Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 23, 2002, 1:08 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #101

I know this has been said before BUT VERY nice work man!!

Can't wait to see the finished helmet!

~Bobby
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 23, 2002, 1:30 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #102

Sweet man. It gotta Be that good when I get mine.
    ST
  3. Member Since
    May 2002
    Oct 23, 2002, 1:42 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #103

I really need to figure out how to put that little emoticon with the dropping jaw on here ...that is just so cool. You and Lunn are doing just a great job. I can only hope that I am able to emulate half the jobs that you have done.
    Shawn
    Oct 23, 2002, 6:04 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #104

Brak's: Since you're doing a ROTJ paint job, what colors are you going to be using specifically?
  5. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 23, 2002, 2:02 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #105

First, the earpieces were just quickly hot glued in place to take the pics. They have not been appropriately attached yet but when they are the rangefinder will work. The visor also is simply being held in place, by tape, for the picture. I am still undecided on how to mount it but I think I may be able to use a slightly modified screw mounting configuration and make it stay in place.

As to the exact paints... I don't know yet, and I HIGHLY doubt I will paint it myself so I will probably leave the colors up to the artist who paints it. Colors are a weakness of mine. Also, I may, UNOFRTUNATELY, have to paint this helmet ESB, because it was specifically constructed to BE an ESB helmet and there are so many things on the helmet that scream ESB that I may not be able to overcome them... That makes me sad but the sculpter set out to make an ESB helemt, not an RotJ and he did an EXCELLENT job.
    Oct 23, 2002, 4:17 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #106

COME ON BRAK'S, SAD???? Itís an ESB helmet, so just go with it bud! I was actually very surprised being the accuracy freak you are that you even considered otherwise! But, on the flip side of that... Lynns bucket looks pretty damn incredible though, so I really think you probably could go either way. Knowing how you are, you better go ESB!
  7. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 23, 2002, 4:36 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #107

Heh heh. Well, I have been looking a LOT at the differences and there are two things that strike me. Where the ESB visor area (brow trim and mandibles) is very nasty and wavy, the RotJ trim is very clean and neat. Also, the horizontal slot for the RotJ helmet is even MORE narrow than the ESB. So basically the entire visor area would have to be reworked. Second, the RotJ helmet is definitely not as flared at the bottom as the ESB. Some think this is simply due to warpge on the non-rangefinder cheek and I am leaning in that direction too. I am wondering if a well placed chin strap might not pull the helmet together a bit... The only problem is, as Drew has pointed out over and over, when you squish the helmet in on the sides the front and back bow out. I am actually beginning to harass my sculpter friend about resculpting his helmet for this RotJ fan!

Oct 23, 2002, 6:11 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #108

Give him some time Brak's I'm sure an ROTJ is in future plans anyhow!! And all of what you had just described in your last post is pretty interesting to me actually... I always thought that the helmets differed solely on size, flare, weathering, and paint. You know your helmets, I'll certainly give you that!! But its within that realm of thinking where I think you'll have to go ESB on this one because it will slowly drive you insane otherwise.
  9. Member Since
    Sep 2002
    Oct 23, 2002, 6:50 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #109

I was looking at the 2 helmets on the ref CD page and was wondering if anyone else noticed that the rangefinders are different.
    the part I'm talking about is the little black square under the rangefinder.
    It's on the ESB helmet but not on the ROTJ.
    here's a couple of links in case you aren't sure what i'm talking about. they're the best pics I could find of the underside of the rangefinder.

http://www.essat.cl/cdref/0101_0200/Boba_Fett_129.jpg
    http://www.essat.cl/cdref/0301_0400/Boba_Fett_310.jpg
    http://www.essat.cl/cdref/1001_1100/Boba_Fett_1075.jpg
    http://www.essat.cl/cdref/0601_0700/Boba_Fett_602.jpg

the first 2 are ROTJ and the last 2 are ESB.

sorry if this has already been discovered, but since I didn't see anyone else saying anything about it, I figured what the heck.

10. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 23, 2002, 9:08 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #110

Good eye! We already knew about that particular detail but it doesn't devalue the fact that you saw it on your own. Keep searching and no telling what you might find. Heck, hopefully something we missed that will actually make everyone's helmet better!
    Oct 23, 2002, 11:13 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #111

Brak et all,
    Maybe I am somewhat confused. Are people more interested in making an exact movie "costume" or a Boba Fett uniform. Why I do not in any way challenge your taste for an accurate "prop" my question is why?

The helmet inaccuracies described are there because it was a movie prop, not IMO what Fett armor should be. A true helmet would not have the wavy visor, warped bottom, misshapen rear grille etc. The lines would be sharp, symmetrical and crisp (unless battle damaged). Same with some other details that mimic a prop, rather than "reality".

For example, stormtrooper "props" had exposed fiberglass edges, painted boots, warped helmets etc. Yet don't people want a symmetrical, "perfect" set of armor that troopers would truly have. Why not the same for Fett armor.
    Just my opinion.
    Mike
    Oct 24, 2002, 1:51 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #112

Well hey, I think It boils down to individual taste, but since I share the same accuracy philosophy as Brak's, I thought I would throw my 2 bars of gold bullion into the discussion.

Basically, the flaws on the costume are essential to the correct look of the costume. I am looking to replicate Boba Fett's costume from the Empire Strikes Back. I want the most accurate costume to what was on screen, because all the parts--flawed or otherwise--all are integral to the look of the costume. I'm just not interested in an "ideal" Mandalorian costume. I'm interested in a "screen" accurate Fett. And that includes all the warps, warbles, and butt-crack thongs that come along with it.

Oct 24, 2002, 3:23 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #113

I started out wanting to build a fett display. Once I was sucked into TDH I became so much more aware of what actually made up fetts suit. When I started on this forum I already had my display completed (so I thought). After time its just been cool to go through step by step and upgrade each component to screen accurate pieces. Its like once you're finished, the die-hard Fett builders what to see just how far you can take it. Itís almost not enough just to have a "fett suit" for me anymore, thatís not as much of a challenge as the end all be all screen accurate suit. Thatís just a goal for some of us here, and its funny because itís almost completely unattainable. Thatís why we will die trying!
  14. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 24, 2002, 8:29 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #114

Desloc, you have a very valid point there. As has been mentioned in the previous two posts, there are two factions in prop making. There are those who want to build costumes as if they existed in the real world and those who want to build a prop that matches that of the movie as exactly as possible. As with many, I started out trying to picture Fett in a "real world' environment and planned to build my costume accordingly. I wanted all my pouches, and buttons and whatnot to function as best as technology will allow. However, as I began to do my initial research I noticed that when any prop was made "perfect", with straight lines and symetrical edges, it never LOOKED right. It always looked off. Your mind tricks you into thinking everything is perfect but if you saw a perfectly symetrical Fett helmet you would immediately see that it just doest quite look right. I have become convinced that it is all the little asymetical values and inconsistancies that make the props what they are. It is the same way with people. It is all the irregularities that give us character.

One thing is for sure; there is plenty of room here at TDH for BOTH ways of thinking.

Oh and btw, I paid a crapload more $$$ for my stormtrooper than most to be sure he wasn't symetrical and "perfect".

Desloc wrote:Brak et all,
    Maybe I am somewhat confused. Are people more interested in making an exact movie "costume" or a Boba Fett uniform. Why I do not in any way challenge your taste for an accurate "prop" my question is why?

The helmet inaccuracies described are there because it was a movie prop, not IMO what Fett armor should be. A true helmet would not have the wavy visor, warped bottom, misshapen rear grille etc. The lines would be sharp, symmetrical and crisp (unless battle damaged). Same with some other details that mimic a prop, rather than "reality".

For example, stormtrooper "props" had exposed fiberglass edges, painted boots, warped helmets etc. Yet don't people want a symmetrical, "perfect" set of armor that troopers would truly have. Why not the same for Fett armor.
    Just my opinion.
    Mike
    Oct 24, 2002, 8:59 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #115

Good point Braks.
    Oct 27, 2002, 1:25 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #116

Hey Braks,

What did you use to remove the gelcoat off the helmet?

I just got mine in today's mail and it looks even more awesome in person!! It was crazy, because minutes after I removed the helmet out of the box, I took it outside in my backyard to show another family member, and I almost dropped it on the hard concrete because the gelcoat is so slippery. Imagine if? *shivvers*

Here's a pic of my WIP ROTJ DP helmet and the new movie-sized fiberglass helmet.

This helmet is simply... A W E S O M E ! !

Mike
    Oct 27, 2002, 8:24 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #117

Mike, you don't remove the gel coat, the gel coat is the hard white coating that is over the fiberglass you are seeing and needs to be there. That is the base for your paint, the slippery stuff is just mold release so that the helmet pulls out of the mold, just wash it off with some good soapy water, sand, prime, paint.
    Oct 27, 2002, 8:24 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #118

The "gelcoat" is the hard white surface that makes the helmet smooth. I doubt you want to remove that.

You may be talking about "mold release", or something similar. It should clean off with water and a mild dishwashing detergent.
    Oct 27, 2002, 8:29 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #119

JINX!!! HAHAHA
    Oct 27, 2002, 9:10 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #120

Desloc wrote:The helmet inaccuracies described are there because it was a movie prop, not IMO what Fett armor should be. A true helmet would not have the wavy visor, warped bottom, misshapen rear grille etc. The lines would be sharp, symmetrical and crisp (unless battle damaged). Same with some other details that mimic a prop, rather than "reality".

Just my opinion.
    Mike
    Mike....
    Those faults in the movie helmets make them how they look and make them look bad ass and the ones we love so much.
    You make them symmetrical and you fix the faults and what you get is Don Post Fett reg. and DLX, C/A trooper helmets, and GT Trooper helmets!!!!

As Braks mentioned in this thread or another, I can't remember, Don Post "fixed" these helmets, made them symetrical, and crisp and it gave us the garbage we are now working with that just looks just totally off.
    The faults make it look good and "right".

Oct 27, 2002, 9:20 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #121

Lynn TXP 0369 wrote:Mike....
    Those faults in the movie helmets make them how they look and make them look bad ass and the ones we love so much.
    You make them symmetrical and you fix the faults and what you get is Don Post Fett reg. and DLX, C/A trooper helmets, and GT Trooper helmets!!!!

As Braks mentioned in this thread or another, I can't remember, Don Post "fixed" these helmets, made them symetrical, and crisp and it gave us the garbage we are now working with that just looks just totally off.
    The faults make it look good and "right".
    Lynn,
    I don't think the DP DLX has had the fixes. I am looking at mine and other than the size issue and crappy paint, it has all the falts as on original.

Lynn and Brak,
    I here you, may not agree, but valid points. To me the warps and faults detract from the uniform. It is the whole ensamble that makes Fett, armor, boots etc. The weathering and battle damage, that leads to the mystic. The flaws to me just point out "prop" and taker away from the costume. I would like to see a perfect helmet though.
    Mike
    Oct 27, 2002, 9:37 AM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22 #122

MIke, the DP DLX has been fixed A LOT. The visor side wings are way too short, the key holes in the back are waaay off, the dome shape is waaay off, the bottom of the raised areas behind the ears are at a different angle the real helmet. It has been fixed a great deal. This helmet has been discussed to death in the past over what has been fixed on it.

" I would like to see a perfect helmet though. "

The DP DLX is going to be closet you'll get to "your" quest for the perfact helmet as it has been fixed greatly from the real helmets.
  23. TK2692
    Oct 31, 2002, 3:03 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - Big Pics #123

Ego wrote:Wow . . . this thread I can see is going to become my saving grace!

I'm actually amazed . . and I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but . . . I guess I just thought that everyone here was an amazing expert at all this stuff and that I was the ONLY person on the board who didn't have a clue . . . it's actually kind of nice to know there are a few people like me who are just diving in for the first time and feeling just as inadequate about it as me! hehehe

So, now I'm nervous . . . and yet, at least I feel like I'm part of a group! haha

Thanks guys!

Jer
    Truly, no need to be nervous. I'm even more of a newbie than you. I just finished putting my Stormtrooper together, which means that after my first real event I'll have to make umpteen changes to THAT. I haven't even had the nerve to START my Boba Fett yet...
    I know I have ZERO artistic talent, so when I get and start to modify my helmet/armor, I feel totally screwed when I start to repaint/weather it...Can you HEAR my O-Ring puckering?!? hehe
  24. TK2692
    Oct 31, 2002, 3:04 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - Big Pics #124

journeymanprotector wrote:lol, speak for yourselves

Every time I post I get smarter, better, faster...

I am your TDH General KING!

ok, enough of that,
    Phil
    Hell, by the sounds of it, your the Six Million Dollar Fan!
  25. TK2692
    Oct 31, 2002, 3:07 PM - Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - Big Pics #125

natty15d wrote:(in a campy voice)
    .....& fashion wise this year we see Fett going for the cool, minamalist approach.
    Out goes his bulky, beaten armour & in comes a chic 2 piece black ensomble.
    And that jet pack was just so last year.
    We tried to use his wookie scalps as hair extension but it was just too much.

As you can see it also goes so well with the men of the Empire.

Black just never goes out of style.

Once again thankyou to our models Chip & Dale"
    ROTFLMAO