Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 8, 2004, 12:18 AM - Chin Strap/Cup Info #1

Hey all. For the sake of accuracy, I was thinking about addin a chin strap on my MSH2. The original ESB bucket did have a chin-strap right???? If indeed it did, does anyone know what it looks like, ie. was it white, or have a little cup for the chin, etc...I seem to remember a pic showing the inside of one of the original buckets, showing a white hard-had type suspension, (I think Braks might have posted this???) but I can't remember if you could see the chin strap or not. Making a plain old chin strapp would be easy enough, but I was hoping to match the original as closely as possible. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts or ideas, or possibly that inside of the bucket pic??? Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Damian
    Feb 8, 2004, 12:45 AM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #2

Here is a pic of the ESB chin strap:

I have found a very close, if not indentical, chinstrap to the one seen in photos. I say very close because we have so few photos of the chin strap it is impossible to be 100 percent sure. I'll take of a of the chin strap/cup I found.

-edited to correct info
    Feb 8, 2004, 2:31 AM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #3

Hey!!!! Thats what I was looking for!!! Thanx a lot Tyler!!!I have a few old hockey helmets with chin straps that have a similar look to that. Thanx again,
    Damian
    Feb 8, 2004, 12:19 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #4

That's exactly what i was thinking, my old football helmet has a chinstrap nearly identical to that.
    Feb 8, 2004, 12:37 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #5

No prob! You're right, I don't think the chin cup is terribly unique. There are quite a few chin cups that are very similar to the one pictured. It's just finding the right variation.
    Feb 14, 2004, 2:42 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #6

I was not aware of a chin strap. If anyone is selling ones like the one use in ESB, please let me know. Thanks!

John Barrows, Jr.
    TK-1776
    Feb 14, 2004, 4:05 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #7

To me - that cup looks leather and i think more motorcycle helmets had leather in that vintage (late 70s) than sports gear did. I could be wrong though...
    Feb 14, 2004, 5:16 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #8

Good point DCB!!! The more I look at it, it does look more like an older motorcycle/snowmobile helmet cup made from leather or vynll.
    Feb 18, 2004, 7:29 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #9

Here's a direction to try... horse riding helmets. I have one here (modern) that has a similar cup - but is black plastic. Perhaps while picking up girths - they bought a few helmets too
    Feb 18, 2004, 7:52 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #10

I know somtimes people in the hobby have a tendency to get locked into certain assumptions, but given what I found, I really think the original might have been plastic.

The strap I found is from an English helmet made in 1976. Again, I am not sure that the strap and cup are unique to a particular helmet. I believe it is more a matter of region and time.

Feb 18, 2004, 7:54 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #11

whoa... there it is

What sort of helmet is that from¿
    Feb 18, 2004, 8:06 PM - Re: Question about chin-strap on original bucket #12

I have to make a correction to my earlier post. I incorrectly thought the Jedi helmet used a different chin strap. But I over-looked a photo which clearly shows the same chin strap/cup. In fact, it looks like they used the attachment pulled straight out the helmet, even with the leather strip at the end.

The ESB attachment has been modified a bit, as they moved the d-rings to the very end of the strip that comes out of the slit.

It came from a British SWAT-type helmet.
  13. thksdad is offline thksdad
    Jul 4, 2004, 4:23 PM - Merged: Chin Strap info #13

hey, for those who have used a chin strap on their helmets, how did you guys attach them to your helmets??? what did you use for it? thanks,
    ~Michael
    Jul 4, 2004, 5:40 PM - Re: Chin Strap Info #14

TD, can you post a pic of the helmet that you found that part in?
    Jul 4, 2004, 9:10 PM - Re: Chin Strap Info #15

This isn't the exact helmet I found, but it is in the same style, and it also appears to have a chinstrap close to the original:

Jul 4, 2004, 9:16 PM - Re: Chin Strap Info #16

Is that some style of safety helmet? The only reason I ask is because of the leather collar in the back. Might say it looks like a firefighter helmet, if I were more familar with European style gear
    Jul 4, 2004, 9:19 PM - Re: Chin Strap Info #17

I found these helmets while looking for "British SWAT-type helmets."

Jul 5, 2004, 10:15 AM - Re: Chin Strap Info #18

We have ton of those helmets at the police station here in Iceland, used to be old riot helmet´s but now we have new ones.
    Jul 7, 2004, 11:35 AM - Re: Chin Strap Info #19

mobius wrote:

We have ton of those helmets at the police station here in Iceland, used to be old riot helmet´s but now we have new ones.
    So......
    Any you feel like sending to the states?
    Heh Heh Heh
  20. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Sep 1, 2007, 5:50 PM - Boba fett helmet Chin cup #20

Hey, We found this and I thought I would post it up. It's from a British Riot helmet. I think this piece has many uses so I would assume it was not used just on riot helmets. Used to have a contact that had these but they are sold out. Just hit the search engines and you should be able to nab one. Sorry I didn't put this up sooner. Found this along with Tylerdurden, SS and Wes. Take care and sorry if you have already seen pic. Also I meant to include the strap in the title but forgot to but the strap and attachment harness are the accurate as well.

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chin-jpg  
    Last edited by Rogue Studios; Sep 1, 2007 at 6:58 PM.
  21. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 1, 2007, 7:00 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet Chin cup #21

There are more than a few wrong variations out there and one right one due to the straps and rings.
    Sep 5, 2007, 1:35 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet Chin cup #22

Too be honest, I never really knew that the ESB helmet had a chin cup, I thought it was just a strap similar to what the army kevlar's have.

-tubachris
  23. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Sep 6, 2007, 9:40 PM - Re: Chin Strap Info #23

This thread has been cleaned up and merged. Keep your posts on-topic and civil.
    Sep 6, 2007, 10:18 PM - Re: Chin Strap/Cup Info #24

I was kinda thinkin...that as long as you had the cup, I think it would be rather easy to re work the strap so that it matches the one seen on the fett bucket. The original looks to have the single D ring on the cup strap, which Would mean that the plain strap iis most likely attached to the other side of the Fett bucket. Shouldn't be that hard to rearrange the components by ripping the stiches out & then resewing. Only thing that bothers me, is that there seems to be only one D ring on the cup....so how the heck would you fasten the strap????/
    D
  25. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Sep 7, 2007, 7:28 AM - Re: Chin Strap/Cup Info #25

Jango's kid said: View Post
    Only thing that bothers me, is that there seems to be only one D ring on the cup....so how the heck would you fasten the strap????/
    D
    What they would do today: loop it and Velcro it.
    What they probably did in 197X: loop it and button snap it.