Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Comission to paint a helmet?

  1. #26
    batninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    From
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,900

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Something to take into consideration (and this goes for all aspects of the hobby), is that the majority of artisans do not do this for 'work', but rather their spare time in the evenings and on weekends. Throw family, church, soccer practice and Scouts in the mix, and their spare time can become quite expensive.

    A scenario:
    Bill is single, living alone, and has a great day job. He does not have any extracurricular activities. His spare time is not worth much, because he has so much of it. He might paint a helmet for $100.

    Jim has a wife, two little girls (both into soccer and ballet), and he is a youth minister at his church. His spare time is precious, and would cost quite a bit more. Jim's painting price is $600.

    A lot of people complain about the high prices for services, but I urge everyone to think about what their own 'spare time' is actually worth.

  2. #27
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    batninja said: View Post
    Something to take into consideration (and this goes for all aspects of the hobby), is that the majority of artisans do not do this for 'work', but rather their spare time in the evenings and on weekends. Throw family, church, soccer practice and Scouts in the mix, and their spare time can become quite expensive.

    A scenario:
    Bill is single, living alone, and has a great day job. He does not have any extracurricular activities. His spare time is not worth much, because he has so much of it. He might paint a helmet for $100.

    Jim has a wife, two little girls (both into soccer and ballet), and he is a youth minister at his church. His spare time is precious, and would cost quite a bit more. Jim's painting price is $600.

    A lot of people complain about the high prices for services, but I urge everyone to think about what their own 'spare time' is actually worth.
    Great point ....as always BN..

  3. #28
    Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    From
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,308

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Yep, someone approached me to do one recently. I have three kids, and a job that has me working 12 hours a day. I just told them "no" as there is no way I could have charged enough to make it worth the time I would have to put in.

    And BTW - I am not nearly as good as the other folks on this board
    Last edited by Bubba Fett; Nov 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM.

  4. #29
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    In no particular order I have put together a list of board members that I know of that offer painting services:
    If I missed anyone please let me know...
    (or let me know and I will remove your name if you don't want it posted)

    evan4218
    Darthmiller
    Rogue Studios
    Marrow Sun
    Fettpride
    AFettFullofDollars
    superjedi
    Man of War Studios
    bobamaker
    Webchief
    Motorfish
    micke
    Steve the Swede

    Hope this helps...

  5. #30
    superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    From
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    4,258

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Spidey,
    I don't think Steve the Swede should be on that list.
    He doesn't paint helmets.

    He has invented some kind of magical replication machine that makes him able to create
    exact copies of the actual Boba ESB helmet!! He's used it twice already that I know of! :thumbup

  6. #31
    Scott Kaufmann's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    From
    Boerne, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Someone else on the boards has that ability .

  7. #32
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    superjedi said: View Post
    Spidey,
    I don't think Steve the Swede should be on that list.
    He doesn't paint helmets.

    He has invented some kind of magical replication machine that makes him able to create
    exact copies of the actual Boba ESB helmet!! He's used it twice already that I know of! :thumbup
    ..that's funny...and soooo true..

  8. #33
    Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    From
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,308

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Thanks Spidey, that list is great. Very helpful!

  9. #34
    TeamFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Spidey, you're being too humble. You need to include yourself on that list of great painters.

  10. #35
    evan4218's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    From
    Roanoke, TX
    Posts
    1,789

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Spideyfett said: View Post
    I don't think many of the top painters even come close to a "Grand" (some do)..I think EVAN was just trying to make a point that all painters charge differently.....
    Yeah, there are some folks that chare that... I think the only maker breaker is if you need the painter to do heavy prep work and mods to the helmet. I spent as much time if not more moding Ripcodes MS1 to make it accurate then I did painting the darn thing. I HATE prep work so I will always charge quite a bit on that. You should be able to get a GREAT paintjob for $300-400 from a member on this board. There are so many talented folks here too.

  11. #36

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    evan4218 said: View Post
    Yeah, there are some folks that chare that... I think the only maker breaker is if you need the painter to do heavy prep work and mods to the helmet. I spent as much time if not more moding Ripcodes MS1 to make it accurate then I did painting the darn thing. I HATE prep work so I will always charge quite a bit on that. You should be able to get a GREAT paintjob for $300-400 from a member on this board. There are so many talented folks here too.
    And thats a heck of a good price for paint job and very affordable for a Fett paint. Make no mistakes folks, this stuff is ARTWORK,


    I think it's not so much a complaint of the price as much it is a complaint of just not have the cash to have one done.

    for instance using the example above:

    A scenario:
    Bill is single, living alone, and has a great day job. He does not have any extracurricular activities. His spare time is not worth much, because he has so much of it. He might paint a helmet for $100. This fellas can afford an UBER paint up I would think (or at least would not get assaulted by his wife LOL )

    Jim has a wife, two little girls (both into soccer and ballet), and he is a youth minister at his church. His spare time is precious, and would cost quite a bit more. Jim's painting price is $600. This fella probably could not afford it as a lump sum (payments are nice as Spidey has stated )
    I happen to fall into the "Jim and his wife" group.

    Someday, when I have the best bucket can get, I would love to have Evan or Spidey to paint a bucket for me. Their skill would require me to get the best helmet I can because I would not want to waste their skills on a sub-par bucket.

    Those fealls in particular have lifted painting fett buckets to a new level
    Last edited by pghfett; Nov 10, 2006 at 5:10 PM.

  12. #37
    Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    From
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,308

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    So, just to make sure I understand this correctly... Sending my melted Rubies to anyone on the list for prep and mods prior to painting is not a good thing?

    Sorry Evan, guess I won't be sending it with that crate of Bondo I was talking about after all.
    Last edited by Bubba Fett; Nov 10, 2006 at 5:00 PM.

  13. #38

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    LOL

    they are artists - not miracle workers LOL

  14. #39
    Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    From
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,308

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Ah, not true! They do work miracles. The Rubies might be a bit much, but...

    Oooh, cool idea for a contest at C4 there.

  15. #40
    Predatormv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2002
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,199

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    OOps spidey you forgot me . I also don't think Rouge Studios is taking painting jobs on helmets these days. I could be wrong but I think he is pretty busy.

  16. #41
    Tim Allen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2002
    From
    THE OC , Southern Cali
    Posts
    1,350

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Im looking ton get back into painting so if anyone looking to get there bucket painted esb LMK. Perferable MSH, MS, or any other higher end helmets I would be willing to do a paint up on. PM for details

    edit: heres a pic of the 1st helm i ever paint. Dont have a bucket anymore and was never fully satisfied with that paint job and looking to get some more done.

    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3981190

  17. #42
    Ripcode's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    From
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Posts
    2,268

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    evan4218 said: View Post
    Yeah, there are some folks that chare that... I think the only maker breaker is if you need the painter to do heavy prep work and mods to the helmet. I spent as much time if not more moding Ripcodes MS1 to make it accurate then I did painting the darn thing. I HATE prep work so I will always charge quite a bit on that. You should be able to get a GREAT paintjob for $300-400 from a member on this board. There are so many talented folks here too.
    Justin is almost done with the paintjob on my helmet! I know the mods he did. I saw the prep work. I saw the paintjob as it progressed. He is now in the home stretch.

    Spideyfett and people he mentioned are artists. They deserve what they charge!

    All you have to do is look at the finished product and you will know why.

  18. #43

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    GeekPastor said: View Post
    I'm not scarred off my the price... I just don't have the $$$

    I can't get an airbrush machine... so I'm going to try spray paints... Thanks for the help and advice... I'm sure I'll be posting many more questions. Thank you for being patient with a noob!
    here i am replying to a week old post. ah well life's been busy

    nothing wrong with rattlecans! i've used them on all of my fett stuff. i did some airbrushing on my jet pack, but everything else has been from home depot!

  19. #44

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    I think most of these painters specialize in ESB right? Not many ROTJ(pure) painters so that could also add to the price, right?

  20. #45
    Predatormv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2002
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,199

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    I have done ROTJ and Pre-pro2. I think the ESB is harder then the ROTJ so personally I would charge more for it.

  21. #46
    evan4218's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    From
    Roanoke, TX
    Posts
    1,789

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    Predatormv said: View Post
    I have done ROTJ and Pre-pro2. I think the ESB is harder then the ROTJ so personally I would charge more for it.
    I would have to disagree with you on that one. I just finished up Ripcodes ROTJ and if done correctly I feel its much more detail orintated with fewer Ref pics availabe then the ESB. I fet it to be the most complex paintjob out of all the helmets. ESB has fewer battle damage and more references from every possible angle to help out. JMO

  22. #47
    mrgr8ness's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    From
    Central Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,603

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    I would agree Evan. I did 2 ROTJ's and now starting to do an ESB. I think the ESB is coming easier.

  23. #48

    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    From
    northern NJ
    Posts
    1,061

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    i dont see wat all the fuss is about....if u buy a rubies....it has a paintjob on it ALREADY! everybody wins!!



    jk of course...

  24. #49

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    zombierepellent said: View Post
    how much did he charge?
    ONE MILLION DOLLARS, MUAHHHAAAAAA!!!!!
    Seriously, the exact price is a private deal between me and Daz and it wasn't just for the helmet but also the entire armor (sans the jet pack). I don't think it's anybodys buissines what the exact numbers were but let me just say that both me and Daz was VERY happy with the final price we settled on.

    Let me tell you one thing though, you don't become rich painting Fett helmets, faaaaaaar to many hours involved. I think many here will agree.

    Steve.

  25. #50

    Re: Comission to paint a helmet?

    The time involved in preparing the surface (especially with recasts) of a helmet has taken me forever it seems-as it's only the second helmet I've done. Luckily I'm creating a custom, so I don't have to match the Boba/Jango buckets exactly. So it shouldn't take as long to paint, which I've just begun...


Similar Threads

  1. Showoff: First Helmet Paint Job
    By Nickpocalypse in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 8, 2010, 9:11 AM
  2. Showoff: Fettpride Helmet ESB paint job...NEW PAINT PICS!
    By godaking in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2009, 11:25 AM
  3. helmet paint in the uk
    By ARAGORN in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 18, 2007, 2:00 AM
  4. My Second Helmet Paint
    By stormtrooperguy in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 AM
  5. What's the best way to get paint OFF a helmet?
    By jeezycreezy in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 8, 2004, 7:55 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •