Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    Mar 19, 2014, 6:16 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #51

Hello again,

I have been quiet for a while, but i haven't been completely lazy.

(Sort of) finished the 4 ear caps (minus a clear coat and weathering) in my desired paint scheme, i changed out the light brown/sand colour for a more bland beige to tone it down a little, still not completely happy with it though.
    Final Layer before removing the Masking fluid

Comments and questions welcome.
    Till next time.
    Mar 23, 2014, 12:59 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #52

Hi

Now I have the ear's (sort of) finished, I can move onto the helmet, more specifically the rear panels.
    Im using RafalFett's templates/stencils from The Dented Helmet, incredible templates to use, thank you.

Masking fluid applied.

Painted up and masking fluid (carefully) removed.

Reminder, I am not doing a traditional ESB/ROTJ paint colour scheme, I am using templates of the paint job but not the colours.

I have changed the sandy/beige colour again as I still wasn't happy, whether this means I will re-do the ears, I'm not sure yet, as they will obviously differ from the helmet now.
    Apr 29, 2014, 4:52 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #53

Posted this a couple of days ago on therpf, but I always end up forgetting to post my updates here at the same time, anyways, painting update.

only 1 picture of the red/orban/rust layer

and the top white layer

In case you're looking at the dent/scratch area, and thinking that doesn't look quite right, well you're right.
    I mistakenly did the scratch coming from the dent so it went more over the top of the dome, when it is meant to be more around the side of the dome. but i can live with it.
    Jun 9, 2014, 5:19 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #54

amazing you are my biggest inspiration!
    Jun 28, 2014, 10:51 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #55

Going to skip ahead a bit here, to a nearly finished helmet, so just sit back and look at pictures.These are not progress pictures though, just of to show where it stand as of now.

I dont know how or why but somehow the helmet has warped sudden, bring the brow up which can be seen in the above and below pictures. and also twisted the side of the helmet, making the flat areas which the ear caps sit on no longer level, dont really know what i am going to do about this right now...

I have said it plenty of times before, and i will no doubt say it again later at some point, but the angle of the picture just above, straight on and close-up makes the helmet look incredible narrow, it isn't a good representation of the actually piece in terms of shape/size.

What do you think? can you seen the direct template/pattern of the original ESB paint scheme? do the colours/paint job work, or not?
    I'd like to hear some opinions at this point since it isn't exactly your everyday boba fett paint job.

till next time

ALSO, i am in need of some help and/or advice, if you take a look at the last picture, just below the dent, you can see a sort of shine/dis-colouration, that is the sticky residue of the masking tape i used, it has only left the sticky goop at this one point though.
    My question, how can i remove this without damaging the paint? your help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Jun 29, 2014, 12:11 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #56

Hi again,

so i have been working on some weathering

Original Piece

Some light airbrushing added

Added rust effect

Finally, black washed

Any thoughts/comments/?
    Jul 22, 2014, 3:51 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #57

Hi again,

No, I'm still not finished yet.
    Here it is as it stands.
    If you look back you'll see how warped it had become, the brow/frown had risen a frighten amount.
    I left it sitting so it wasn't hanging on a stand and let it settle back into shape, looks much better, or i think it does...

There is a slight difference in angle between those two pictures, there are not the same.

As you can see, the range finder has been neglected a little bit, that'll have to wait for now.

And again, a front on picture from before and after, you can see what i mean about the warping

BEFORE

​AFTER (NOW)

I think where is current is sitting was reason behind the warping, as well as having it hanging on that stand.
    It is currently in the back room of the house, which is bathed in sunlight and heat all afternoon/evening with little ventilation, the room can get very hot.

Whats Next?
    I have ordered my Matt clear coat finally, that'll go on next, and then i can look at black washing and applying my rust.

Still need to finish the range finder, but its not essential right now.
    Till next time, happy building.