Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Budget Scratch Build

From
    Garland, TX

Re: Budget Scratch Build

Whoa....I'm gonna do this now....sweet build man.

From
    Portsmouth, UK

I was really questionable about using polyfiller, but now I have seen that it works, I'm off to get some. I found that the ever wonderful Mr Cheap has got some ex-stock near me so I'm off to get some now. If you have one near you , it['s well worth popping in on a lunch break and pickin up some cheap art stuff. I managed to get sculpting tools for about 1.

From
    New Brunswick, Canada

You have lots of patience my friend. Looks great!!

From
    Colorado

i wish i would have seen this thred b4 purchasing my lid. it only cost me $75 but still. that is an awesome build my hats off to u

From
    London, UK

I haven't posted anything in ages because I've been away (doing an Architecture degree)

But now I'm back and have got thoroughly stuck into making my rangefinder.

First of all I purchased a metronone kit from Maplin as well as some green LEDs.

As soon as I got the kit I assembled it according to the instructions and then began to sync the lights up to the right speed (2.13 Hz), by adjusting the two pots to 40KΩ each.

That was fairly easy and formed the basis for my rangefinder circuitry.

Next I desoldered the 9v clip, the LEDs and the capacitors. I re-soldered the capacitors, leaving longer leads so I could fold them down flat.

I had to extend the leads of the LEDs, this was fairly simple, I just soldered on some short lengths of wire and added heat shrink tubing.

I then re-soldered these longer LED's into place.
    Also I filed off the unused areas of the board.

Until I could scavenge another resistor (maplin only sell them in massive sets) I'm leaving the circuitry here.

Total spend is now 9.58.

- Large card for main helmet & mask : 2.00
    - Pint o' PVA Glue : 3.00
    - Metronome kit : 3.99
    - Superbright green LED : 0.59

From
    London, UK

Next up is the rangefinder housing. If I remember correctly this part isn't detailed in either of Antman's threads
    (which I have been following fairly closely) So I'll try to show a bit more detail.

First of all print out a set of WoF's templates from the gallery.

I'm using 1mm thick mattboard (scavenged from an old sketch book)
    So I then began to mark the various places I would have to trim 1mm off of to keep the correct shape.

The dotted lines show where I'm going to angle both edges at the corner rather than just trim one of them.

Here are the pieces cut out.

I began to angle some of the pieces with a knife and sandpaper. I also drilled out the LED holes using a 5mm wood bit.

Then I just began assembling all the pieces.

I had to be careful, trying to make sure the sides were square.

One of the pieces didn't quite fit, overtrimmed, but I'll sort that out later

After letting it dry a while I decided to paper mache' the inside, to cover the small cracks and strengthen it a bit.

Here is the housing after having been trimmed, polyfilled and sanded quite a lot.

Then I brought out my circuit and did a test fit, bending the LEDs into roughly the correct place.

The circuit fits easily into the housing. The only problem is that it infringes on the lens' space more than I would like.
    But I can't be bothered to move all the stuff onto a smaller board.

From
    London, UK

According to the WoF templates, the ESB rangefinder doesn't have that little lens on it, but I decided to make one anyway.

The first step was to mark out the areas to trim.

Then carefully cut the pieces out of 1mm thick mattboard

I filed a v shape on the opposite side of this bend to stop the card wrinkling when I bent it.

Then I glued the pieces together, careful with the delicate 'hinge' area.

Here is the piece after some careful sanding.

From
    London, UK

This a little video of the lights in operation

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/dscf3070x.mp4/

From
    Rockland County NY

i too am building a super cheap bucket and id be extremely happy if it turns out anything like yours...the sanding takes forever >_<

From
    St. Charles, MO

xcmike1056 said: View Post
    i too am building a super cheap bucket and id be extremely happy if it turns out anything like yours...the sanding takes forever >_<
    Too true, then you prime and discover you still have a lot more to go!

From
    devon, uk

Don't know how I managed to miss this thread. Nice work on the rangefinder, very neat. Looks like I'll be off to Maplins soon. I will be sure to refer back to this thread later on in my build. Not quite at your stage yet, STILL sanding my dome. It looks like it's been snowing in my garage!!

From
    London, UK

goodus10 said: View Post
    It looks like it's been snowing in my garage!!

Yeah you can mistake that stuff for icing sugar (until you try to eat it)

Luckily I'm done with all the sanding an now I'm about to start my paint up, once I work out the kinks with my budget airbrush set up.

Should I put the Paint-up in a new thread?

Any progress on this moe? I'm doing my own cardboard bucket so this is really helpful.

Unless I missed it, you didn't fibreglass the dome did you? Do you think it'll be necessary? I still need to put filler on the dome but I'm wondering whether to glass it first.

From
    London, UK

Sorry there's been no progress, I'm back at Uni and I haven't had any spare time to start spray testing.

I haven't used fibreglass, I don't think it's necessary for this. The dome is solid and there's no chance of it collapsing in on itself.
    If it takes a knock you will get dents, so if you're going to be wearing it a lot then you may want to glass it to protect the surface.

looks great! that dent really turned out well!

From
    London, UK

another year's gone by with no work on the bucket. But I'm back for the summer and have been experimenting with picaxe integrated circuits.

Whilst an IC is really overkill for making two lights alternate, by using a chip for my rangefinder circuit I can make my circuits really small and simple.

Today I set up a simple circuit that flashes the red leds in the right sequence. powers up* an internal bright led and then after a short delay flashes a simple message inside the rangefinder. e.g. 'targeting'

all the work is done by a tiny 8 pin IC with 4 leds attached.
    I also wanted to add a piezo speaker to make a power up sound (like when you charge the flash on a camera)

I haven't had time for pics/ video tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I can post some pictures to make it clear what I'm talking about

*when I say powers up I mean it goes from dim to light, giving the impression that the rangefinder is booting up or something.

hey moe im very new to this. actually just joined a few days ago and let me say that ur thread has giving me confidence that i can make a cool lid inexpensively. i wanted to know if u put any kind of pads or like a hard hat piece on the inside so it fits snug on your head or wat?

From
    London, UK

At the moment there isn't any permanent padding, but if you are gonna wear this you will need some.

I've been using foam temporarily, easier to cut to size and install.

But a well placed hard hat type thing would be less hot and probably better.

Thanx alot! Im sure that foam would get pretty hot.

Im sure i could install an adjustable hard hat piece with little dificulty.

THanx again for the help and thread. Iv just started my set of armor and will definetly learn from this.