Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 27, 2012, 4:14 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #26

this paint is taking longer to take off than it did to put on.

"without my bucket i am nothing"

vent in place

most of the way there.

after paints off i can get back to work on t
    he ears. but i have no time so everything is taking 10 times longer.
    Jun 28, 2012, 1:07 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #27

so i am back to where i was about mid march before i painted it, now i get get to more on the shape of finish of it and maybe, maaaybee end up with a finished product. i wont hold my breath though.

picture time i guess.

hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful british summer weather

time for a BBQ now and a cold one
    Jun 29, 2012, 5:26 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #28

Its looking good Rosskow. im eager to see how you tackle the ear caps and range finder. it seems your like me in the sense of real life keeps eating into your build time =) Hopefully ill be caught up with you soon on my build even tho im still in the resining paper stage. Ill be keeping a weathered eye on this thread and on therpf
    Jul 15, 2012, 2:22 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #29

Quote Lunchbox739 said: View Post
    Its looking good Rosskow. im eager to see how you tackle the ear caps and range finder. it seems your like me in the sense of real life keeps eating into your build time =) Hopefully ill be caught up with you soon on my build even tho im still in the resining paper stage. Ill be keeping a weathered eye on this thread and on therpf
    a follower on both thread, thank you.

this time i'll post up the picture first (because if you're anything like me you looks at them first then read)

lets see if you follow what im doing.

and a small description, cut the circle out, cut it down the middle, and now i had a lovely semi circle, taped the **** out of it to stop the filler sticking to it.
    cut some MDF strips for the sides, taped them up.
    fixed them all in place with.. blue tack :ohwell, it worked though
    applied filler, wait 15 minutes, remove sides, let dry and sand to level/shape.
    currently only sanded down the (helmets) left side, still do to the side with the range finder on.
    hopefully get it down next weekend.

then make some ears, buy a range finder and hey-presto, done!

all sounds so easy...
    Jul 16, 2012, 2:00 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #30

i am close to having some ears now, ive spent long enough doing them, but still need some tweaking here and there, as everything always does.

roughly glued together (before cosmetic face lift)

didnt really look at the picture when i took, them now i've uploaded them and ive actually looked at them, they are ...lets say lacking in clarity.

just silly-taped to the helmet for now get a look see.

through that sun is a ear cap if you can see it.

i've not sanding down the right side of the helmet for the ear cap to go on yet though which i why its sticking out half mile.

if unpleased by this small updates heres a hamster on my helmet to make it up to you :happy
  6. Jul 16, 2012, 3:41 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #31

Very nice mate, i know how long you waited to have a set of ears and the misfortune of the previous ones. Now you can take pride in that you have created everything on this helmet, and a fantastic helmet it is.

Welsh
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:52 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #32

i just got to mould them now and then i can look at fixing that dent, make it accurate (to some degree) then im almost done, which ive thought/said many times before

- - - Updated - - -

just a couple of new, slightly clearer pictures

anyone got tips for moulding, what to use, where to buy how to do it and everything else involved
    Aug 12, 2012, 1:53 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #33

well.... first time moulder, first time failure

i didnt mix up enough silicone so i only have (barely) half the amount covering my ear cap than i wanted.

the proof is in the pudding below

almost got mad bubbles, dont know how it will turn out. i think it was because i mixed the silicone up too fast, it wasn't from pouring it, i spent about 20 minutes slowing pouring it in, i mixed it as though i was making an omlette so i ended up getting lots of air into it (lesson learnt, go slow mixing, less of a wip)

apart from all those problems and issues it all went peachy. that'll be left for 24 hr now before i carefully try to demould it.

meanwhile... i'll correct some minor issues with my bucket tomorrow.

edit: almost it hasn't leveled out properly yet, least i learnt alot from this, thats all i can take from this.
    Aug 15, 2012, 1:46 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #34

i've never been so nervous...

i dont know whether i should of left the gap out and then i could of just did it on the casts i pull, too late now though...
    caused all kinds of problems getting out the master.

eventually got there

roughly trimmed it, bit worried about trimming it too much and pulling away something important, any tips on trimming it would be a massive help.

tomorrow, remove my other two moulds and maybe attempt a pull on my first mould.

things (still) to do:
    -accurate dent, no idea how im going to do that though...
    -some dents to fill in on the dome and smooth out
    -fix curve on the the right cheek

i see an end in sight, but its still seems a fair distance away.

ALSO, any tips on cleaning out my mould before i try to cast it, the silicone just hangs on to any bits of dirt or dust that comes within 5 foot of it
    Aug 19, 2012, 1:55 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #35

Dent update

i think the dent it about the right shape, position and orientation but its a little shallow, tell me what you think i could do with some input on this bit

edit: after looking at some reference pictures the dent is too small, still right shape, place and orientation but i need to figure out a way to enlarge it, how i can do that i have no idea.
    Last edited by rosskow; Aug 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM.
    Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #36

i've been looking into moulding and casting this helmet, so are there any people out there interested purchasing a cast, it would include the helmet along with the ear caps, it would not include range finder, stalk, visor or MQ-1 circuit board. if you were interest what kind of price would you pay, PM me if you're interested...
    Aug 26, 2012, 10:39 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #37

great build thread. excellent work captain!
    Sep 6, 2012, 2:50 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #38

Quote sausagemahoney said: View Post
    great build thread. excellent work captain!
    ive never been called a captain before but thank you very much

got my vent (semi) installed, its finished but just taped in for the time being

some full shots to show where i am, note the boba fett helmet shape helmet stand i made, i got a little bored

i think all i have to do now are the little arrows in the middle above the visor, how? i dont know yet.

if any one can see something thats missing or doesn't look right, just say so then i'll add it to the to do list.
    Sep 7, 2012, 4:24 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #39

i dont know what else call them other than the arrows, i have done a little more surgery on my helmet to get the rough shape out, started by drilling into it.

managed to do the second one a little cleaner

roughly shaped it out

and lastly, here you can see it's position on the helmet

thanks, see you again
    Sep 9, 2012, 3:51 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #40

cut the arrows right out

threw some filler in and stuck in my arrow shaped plug in

yet to clean it up, its looks wavey but its not as bad as it looks

now whether i get this moulded or not, im no where near skilled enough to paint it so i think it will only ever see primer paint so im fitting a permanent (styrene) visor.
    ignore the cable ties, i had to pull in the cheeks as they weren't in the right position.

problem is that when the cheeks are correctly positioned so they are not outward from the helmet the visor area is slim to say the least.

so i have two options i see, allow the cheeks to be slightly opened outward from the helmet and get the right visor gap, or i can sand down the cheek edges to give a wider gap, or a little bit of both...
    Sep 15, 2012, 10:42 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #41

well, i've went through 3 styrene visors to get there but i managed to get a visor to fit in. once i did that i turned my attention to my black T-visor, same as i did with my styrene, heated it and slowly curved it, expect this time it didnt go to plan

anyone know if there is anyway to fix this, or anyone that needs a broken T-visor??
    Sep 16, 2012, 4:50 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #42

slight update, these look identical to pictures i only posted 10 days ago, but now with the addition of a styrene visor to hopefully get it final shape.

im getting sick of waiting, so im hitting it with some primer next, i know there will be plenty of pin holes and big holes to fix but im too impatient.
    Sep 16, 2012, 5:05 AM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #43

all primed and now drying out

sadly there are alot more problems with it than i expected, lots and lots of pin holes and (i'll call them) valleys to fill in and even part of my brow it's fully fixed, similar to when i first primed it

previous picture

its blurry, but shows what i mean

but despite that its glorious, very happy with it.

compliments and criticism own welcomed :happy

EDIT: can anyone recommend anywhere or anyone i can purchase a ranger finder and stalk, a good one, not a solid resin cast. i've looked on here and TDH but the search functions aren't great so i had no success in finding anything myself, if you can point me in the right direction, please do
    Last edited by rosskow; Sep 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM.
    Oct 5, 2012, 2:41 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #44

i am working on this still but it's taking an extensive amount of time to get those sharp details.
    working on the mandible, to sharpen the edges but i just seem to keep adding filler, sanding , adding filler... you get the idea.

pictures despite lack of noticeable progress.

my camera makes the helmet look much more narrow than it is, its not as slim as it appears.
    Dec 24, 2013, 5:38 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #45

so long story short, didnt think it would have taking this long for an update, but its here.

mould was done, wasn't perfect though, cast was pulled, again not perfect.

its a cold cast (with aluminium power in the resin)

dome and 1 cheek done

1 back panel done

all done

hopefully it doesn't take me as long to post another update next time.
    enjoy.
    Dec 24, 2013, 9:47 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #46

I like it! Great work, dude.
    Dec 26, 2013, 4:29 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #47

hello again,

hope you all had a nice christmas, now back to the build

all 3 out of 4 ear fixed with the trusty nuts and bolts method, along with the stalk and range finder housing.

also got the key slots/vents cut out on the back and finished off the day by filling in some small, and not so small pin holes.

i think i'll be turning my attention to fixing a visor next.

on a side note, if you're interested in a casting then you are more than welcome to PM with any question or inquiries.

and finally, thanks for reading.
  23. Dec 28, 2013, 1:00 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #48

Ross mate absolutely fantastic work, the helmet turned out beautifully. Last time I remember seeing this it still had the filler primer on, and now you've gone and moulded the thing. Really top notch work, and the cold cast came out lovely.
    Feb 2, 2014, 3:05 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #49

Well i have the range finder, stalk, ear caps all installed and a visor in place now so moving on to some air brushing

So here goes.

So there was some mess, some frustration, some learning, some failure and some success.

Apologises now for the pictures, its hard to tell the difference in the colours till right at the end, you'll see what i mean.

So, as i said previously, i was practicing on a spare ear puck to get used to..well, everything really.

Started by priming and then done a base coat of silver (which become redundant) then onto the air brushing.

Here is the ear after first layer of base coat.

I'll do some quick explaining, I'm still using the ESB stencils, thank you RafalFett (of thedenteddentedhelmet) but using a different colour scheme, and since the ear cap only has three colours, the green, red and grey/silver, it meant that my base colour of silver iwas pointless because i had already bought my 3 air brush colours so my silver wasn't necessary, causing (what you see in the above picture) brown to be my base colour. (hopefully that makes sense, if not just look at the pictures and enjoy )
    Anyway, here is the first layer after a couple of coats and time to dry out a bit

It is darker than the picture will have you believe.

Masked ready for my second layer, this was just done free hand using ref pictures/stencils at hand to look at.

That is the same colour as the picture before it.

Gets even more frustrated with the next picture...

...because that is the second colour/layer done which is much, MUCH light cream colour that the first brown coloured layer.

The difference between the colours is evident in the next picture, masking fluid removed.

Now before you think, I'm not doing a desert camo theme, I couldn't help but think that myself as I removed the masking fluid.
    One more colour/layer to be added before some light weathering so it doesn't look so sterile.

So how does it look from your end? See any issues or have any suggestions or questions, all comments welcome (within reason, lets keep it clean)

Till next time.
    Feb 8, 2014, 2:03 PM - Re: Boba fett helmet pep build (my first build) #50

Hi again,

Final masking and painting done on the practice ear cap.

So there is the paint scheme... in a sense.
    The second/middle/beige colour wasn't quite what i was hoping for. I intended for it to be a off-white colour just.

Masking fluid only just removed prior to picture, so a light going-over with some 0000 wire wool to clean it up it needed and then some weathering i think.
    Weathering, some thing else i haven't never done before either.

Purpose (as always with weathering) is to make it just look a little dirty/rusty/worn, but i'm unsure how best to tackle this. I'll no-doubt go on youtube later tonight or search threads/forums for ideas and techniques, but would really appreciate it if you, the reader, could offer up suggestions or ideas, etc.

And on a side note, making my own stalk for the range finder, see how that pans out...

As always, comments welcome.
    Thanks for reading.