A good friend of mine who I will not name (and I would prefer you didn't name in this thread) was kind enough to send me a helmet to try my hand at. I have never really worked on a project as most of the props and pieces I have acquired are found parts so this has been quite the challenge. I am nearing completion and just couldn't wait to post pics.
The helmet is all fiberglass with a white gelcoat. when it arrived the entire visor section was solid so I colored it in with a marker, then quickly hotglued the ears and rangefinder in place just to get an overall feel for how the completed helmet might look. Here is the result:
I began the project by grinding down the raw bottom edge of the helmet and cutting out the visor section. Once the visor was removed I realized there were going to be some HUGE issues with sanding the visor lip and making it smooth. It is almost impossible to reach the inside of the horizontal slot of the visor with a dremel or sandpaper. Also I realized that some parts of the visor area were going to have to be built up with bondo, something I had never used before. Well, after MUCH bondoing and MUCh dremel work and more sanding than I even want to remember I am pretty much satisfied with the visor area. It isn't perfect but it is as close as I think I can get it.
At this stage I only have the cheeks and keyhole area to rework and I will be ready for my first coat of primer!
Here is the current state of the helmet:
Here are a couple of pics of the visor area so you can get an idea of what I have been doing. It doesn't look like much but it was a HUGE pain!