Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 14, 2007, 9:37 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #51

Nice work!

This is my first time modeling something at this size. So please forgive my questions.
    Today I was working on a cardboard mocking up (before I start the polystyrene version).

Now I have some questions.
    1. How wide did you make the dome base (after you removed the center material?
    The dome base's width was given by the size of the WOF templates. See STEP 1: Pre-assembling the helmet and checking size for more details. I hope I could answer your question here...

2. How did you fuse the helmet's back seam together? I noticed in a few of your photos you had some holes in the back. With my mock up the seam keeps splitting apart and the helmet has lost it's shape.
    In the beginning temporary I used screws to hold the helmet seam together so there was an overlap of the material first.(This step wasn't really important and necessary)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6864.jpg 
Views:	3680 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	21754

Later I cut off the overlapping material and glued the seam directly together by using a stripe of styrene material behind the seam. (See STEP 2: Building the main body picture 2.

Keep up the awesome work.
    Thank you very much!

Hey, Digifett, any new pics yet?
    More will come this weekend - I guess, I am pretty busy right now, sorry you all have to wait so long. I will try to improve myself :o
    Feb 16, 2008, 7:43 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #52

More will come this weekend - I guess, I am pretty busy right now, sorry you all have to wait so long. I will try to improve myself :o
    Ouch, that was a little underestimated! Sorry again!! But I have really good reasons for my loooong Pause. I got a little Baby Fett again! Liam David, I am so proud, he is fantastic!!!!! My 3rd child, we are all so happy! I spent a lot of time with my family and a little in my company that was so good form me. So was it a good alibi? Hope you forgive me

Keyslot Frame

Not really a big deal to build the frame, just a little tricky because I missed the two side parts for the frame in the WOF templates. As I got my "The dented helmet" ref CDs I saw the real shape of that missing part. Alan did you originally meant this part here?

Name:	Key_Templates2.jpg 
Views:	3351 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	22739

The wonderful photographs of the ref cd showed me more a shape like this:

Name:	KeySlotSide.jpg 
Views:	3533 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	22741

So I cut out a pair something like this:

Name:	IMG_7281.jpg 
Views:	3342 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	22742

First I glued all parts together with the polystyrene glue, the keyslots I glued in the frame not "ont top" of the frame. On the backside I stabilized the whole construction so it will holds together much stronger:

Name:	IMG_7277.jpg 
Views:	3366 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	22744

Name:	IMG_7280.jpg 
Views:	3325 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	22745

Then I carefully found out where is the exact middle of the helmets back. I drew a line with a pencil right there. My helmet wasn't glued together exactly in the middle, that the reason why I checked it again.
    I printed out the "Rear Keyhole Frame" again from the WOF temps and with glue stick I put it in the exact middle position on the helmet and right underneath the brow band.
    With my "Dremel" (Rotary Tool) I cut out the hole for the frame I just built before.
    Together with the two new side parts and a gentle crack made with the scalpel in the "Rear Keyhole Frame" (See Picture A) I glued the whole thing into the helmet.

Name:	IMG_7286.jpg 
Views:	3440 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	22740

Picture A: Make a gentle crack right here and bend the frame a little:

Name:	IMG_6856.jpg 
Views:	3331 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	22738

Top and bottom of the frame I filled out with "leftover" styrene.

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg 
Views:	3411 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	22746

Name:	IMG_7298.jpg 
Views:	3449 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	22743

Hopefully tomorrow I have the time to write more. But I swear I will be faster than the last time !!
    Thank you for your patience!!!
    Last edited by digifett; Feb 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM.
    Feb 17, 2008, 6:29 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #53

That is looking really great!

As for the Keyslot recess I missed that on the templates but it has been on the todo list for some time. You've done a bang up job, so that it will make easy to follow what needs to be fixed.

Alan
    Feb 17, 2008, 7:19 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #54

Mein Gott, Digifett! You are really going for a screen-accurate bucket here, aren't you?

You are doing a great job - truly a testament to Alan's patterns. Kids are a blessing and can be very demanding on time. But that's the beauty of it. Baby Fetts just mean more stuff to make for them.

Take your time and have fun!

David.
    Feb 24, 2008, 2:43 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #55

Hi Christof!

Benutzt Du eine Lupe? Unglaublich, was man findet, wenn man ganz genau hinschaut ;-)
    Gre an Deine Familie,

Thomas

And in englisch ;-) :

Do you use a magnifying glass? Incredible what you find if you only look sharp at it ;-)
    Greetings to your family,

Thomas
    Feb 25, 2008, 9:08 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #56

Mein Gott, Digifett! You are really going for a screen-accurate bucket here, aren't you?
    I try...

You are doing a great job - truly a testament to Alan's patterns. Kids are a blessing and can be very demanding on time. But that's the beauty of it. Baby Fetts just mean more stuff to make for them.
    Thank you a lot! And you are right, making new kids does also keep the kid in you!
    Interesting website you have...

Do you use a magnifying glass? Incredible what you find if you only look sharp at it ;-)
    Greetings to your family,
    No, a microscope! Thanks mate, I still owe you something
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 26, 2008, 12:48 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #57

I buy my polystyrol in a special model shop close to a college for architect students. 1m x 0.5m is about 6$.
    Is it really important that it is Polystyrene, and not PVC? (Aka Sintra?) I can't even find the stuff on Google, let alone in a store in the U.S. PVC Sheets are pretty easy to find, but they're waaaaaay more expensive. (48x96" sheet was US$125.00 on one of the sites I looked at). Heck, if it's $6 for a big sheet, I'd almost offer to PayPal you US$50.00 to ship me a few sheets.

I actually tried For Sale signs like Jaiden did on his WoF build, but unfortunately, they are pretty rigid, and actually snapped in half when I bent the form of the helmet around to make it tubular. (Which REALLY, REALLY, ruined my night), plus I couldn't find signs nearly big enough to make the whole 'Mask' of the Bucket, or the base that is directly beneath it, so I had to cut them in sections, and reinforce them... which needless to say... didn't work.

This will be the 2nd bucket (well 3rd attempt, now that this one just collapsed) using WoF's templates, and this time, I'd really like to do it right. I've heard of others using Sintra, but I can't seem to find any local shops selling it, and ordering sheets for $125.00 each is a little outrageous for the 'budget fett' that this is meant to be.

Any suggestions folks?

(edit)

I did a little more searching around and found this:
    USPlastic.com

I was thinking of this one in particular. Much better price. I don't have much background knowledge on Plastics, anyone know if this would be suitable for bucket construction?

Also Digifett, what kind of glue might I be looking for, to keep this project together? I see you are using a product I don't recognize from the states, but perhaps we have something similar/comparable that I can pick up. Any ideas?
    Last edited by coffeehedake; Feb 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM.
    Feb 26, 2008, 4:25 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #58

Hi coffeehedake, see here more informations about "Styrene" also known as ABS at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene. Usually you will find this stuff everywhere. At Home Depot also as transparent sheets, so as signs. The glue that I prefer is just ordinary ABS glue. This stuff is a lot used when you build those "plastic models" from Revell or Airfix etc. I use the "Revell" ABS a lot. Revell is a german brand and as I know also pretty common in USA.
    Brands like Testors or Tenax have also plastic cement or welder glue for ABS material.
    For sure you will get ABS plastic sheets in special model shops and it should be very inexpensive. Modelshops for RC models usually have this stuff, too. Check your yellow pages to find one in your area.

When you bend the material be sure the material is not too cold. You may warm it up a bit by using a hair dryer or put it in the oven for some seconds.
    Feb 26, 2008, 5:29 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #59

Quote coffeehedake said: View Post
    I actually tried For Sale signs like Jaiden did on his WoF build, but unfortunately, they are pretty rigid, and actually snapped in half when I bent the form of the helmet around to make it tubular. (Which REALLY, REALLY, ruined my night), plus I couldn't find signs nearly big enough to make the whole 'Mask' of the Bucket, or the base that is directly beneath it, so I had to cut them in sections, and reinforce them... which needless to say... didn't work.
    Quote digifett said: View Post
    When you bend the material be sure the material is not too cold.
    Absolutely. I live in Florida where it's rarely too cold to work with plastic. You really can't work with plastic once it gets (and stays) below around 50*F.

As a temporary bond, I used masking tape for the joints and Gorilla Glue for the masks. The signs I used were big enough to make half of the helmet at a time. I joined the two right sides and two left sides together as one large piece and cut it out that way.

One thing I would have done differently (now that I have a Dremel) would be to glue a piece in the back and front to hold the joints together better.

Also, for my helmet base and top, and for the dome base, I used foam core board (Dollar Tree is the best value, but also Wal-Mart and Target near the posterboards). This way, you have a thick form to work with all the way through the process.

Sorry, Digifett. I didn't mean to hyjack the thread.

David.
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 26, 2008, 12:44 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #60

Absolutely. I live in Florida where it's rarely too cold to work with plastic. You really can't work with plastic once it gets (and stays) below around 50*F.
    Yeah, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, actually. I live in Connecticut, and its pretty cold here at the moment.

I ended up ordering that 48"x96" of Black ABS Sheeting, $28 isn't too bad, but I'm going to take a look at Home Depot up the street later today.

I actually bought all of the large "Garage Sale" signs Wal-Mart had and used them for the bucket that broke in half, we'll see how the ABS does instead.

At Home Depot also as transparent sheets, so as signs. The glue that I prefer is just ordinary ABS glue. This stuff is a lot used when you build those "plastic models" from Revell or Airfix etc. I use the "Revell" ABS a lot. Revell is a german brand and as I know also pretty common in USA.
    Digi, thanks for the suggestion on the glue. There's an RC shop right up the street from both the Home Depot and Wal-Mart right near my house, and they will probably have the ABS Glue. (They sell Revell paint and model products, I am sure) Do you use anything in particular to keep the pieces in place instantly (other than clamps) such as super-glue or hot glue?

I ended up picking up 2 rolls of 3M Flue Tape for the baking part, it's not as sticky as I would've hoped, but I couldn't find any of the FiberGlass High Temp Tape you used. The Flue Tape is made for very high temperatures, and I suppose it will do the job.

So far I have purchased 2 3" C clamps, 1 small spring loaded clamp, a medium container of Bondo, I've burned through 4 1/2 bottles of super-glue, I bought 1 bottle of Elmer's Miracle Glue (forget what the real name is, it's not the white stuff, but takes too long to set; 2-4 hours), 1 Spray can of Krylon Premium Primer, 3 different grade sanding sponges, 1 Package of Medium Grade Sand paper, 4 Large Garage Sale Signs (only have 1 left now), 1 Foam Board ala Jaiden's guide, and 50 pages of Wizard of Flight's Templates...

LOL

My hands are totally covered with superglue at the moment, even though I'm at work typing this, going to have to sand the stuff off.

I've been taking pictures of everything I do, and all of the materials I use along the way. My aim is to put all of this into a PDF, which is a little easier to archive than the forum posts.

Hopefully when all this is said and done I have at least one decent bucket to use for Halloween next year. Finishing this project is actually on my "must do before I die" list, along with skydiving, and a few unmentionable items...

Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

- Coffee
    Feb 26, 2008, 1:26 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #61

I used a Home Depot bucket to make the mask/ mandibles and back. I then attatched it with epoxy to a hardhat I modifid for the dome. I still have the basic helmet shape but I abandoned it because I accidentally made the mask/ mandible part too short so my helmet is a little small around my face. It will be good enough eventually for my kids helmet!Anyway...

The bucket is fairly flexible to work with but rigid enough to make a sturdy helmet.
    Feb 26, 2008, 3:33 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #62

Wow coffe that's quiet a list you bought there! Now you can build your own Mandalorian army!

There's an RC shop right up the street from both the Home Depot and Wal-Mart right near my house, and they will probably have the ABS Glue.
    It's perfect when you have a RC shop around, there also you will get the glassfiber tape. It's a lot used to stiffen up small airplanes.

Do you use anything in particular to keep the pieces in place instantly (other than clamps) such as super-glue or hot glue?
    Yes I do use super glue to keep parts in place. See post 37 "Applying the mask"

I've been taking pictures of everything I do, and all of the materials I use along the way. My aim is to put all of this into a PDF, which is a little easier to archive than the forum posts.
    When this building thread is final we also have planned a PDF version - with Alans help.
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 26, 2008, 4:43 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #63

Quote digifett said: View Post
    When this building thread is final we also have planned a PDF version - with Alans help.
    I'd be glad to help with that too!

Originally, I was going to model the helmet in 3D Studio MAX and use a stereolithography machine to make a master bucket to be molded. Unfortunately, it turned out the process was too expensive unless I really wanted to get serious about selling buckets, which I am not.

I actually did model the helmet:

It didn't come out too bad, but I suppose it will never leave its digital format and become tangible. That's okay.

Quote clonecollector said:
    I used a Home Depot bucket to make the mask/ mandibles and back. I then attatched it with epoxy to a hardhat I modifid for the dome. I still have the basic helmet shape but I abandoned it because I accidentally made the mask/ mandible part too short so my helmet is a little small around my face.
    I actually considered doing that as well, but after seeing how well a few of these have come out, I decided to stick as close to the guides as I could.

I'm heading out now to check the RC shop.

TTYL Guys, and thanks again!
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 26, 2008, 10:23 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #64

Dang... the RC shop went out of business a few months ago! No luck on the Styrene at Home Depot, they had Clear Polycarbonate Plexiglass, glass, and so forth, PVC piping, and For Sale signs (smaller than the ones at Wal-Mart which I have butchered) but no ABS sheets or the like. I stopped at an art store, and AC Moore (arts and crafts) but they also had nothing, just posterboard and foamboard.

I did however, pick this up at Home Depot:

It specifically says it is for PVC and ABS plastics. I suppose it is really meant to bond PVC piping joints, but do you think it might be what I'm looking for?

I'll guess I'll have to wait for my 48"x96" sheet of Styrene and my Reference Photo discs to come in the mail before I continue work on the project.

- Coffee
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 27, 2008, 6:58 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #65

Stopped by FastSigns today, and they sold me the ONLY sheet of PolyStyrene they had, which happened to be 48"x96" in White. It was a lot more than the Black sheet I ordered ($65.00!!!) but I didn't care, because I want to get started on this now.

Had a nice chat with the folks that work there.

Before I found FastSigns, right down the street was a smaller sign shop called SignSource, which is privately owned. I had a long chat with the manager, Mark Williams, who was very knowledable about the material, even though he didn't stock it regularly.

He explained that Styrene is typically used for cheap throw-away signs for promotions, when a quick and dirty solution is necessary. He says it has a short shelf life, and brittles horribly due to temperature and light exposure (even indoor lighting). It has a tendency to yellow, as well, and he asked me a few questions about why I needed the material. I explained the basics, and he recommended I look into an industrial plastics supplier by the name of Industrial Safety Supply, who may have sheets of ABS plastic that would be suitable for things like American Football/Baseball helmets, as it is a lot more robust, but is much more expensive.

For now, I think I will stick to the plan, and use the Polystyrene, since the helmet will be painted, reinforced, and glued. Mark wasn't sure about the malleability of the thicker ABS under heat, but thought it would probably be about the same, but recommended I talk to ISS, since they deal with the materials constantly.

I'll speak with the folks at ISS later, but for now, I have more than enough Polystyrene to make a bucket, and probably the rest of the plastic parts of my armor. Not to mention, I still have another 48"x96" sheet on its way here, in fact at the moment it's in Ohio.
    Feb 28, 2008, 3:59 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #66

You like it huge coffe aren't you? Can't wait to see your Mendalorian Empire!
    How thick is the material? I use 1mm material only, I have many other material thicknesses available, but I like the 1mm most.

See here I bend the 1mm (0.04") material "cold" at 20 C (68F)

Name:	BendCold.jpg 
Views:	3014 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	23025

I could bend it even more it would not break very easy.

Compared to the 2mm material, about at the same tension force.

Name:	BendColdThick.JPG 
Views:	3000 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	23026
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 28, 2008, 9:03 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #67

I am not exactly sure what the thickness of the material is, suffice to say, it is probably 3 or 4 times THICKER than the garage sale signs, and MUCH more flexible, actually it seems to do exactly what you are showing, except that the piece I am playing with is substantially larger (and more difficult to manipulate).

I believe it is probably 1mm material, however, I didn't check that when I bought it, and I don't have the material in front of me at the moment. (At work). I will be sure to measure it when I get home.

At the very least, I can say that the Polypropylene that I have now is much easier to work with than the for sale signs. Not sure why... but it seems less likely to snap.

Is that Cement I posted ealier going to work with this stuf, u think Digi?
    Feb 28, 2008, 11:53 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #68

Is that Cement I posted ealier going to work with this stuf, u think Digi?
    I guess so, yes. But I would try the behavior first on a small piece. See how the material reacts. Does it melt or not, usually it's welds together by a chemical reaction. That's also the reason why a cement is often called "welder".
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Feb 28, 2008, 12:17 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #69

Sounds like a plan, thanks Digifett.

I came home to get a drill for some work I am doing at my job, and found, to my surprise, that the 2nd roll of Polystyrene had arrived from US Plastics!

It's about the same thickness as what i bought from FastSigns, but textured on one side, and black. I'm guessing then that the white sheet I bought from FastSigns is in fact 1mm thickness.

The sheet from US Plastics seems tougher, but I'll have to play with it when I get home from work later. Thanks for responding again Digi!

What do u think of my old Max render of the bucket? I probably still have the MAX file here somewhere...

Hmm... looking at my order, the black sheet is actually 1/16th of an inch in thickness... which is a little thicker than a millimeter... ouch. Well, worst case scenario, I have a lot of material to use for the armor pieces.
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Mar 1, 2008, 4:16 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #70

I have been told that on the back of the helmet in the verticle section they used a casio calculator circuit board is this ture?
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Mar 1, 2008, 10:00 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #71

Wow, that cement worked really well on my test squares. It DOES weld the two pieces, I noticed around the edges that I could see the plastic had bonded together. PERFECT! It sets in around a minute, and permanently bonds in under an hour.

Should I be using the pipe primer that is typically used on PVC, or is that unnecessary? I didn't try it for the test, and the two pieces are bonded together well enough so that no matter how hard I pull, I cannot pull the pieces apart under my own strength.

I have been told that on the back of the helmet in the verticle section they used a casio calculator circuit board is this ture?
    Zeljin, yep, as far as I know, but check BobaMaker's site, he actually sells a molded version of the circuit board used.

http://bobamaker.co.uk/MQ-1.html
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Mar 2, 2008, 2:40 AM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #72

Ok, there's one area of WoF's template I'm a little confused about:

Is the area highlighted in red meant to be removed? Is it meant to over lap there? Or is it just part of the design?

I'm trying to figure out where the seam is supposed to be, and I wasn't sure if that thin strip is meant to be cut off, or left alone.

Suggestions?
    Mar 2, 2008, 1:05 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #73

That is extra material, if you use the internial frame method. When the material is rapped around the frame it is not always a prefect fit so I added a little extra material that could be trimmed as needed. digifett's method doesn't use the interal frame so it can be removed.

Alan
  24. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Mar 2, 2008, 1:18 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #74

Thanks again Alan!

Appreciate your time, and might I say, that was a really quick response!

- Coffee
    Mar 2, 2008, 3:06 PM - Re: Building a Boba Bucket - A detailed scratch build tutorial using WOF templates #75

Yes you are right, you can see it behind the keyslots shown in Post #52.
    I baught it also from babamaker, also you find the in US ebay a lot.

Is the area highlighted in red meant to be removed? Is it meant to over lap there? Or is it just part of the design?
    See Post #51 there you will find more informations.
    I would suggest you read everything very carefully, if you find things their not mentioned there please let me know, I always try to help then.
    I am happy you found your right material now

That is extra material, if you use the internial frame method.
    I think I like your method next time when I would build another one

What do u think of my old Max render of the bucket? I probably still have the MAX file here somewhere..
    Well, you actually hit my nerv there, when you carefully read my bio you will know why. You should visit my website also...