Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project

From
    The first state

Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - Big Pics

Hot glue is 'DA BOMB for lens attachments in Trooper helmets,and Fett helmets.Epoxy takes too long to dry,.....even the 5 min. set type.

Although you could "spot weld" a "T" visor in with hot glue,and then use 5 min. epoxy for the rest I suppose.The only problem is the possibility of it running before it set.

I definitely plan on doing the hot glue method with my Fett helmets as I've done on my Trooper lens'.It's as rock solid as any epoxy once you've got a good beaded amount on your visor.

Steve

From
    Huntsville, AL, USA

Hot glue for the ears/stalk/RF too, or use epoxy for those?

I love epoxy, especially the "PowerPoxy" from WalMart. A lot of my suit it held together with it and JB Weld Quik. I've found that with both epoxy and JB Quik, there's an art to knowing how much hardener to use to prevent running.

A lot of my wife's AOTC female Tusken helmet is held together with hot glue and GOOP. I've also got some type of epoxy-like adhesive made by Loctite, and also a supply of Bondini. I've *got* the adhesives!

Ego

What type of hot glue are you using? Because any of the types I found when I was making my Tusken weren't even CLOSE to being strong enough to hold things together. Most of my Tusken head fell apart at the AOTC premier!

I'm just thinking that if hot glue couldn't hold a tusken head spike, it sure as hell isn't going to keep my visor in.

Jer

From
    Huntsville, AL, USA

Well, it's not a Tusken *male* - it's a Tusken *female*. I've never worked on a Tusken *male* costume in particular, so I don't know the details of the assembly.

The females have helmets/masks that cover the majority of the face, with a "bib" attached to the bottom of it. The top of the helmet is covered by the long burqa-like overrobe. I constructed her helmet out of a sheet of 2mm Sintra, cut into 7 pieces, which were bent and glued or epoxied together to give the resemblance of being metal sheets welded into place. 8)

I just used standard hi-temp hot glue. I didn't even use hot melt caulk, as some people do. I do doubt that the "low-temp" hot glue would work. It may be safer to work with, but it's pretty crappy for bonding.

I've never had a problem with epoxy or hot glue adhering to Sintra.

Brak's Buddy wrote:For all those asking about paint, I am currently planning to go RotJ with this helmet even though it is the ESB helmet.
    Brak's isn't the only one. I too am going to have mine painted by a pro in the RotJ color scheme.

Ego

BobaFettish wrote:Brak's isn't the only one. I too am going to have mine painted by a pro in the RotJ color scheme.
    Okay, am I the only one who's going to do mine up as an ESB helmet when it comes??

Bad Braks. Bad Fettish. Go to your rooms and think about what you've done!

I'm bad too.... I'm going ROTJ on this one as well.

I just sprayed truck bed coating on mine to coat the inside. I hope to start the putty work tonight.
    I have decided not to cut out the key holes out in mine, only for accuraccy sake, it is not really necessary for me any ways.

I never have needed any type of cooling in any of my helmets, it has never been a problem for me, so I'm not going to bother with it.

*WARNING*
    My helmet arrived and it had some stickey residue on it in spots and I figured it was uncured resin or mold release residue so I used Acetone, what is used to clean up after using resin, to clean it off and it started to make the gelcoat sticky!!
    Do not use acetone!!!
    I'll try alcohol on it to clean it up, the sticky residue has to come off or the paint won't stick very well.

Hey Ego, I'm going ESB for sure!!!!

Account Deactivated

Just wash the helmet with dish washing soap and warm water..after that hit it with some comet or like I used scrubbing bubbles. The helmets are just bleeding a little bit of the gelcoat hardener. You need to lightly sand the entire helmet after that.

Lee

Ego

Isn't it funny, how all these years go by where people want a movie accurate ESB shaped helmet, and they finally get one, and they ruin it with an ESB scheme! I'm done my Pro-ESB rant now!

I just can't wait to see these helmets painted up . . any scheme . . they're going to be great. I just hope mine looks as good!

Lynn: Question for you on the truck spray there . . . never worked with it before . . what's it like? Just comes in a spray can?

Jer

From
    The first state

Well you all KNOW I'm going ESB :evil

Steve

Ego...
    The Truckbed liner coating is in a spray can like spray paint and is reeealy easy to use. You just follow the directions and spray it into the helmet.
    I just masked off the helmet so that it wouldn't get all over the outside of the helmet and I sprayed three coats inside. it gives it a black hard durable coating on the inside of the helmet.

I now have my helmet's main green color painted.....

Sorry Braks if this thread got high jacked!!!
    Maybe I'll start my own...

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Re: Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project - UPDATED 10/22

OK, I am ALMOST done!!!! I am VERY pleased with how this project is turning out, especially since it is the first kti I have ever worked on!!!

Latest Pics

You may notice that my rangefinder looks a little funny. That is because it is just hanging on the stalk. I have not glued it in place.

From
    Scotland

"impressive......most impressive." ]

Nathan

Ego

Lookin' good Braks, lookin' good indeed!

So . . when does the painting begin?

Jer

From
    on the country whit name of chili(aji in spanish)

wow looks very good Brak
    amazing helmet

Impressive.

Most impressive.

But your rangefinder looks funny. (Sorry, had to say it)

"Best helmet ever"

Looking good man, you're doing great....and that's your first kit? I think you've got more talent than you give yourself credit for.

oooh, can't wait 'til mine arrives...

From
    downsampling you

that rocks man!!!

Cool!
    Cant wait to start on mine!

From
    The first state

"SMOKIN'"!!!!!! Does your rangefinder articulate up/down,or is it in a fixed position? What about the "T" visor situation,...how'd you fix it in place? We're all counting on you bud

Steve

looking good bud!!! I think it needs a little more paint though....

Strong work

Hey Brak's just curious... Did you already secure your visor in place or did you just put it there for reference for the pics?? Seems that it would be harder to paint it with it mounted.