Subscribe
    Jun 5, 2007, 5:23 PM - Can't hear in my helmet. #1

So, while trooping over the weekend, I found that hearing was worse than normal. I have one fan that is near my right ear blowing on the T. So, that got me thinking. What do you think about removing both triangles and putting painted screen in with a mic behind it? Then buying a small amp and speaker and mounting it by my left ear.

Thought or ideas?
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Jun 5, 2007, 5:32 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #2

Quote asok said: View Post
    So, while trooping over the weekend, I found that hearing was worse than normal. I have one fan that is near my right ear blowing on the T. So, that got me thinking. What do you think about removing both triangles and putting painted screen in with a mic behind it? Then buying a small amp and speaker and mounting it by my left ear.

Thought or ideas?
    I am cutting my triangles, but for different reasons.

That might work though.
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Jun 5, 2007, 5:38 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #3

Hmmmm, that's not a bad idea. maybe you could try something like that with the borden connector? it'd be less noticable but at the same time might pick up your voice too.
    Jun 5, 2007, 6:06 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #4

Sounds like a good idea.

I personally am going to plant a mic or two in my chest armor and possibly the ammo belt.
    Jun 5, 2007, 6:17 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #5

I've heard some folks are using this to help hear in their helmets, it may be worth a look.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103603&cp
    Jun 5, 2007, 7:02 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #6

Had the same problem but solved it by using a cutting disk with my dremel and cut along the left ear (in the middle) and the three holes in the right ear... also, I cut all the ''T'' shapes int the back of the helmet... I can hear pretty decent and it helps with ventilation too!!!
    Jun 5, 2007, 7:41 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #7

On my Don post helmet I drilled out the borden connector and put the mic from this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103603&cp in it's place. I know it's not accurate but it is the same size and does look close( only people here know its different) . This setup works great. The only problem I have is the batteries don't last very long.
    Jun 5, 2007, 10:42 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #8

Thanks for the ideas. I like the RS mic. I will give that a try. Seeing it is only $10. If I kill it, then I am only out $10. I will take pics of it once I have it apart.

I have done the cut out the left ear before but, on my next helmet, I am going to have padding there.
  9. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Jun 5, 2007, 11:22 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #9

I just ignore people.
    It suits my personality & my character
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Jun 6, 2007, 4:03 AM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #10

There was a case where a member here went to a 501st event for the release of the trilogy that was unmodified, someone didn't hear him and he thought they were pretty rude. I wouldn't vouch for that method due to the fact that if you're witha group the whole group will get labeled by that person(s)
    Jun 6, 2007, 6:57 AM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #11

What

sorry couldn't hear you
  12. Jun 6, 2007, 9:52 AM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #12

I had sorta the same idea but i was thinking about putting the mic behind the mole on the right cheek.
    Jun 6, 2007, 11:15 PM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #13

This is what mine looks like installed. I just opened up the RS sound aid and stuck the mic out where the borden connector was. Only 2 things had to happen 1 was had to cut a small notch in the RS device case so the mic wires could go out the side and 2 drill a hole in my bucket... talk about nervous.
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_0606wed0039a.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	18085  
    Jun 9, 2007, 3:14 AM - Re: Can't hear in my helmet. #14

Has anyone thought about using a cellphone mic.? Some of them are wafer-thin and tiny. I had an old Nokia mic. in my jousting helmet, and it worked great. It also ran off of a watch battery.