Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 26, 2007, 10:34 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #151

please, post your tutorial/thread as soon as you are able...I'll be eagerly awaiting it
    Thank you Rob! Maybe next weekend I have some time left to write the tutorial. It'll be a lot of work, besides I have to build a bucket
    Yesterday I start detailing the cheeks, the photos you saw before was right after glueing and a little bit of sanding.
    I think a good way maybe is to cut the 2mm sintra cheeks in ,say 6 pieces. I made 4... You cannot bend the 2mm stuff, so all you have to build is a n-gon. The rest does the putty...
    3 Pots ? Thats a lot of work you may have
    Wouldn't it make more sense to make a mold then ?

Good work Thomas ! Another Boba made in Germany, Prost !

See ya,

Chris
    Last edited by digifett; Jun 27, 2007 at 3:55 AM.
    Jun 26, 2007, 11:10 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #152

Tazman...that's nice work you've done there...thanks for posting the pics!

Chris,
    I must make a correction....like you, I'm using the 1mm Sintra also, not the 2mm....after your comment on cutting it with scissors (which I do), I checked it last night with a micrometer...looks like I'm going to take your lead and cut the upper cheeks into 4 to 6 separate pieces, and work them in that way, and use the putty to smooth the seams....BTW, what exactly is "Pro-Weld"? is it something I can get here in the States? Do you have a brand name?
    Rob
    Jun 26, 2007, 11:40 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #153

I must make a correction....like you, I'm using the 1mm Sintra also
    Oh great Rob ! That makes it a lot easier ! "Pro Weld" is an american brand for a special polistyrol glue. (http://www.granddadshobbyshop.com/Ambroid_Pro_Weld.jpg)
    I used the name here because most of the "Bucket" builders are from the states. In fact I use the german version "UHU Plast" its about the same. Its a glue which welds the the styrene together. i use it only for bigger glueing areas. But you need to use it with a brush then. See here I have found a picture my gluing stuff is on...
    Chris
    Jun 26, 2007, 11:46 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #154

@ Tazman, from where do you will get your visor for the helmet ? Do you have a suggestion. In Germany nobody sales green Visors here... Except one and they are way too expensive !!

Chris
    Jun 26, 2007, 11:52 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #155

Hi, Chris!

I think Ill buy the visor at eBay! There are three sizes and Ineed the extended size.
    By the way: the seller is a member on this board but I cant remember his name.

Thomas
    Jun 26, 2007, 12:09 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #156

I would be fine when you can find the ebay/TDH member
    Jun 26, 2007, 12:11 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #157

Chris

To clarify real quick, Sintra isn't styrene. Sintra is PVC. Beautiful job on that bucket so far. What did you use for the dome? Or did you scratch build that from the WoF plans too. Keep up the progress pics.

-x
    Jun 26, 2007, 12:11 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #158

Ive found it! Look at "t-visor.com"
    Jun 26, 2007, 12:20 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #159

Thanks, Chris...I'll be going down to my local hardware store this afternoon and see if I can find some of the Pro-Weld, or another product that is comparable to it!
    Rob
    Jun 26, 2007, 11:22 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #160

Here's a pic or two showing the fit of the cheekbones without having to cut them...these have been taped on; tomorrow I will glue them in and shape them a little better....but hey, Alan's templates are the bomb!

Rob
    Jun 27, 2007, 3:31 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #161

Hey Rob,
    what did you take for the dome?
    Yet another skater helmet?

Thomas
    Jun 27, 2007, 3:47 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #162

To clarify real quick, Sintra isn't styrene. Sintra is PVC. Beautiful job on that bucket so far. What did you use for the dome? Or did you scratch build that from the WoF plans too. Keep up the progress pics.
    Thank you telling eighteendelta ! And I always thought Sintra is styrene, honestly I never heard the word Sintra before :o. Is it a another brand?
    The dome is also scratch build and of cause with the help of the WoF templates. His work is so great ! I build the dome out of thick paper and laminated it from inside. More will come later

Ive found it! Look at "t-visor.com"
    Great job Thomas, thank you !

@ Ghostsoldier Rob

Your lid looks super already! The cheeks are already well shaped ! I don't think you will have any problems to build them with the right glue... But please, when sintra isn't styrene ask your dealer for the right glue then, I am sorry when I have confused you !

---
    I cannot wait to see more from yall !

Chris
    Last edited by digifett; Jun 27, 2007 at 3:58 AM.
    Jun 27, 2007, 10:58 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #163

Been working with these templates in paper for the moment and I notced that a some peoples upper cheek pieces have a definate fold running diagonally at about 45 degrees from the top corner to the middle whilst some don't. Is there any reason for this? Is there supposed to be a fold?
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:01 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #164

Quote digifett said: View Post
    Thank you telling eighteendelta ! And I always thought Sintra is styrene, honestly I never heard the word Sintra before :o. Is it a another brand?
    The dome is also scratch build and of cause with the help of the WoF templates. His work is so great ! I build the dome out of thick paper and laminated it from inside. More will come later
    Chris
    If you are using garage sale signs for example then it's probably Sintra/Foamed PVC. It's possible you are using styrene if you bought raw sheets from a plastics supplier. I was basing my comment on the content of the rest of your post.

Sintra is the trade name held by Alcan Composites for thier proprietary rigid foam, closed cell, PVC board. You can find rigid foam, closed cell, PVC board by other names in Europe, for example 'foam PVC' in the UK from these people...

http://www.signwholesale.co.uk/acata...m_Pvc_3mm.html

I don't know any suppliers in Germany or I would include those. I hope that helps.

Quote Raffles said: View Post
    Been working with these templates in paper for the moment and I notced that a some peoples upper cheek pieces have a definate fold running diagonally at about 45 degrees from the top corner to the middle whilst some don't. Is there any reason for this? Is there supposed to be a fold?
    The line you see in the scratch built helmets is there for ease of construction. For Jango and Boba, there should not be a line in the final product. A lot of scratch builders prefer to glue with the crease then bondo over it and smooth it afterwards. I think you could probably leave the line for a custom if you wanted without too many complaints. I get the impression though that you are going for a cannon character. Some of the more experienced scratch builders might also chime in here soon enough.

-x
    Last edited by eighteendelta; Jun 27, 2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: so as not to double post then a messed up link
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:10 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #165

Eighteen the link you posted is for a product usually known in the UK as "foamex" It is basically two thin sheets of glossy card sandwitching a layer of high density polystyrene foam. It's hell to work with and doesen't bend easily. The site you posted had this however - http://www.signwholesale.co.uk/acata...m_Pvc_3mm.html
    This sound like the right stuff.
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:19 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #166

Quote Raffles said: View Post
    Eighteen the link you posted is for a product usually known in the UK as "foamex" It is basically two thin sheets of glossy card sandwitching a layer of high density polystyrene foam. It's hell to work with and doesen't bend easily. The site you posted had this however - http://www.signwholesale.co.uk/acata...m_Pvc_3mm.html
    This sound like the right stuff.
    I beg to differ, that's the exact link I have posted...

This is the foam-x

http://www.signwholesale.co.uk/acata...m_X___5mm.html

Somehow the URL and the hyperlink didn't match, my mistake, strange....

Thanks, it's been fixed.

-x
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:26 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #167

I don't know any suppliers in Germany or I would include those. I hope that helps.
    Yes I know this stuff, in Germany we have "Forex" that is also foamed sign PVC. Sounds almost equal to UK's "foamex"
    I used that stuff only for signs. For me its too stiff.
    I've bought my styrene in a special model shop so I think it should be styrene than?
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:29 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #168

Somehow the URL and the hyperlink didn't match, my mistake, strange....
    Yeah, I had the some problem here before, maybe a little bug in the forum system?
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:36 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #169

Yes, there is, because of the plastic is much stiffer than paper, so the easiest way is to make cut at the most stressed areas. This corner is a real pain without beeing cut. After cutting you have to use putty to make it smooth again.
    In the pictures you saw my helmet before, that was without the smoothed corners. Tomorrow I will have pictures of my bucket olmost done in its shape.
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:43 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #170

Sintra seems to be the dominant market name for foam pvc in the US (like Sellotape) but there are a few other brands available in the rest of the world. This company in the UK stocks a good brand called Foamalux - http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk/s_foamalux.php

A quick google search for "pvc foam board" will give you some sources in your area.
    from solarbotics.net - "Note that when you're shopping for PVC foam board, you need to make sure you are not getting Fome-Cor, a.k.a. "foam core," which is much softer, and essentially just paper-faced styrofoam." Taht's the stuff I mentioned earlier.

A good guide to PVC foam boards -
    http://www.solarbotics.net/starting/...07_sintra.html
    Jun 27, 2007, 11:45 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #171

Thanks Digifett! Was thinking I had missed something important there!
    Jun 27, 2007, 2:55 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #172

@ Digifett:

pm sent.

Thomas
    Jun 27, 2007, 10:49 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #173

Quote Tazman said: View Post
    Hey Rob,
    what did you take for the dome?
    Yet another skater helmet?

Thomas
    Thomas,
    Yes! Thats' exactly what I used for all 3....just like yours!

Chris,
    No worries...you didn't confuse me!
    Rob
    Jun 30, 2007, 1:20 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #174

News from my scratchbuild:
    After a coat of primer
    and airbrushing (the killstripes are painted)
    Im beginning with the stencils.
    They are a mix of painting and scatching.

How is it so far?

Criticism is really welcome!!!

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P62801131.jpg 
Views:	2727 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	18625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P62901161.jpg 
Views:	2656 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	18626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P63001181.jpg 
Views:	2651 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	18627  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P63001201.jpg 
Views:	2687 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	18628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P63001221.jpg 
Views:	2789 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	18629  
    Jul 1, 2007, 8:24 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #175

Lookin' sweet, Thomas!
    Rob