near perfect match...bought some last month. There's a thread about it slacker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  21. Jun 12, 2014, 2:25 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #21

hahahaha ok awesome....i didnt even start looking yet as i have 3 bottles of the Floquil right now lol
    Jun 12, 2014, 10:48 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #22

Looking real sharp, excellent work!!
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Jun 13, 2014, 12:01 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #23

Everything is looking great so far! I am at the paint process too. I am currently going to start looking for and collecting all the right color paints. I am going to do spray cans because I can't afford to get a airbrush right now. I have been searching for all the different ways everyone has been painting their helmets. It seems kind of hard to get a definite answer on some things. It seems to me that everyone is layering every single color? As in primer, silver (for the metal), and then so fourth with each color; masking areas as they go for the scaring. But isn't that too many layers of paint? I would think that it would make it look to thick... Can anyone give me some insight on this before I venture down this path?
    -Adam
  24. Jun 13, 2014, 9:45 AM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #24

Thanks guys!

Adam, with airbrush the paint layers are very thin. The floquil, Humbrol and Model Master paints have very high pigment content and are usually thinned a bit before you run em through the airbrush. You are correct that every color is another layer for the most part. With rattlecans its a little more difficult, but not impossible. Just try and keep your layers as this as possible.

Not all painters do the layered method. Check out SuperJedi's paint ups, he does all topical.

Your likely not getting a definite answer because everyone does things a little different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok shes done for the most part. Still a few details i wanna tweak, but nothing major.

25. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Jun 13, 2014, 12:44 PM - Re: Current DVH ESB Paintup #25

Nice! Thanks for the advice! I just started looking at airbrushes on Amazon... Not bad prices. I could get one anywhere from $60 up to $100, coming with a little more tools. I am an art major and do have a certain level of experience in painting. Obviously airbrushing is different all in it's self. But I generally learn pretty quickly and hate buying cheap art supplies and then outgrowing them, leaving myself wanting a better quality... Does anyone happen to know a well priced airbrush kit that has a descent enough quality?