Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jan 17, 2011, 9:29 PM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #26

I've worked on a couple of Fang helmets and didn't sand before priming. The primer will give you a good look at any areas that may need to be sanded/filled anyway, so I don't usually bother sanding first.
    If you wash the helmet first to make sure any traces of mold release are removed, you shouldn't have a problem with primer sticking to the resin.
    Duplicolor self-etching primer is a really good product. I've used it on several resin prop kits and it adheres really well and goes on nice and smooth. It's a sort of grayish green color, so you may need another light primer over it depending on what painting method you're using.
    Feb 10, 2011, 9:34 AM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #27

Alright! Thought I would post an update. Been working the helmet now for a while. Had to put it together the other night because I was excited. Here is the progress so far. I am planning to fiberglass the inside of the helmet this weekend (For added strength). Then painting!!!

tripledhelmetready-jpg
    Feb 10, 2011, 10:19 AM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #28

Looking pretty wizard! lol I am going to keep an eye on this thread as I should be starting my first helmet before too long. Thanks for explaining how you have been proceeding. How do you plan to fiberglass the inside? I am a newb too.
    Feb 10, 2011, 10:39 AM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #29

Plan. What is planning? LOL. I saw some threads in here about doing it and I am a clutz so I figured the stronger the better. Got the fiberglass kit from the auto parts store. Going to cut the fiberglass into strips and then put it on the inside of the helmet. In theory!!
  5. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Feb 10, 2011, 11:13 AM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #30

Ur visor are is a little on the wide side you may want to figure out just how wide its supposed to be based on pics and get it a little more narrow...
    Mar 21, 2011, 7:48 AM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #31

Ok! Now that the weather has finally calmed down and started to get warmer, I started painting the bucket! Yeah. Below is the progress, it now looks like it is metal. Phew, now comes the masking fluid and lots of work. Will keep everyone posted!

tripledsilver-jpg
    Mar 22, 2011, 7:18 PM - Re: Bought Helmet! What next! Help #32

Ok. So masked the dome last night with masking fluid. Painted the dome tonight. Used Sage Green and Moss Green. Misted it and see below. Is it right or does it need to be darker? This is taken inside (obviously!!!) and under fluorescent lighting.

tripleddomemasked-jpg and tripleddomepainted-jpg
    Mar 23, 2011, 6:39 AM - TripleD ROTJ Helmet Progress (Opinions Needed) #33

Ok. So I painted it last night (see above post) and was wondering what you all think about the color of the dome? Too light? Too Dark? Thanks