Boba Fett: Holiday special

stormtrooperguy

Sr Hunter
This is a fun side project that I did over the last couple of nights. I had done some upgrades to my Pre Vizsla helmet, and ended up with a spare Clone Wars style Mandalorian bucket.

Rewind to this article at starwars.com: StarWars.com | Designing Mandalorians for The Clone Wars

The first Filoni-approved version was a very close match to the Episode II Jango. It got approved during design rounds one morning but I wondered if the differences between our Mando helmet and our Phase 1 clone helmet were a little too pronounced. So at lunch the same day I pitched Dave the idea of drawing from the Nelvana ["Holiday Special"] Fett design as a way to introduce a "retro" influence and to tie it in better with the Clone Wars Rex/Clone Phase 1 design. The Nelvana T-visor is very similar to the "face" on a Clone Wars clone, so it seemed like a good fit.

What? The Clone Wars helmet is based off of the Holiday special Boba? And look... there's some blue spray paint right here.

Hello Friend.

5240393886_bca13db8cf.jpg

I still have to make a rangefinder topper for it (and cut the stalk down a bit I suspect). But, 2 nights of messing around with it and I'm pretty happy. I've always wanted to make a Holiday Special Boba, and here's the start.

Sort of like my clone armor, I want to make him have the design of the cartoon, but feel realistic. So, I did layered weathering with a couple shades of blue, scuffed it up quite a bit, did some washes on it. All the things one would do on a "real" Boba.

I also made it a *little* less pastel. The blue I used is a light slate color that I really like.

I made the dent sort of similar to the movie one, but more oblong, since in some of the shots in the holiday special it looks almost oval.

5239797433_ecfa40030d.jpg

Close up of the weathering:

5240392926_64b846932c.jpg

5239797763_05e4cc1c3b.jpg

Eventually I'll make up the whole suit, but now I have a helmet to motivate me :)

I've been wanting to do this with one of your kits from the day I saw them. Maybe one day when tax money permits.

I make Clone Wars Deathwatch helmets, and I painted one up as the Holiday Special Boba Fett. The HS Boba was the inspiration for the Clone Wars look, so it seems a fitting tribute.

It's really awesome looking, STG!
The only thing I would do different if I did it is I'd add the two circles in each mandible and maybe fill in the slots in the ear.
Make it a little more unique compared to the CW look, you know?

It looks good, I would love to see it with full kit to see how it would look overall. I bet it would be durn close

It's really awesome looking, STG!
The only thing I would do different if I did it is I'd add the two circles in each mandible and maybe fill in the slots in the ear.
Make it a little more unique compared to the CW look, you know?

I forgot about those! I'm thinking I can use 2 borden connectors painted black. I molded mine, so I can make a couple of little resin ones. I also have to do the turn signals one the forehead. I was planning to paint those either way.

I'm not sure about filling the slots... that would make it look more like the animation, but I think the detail looks nice in the real world. I'll try a photoshop mod to the helmet to see how it looks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My only problems with that route, and this is just my opinion, is that if you used real-Fett greeblies on an animated/TCW styled Fett, it defeats the purpose of being stylized.
Personally, I would just use two little plain disks.

I guess I am just all about making look like it looks (or pretty close, anyway). Just remember back to my Cam Kennedy Fett. LOL.

It's been three days. Have you given up? ;)

Actually, let me ask you a question. Do you think you might try and make the chest armor a more one-piece design with smoother sloped edges?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think you might try and make the chest armor a more one-piece design with smoother sloped edges?

That would imply that I plan any of this out ahead of time!

I'm not one to spend a lot of time planning. When I decide to do something, I usually hit the shop RIGHT NOW and just start cutting. Sometimes I'll draw out the project on paper first, most of the time my initial sketch is right on the piece I plan to cut.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back