Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Apr 13, 2007, 7:39 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #126

Well the first coats of resin are going on today.

heres you can see the cardboard inside to give the T visor depth when the glass is done being layed down.

And here you can see the cardboard pieces installed inside to give the dome ridge depth

This will get several coats of resin alone, before adding glass for reinforcement later.

Once I get my batting helmet I'll section it as needed and glass that down as well to the already glassed lower portion, making them one piece.

After the resin is sufficiently thick Ill sand/peel away the paper and cardboard to leave only fiberglass. Im sure this will take several months to complete with my schedule. LOL

Just thought Id toss up an update.

DM
  2. Apr 13, 2007, 7:49 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #127

what size was that batting helmet again?
    Apr 24, 2007, 12:25 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #128

I wanted to thank WOF, I used his Templates, so I figured the best way would be to show my progress on my scratch built. I have been lurking here for a while and have never really tried anything like this. so her goes.

I built the dome part by laying glass over my old Kevlar helmet, covered with a trash bag, It's thin but quite strong. I messed up a couple gluings so it's a bit on the messy side. It's rough but a start. I didn't make it deep enough, so I will make a new one after I get this one put together, so I can understand the structure a little better.

It's not a bad shape and if I get a better depth on my next try, it might be acceptable for my second attempt. It's almost dead on dimensions given in the templates.

In any case I will continue to work on it as I am able.

-x
    May 8, 2007, 11:03 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #129

well, i'm on hold till i get some money together. thanks to school i haven't had a paycheck in a couple months, so as much as i'd like to go Mando, it'll have to wait a little while longer
    May 25, 2007, 5:26 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #130

Well I just printed the templated out to try and get a better grasp of how the angles of the helmet go together and it went so well that I think I'll run up a plastic version and get painting! Thanks for the awesome templates!!!
    May 31, 2007, 5:22 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #131

Hi yall, I am new here, already before I read in this forum a lot, and I am very happy to find you. In the internet I was looking for a good template to make a 3D Boba Helmet, and I found this CAD paper template here. And I must say your template here is a dream wizardofflight ! Great job ! And its even more fun than building it digitally!
    In 2,5 hours I had a perfectly shaped Boba Fett helmet !

Look at the dome, it looks great for me. I had no trouble with any pices, it was almost easy to put this together.
    A riddle for me is still the band around the helmet from the visor to the back of the helmet. When I will build the band, the cheek bones will be too deep inside the helmet wouldn't they, what you think. Do you have the exact dimensions of this band, specially how thick it is?

See ye later ! Bye, Chris

Jun 1, 2007, 4:27 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #132

Beautiful work!! Very glad that they work out so well for you!

As for the thickness of the band it is about 1/16" to 3/32", it is a difficult number to pin down as the thickness is not consistent. Being that it is only about 1/16" it really shouldn't have too much effect on the depth of the cheeks. I would suggest that when you do apply the outer layer that you leave about 1/2" overlap in the cheekbone area so that it can be trimmed to match the cheek's angle. Hope that makes sense.

Can't wait to see more pics. If you have any questions just let me know.

Alan

Quote digifett said: View Post
    Hi yall, I am new here, already before I read in this forum a lot, and I am very happy to find you. In the internet I was looking for a good template to make a 3D Boba Helmet, and I found this CAD paper template here. And I must say your template here is a dream wizardofflight ! Great job ! And its even more fun than building it digitally!
    In 2,5 hours I had a perfectly shaped Boba Fett helmet !

Look at the dome, it looks great for me. I had no trouble with any pices, it was almost easy to put this together.
    A riddle for me is still the band around the helmet from the visor to the back of the helmet. When I will build the band, the cheek bones will be too deep inside the helmet wouldn't they, what you think. Do you have the exact dimensions of this band, specially how thick it is?

See ye later ! Bye, Chris

Jun 2, 2007, 10:51 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #133

Thank you wizardofflight for your help ! Where is the thickest part of the band, for me it looks like in the back, is that correct?
    I hope I can work more on the helmet soon, its fun ! But I am pretty busy in the last time. For sure I will inform you as soon something major has changed.
    How far are you with your bucket? How do you build the ears? I plan to sintering them by laser. I have inexpensive "connections" :-)
    From where did you take the measurements of your CAD helmet?

I would suggest that when you do apply the outer layer that you leave about 1/2" overlap in the cheekbone area so that it can be trimmed to match the cheek's angle.
    It makes absolutely sense to me, good idea !

Till later, Chris
    Jun 8, 2007, 1:30 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #134

I have a question. I am guessing that I see references to WoF's template no less than 5 times a week, probably more. Why aren't they stickied? They are a free resource given to the community and should be a little more prevalent. Just a question, maybe this issue has been addressed before.

-x
    Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #135

Any news yet of a tutorial with these templates, Alan?
    Rob
    Jun 12, 2007, 3:01 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #136

Hi.
    First I must say: WOF, you are the man!!!:thumbup
    What would we do without you???

For the dome I also use a skater helmet which I bought on eBay for 2.5.

First I thought that the top is too flat but its ok, isnt it?

These photos are made after one coat of resin. There will be 3 or 4 more coats berfore I use fibreglass.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6120113.jpg 
Views:	3632 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	18198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6120115.jpg 
Views:	3441 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	18199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6120117.jpg 
Views:	3447 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	18200  

Jun 12, 2007, 10:15 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #137

How in Julia's name did I over look this? Very nice templates Wizard!
    Jun 12, 2007, 1:03 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #138

That looks great! Beautiful job! That helmet is a great match, plus you don't have to worry about padding. Can't ask for better than that.

Please keep me posted, can't wait to see the final product.

Alan

Quote Tazman said: View Post
    Hi.
    First I must say: WOF, you are the man!!!:thumbup
    What would we do without you???

For the dome I also use a skater helmet which I bought on eBay for 2.5.

First I thought that the top is too flat but its ok, isnt it?

These photos are made after one coat of resin. There will be 3 or 4 more coats berfore I use fibreglass.

What do you think?
    Jun 16, 2007, 10:02 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #139

Here's one for you PDF gurus....I need to enlarge Alan's templates by 107%, but I don't see an option for changing the scale incrimentally on my Adobe print option....how can I do this?
    I also have AutoCad 2004 & 2007, and an HP 430-D plotter....can I somehow print them using one of these programs?
    Rob
    Jun 17, 2007, 1:28 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #140

Since you are running AutoCAD just send me an e-mail and I will set you up with the CAD files for whatever you need.

Alan
    wizardfoflight@comcast.net

Quote Ghostsoldier said: View Post
    Here's one for you PDF gurus....I need to enlarge Alan's templates by 107%, but I don't see an option for changing the scale incrimentally on my Adobe print option....how can I do this?
    I also have AutoCad 2004 & 2007, and an HP 430-D plotter....can I somehow print them using one of these programs?
    Rob
    Jun 17, 2007, 10:33 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #141

Alan...PM/email sent!
    Rob
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Jun 19, 2007, 3:03 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #142

got a quick question here, will the 501st let the batting/skating helmet BF helmet in or not, b/c I know they're really picky!
    Jun 20, 2007, 7:03 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #143

I can't say for sure but I think the 501st is looking for quality regardless of how you got there. Once it is painted who is going to know what it is made of.

Alan

P.S. I just noticed that this thread has over 12,000 views, very cool!
    Jun 21, 2007, 2:38 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #144

Hey Wizardofflight,

If you reverse the way the flat pattern is laid out, the middle of the dome won't want to come to a point. I modified your template so it is stronger in the center. It's not perfect, but I will tweak it later.

I will post pics of my finished cardboard dome using these patterns when I get it done.(these are not complete)
    Last edited by dung0beetle; Jun 21, 2007 at 2:51 AM.
  20. Jun 24, 2007, 7:58 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #145

wow, I cant wait to try this out!
    Jun 24, 2007, 10:44 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #146

Anybody got some tips for making those cheekbones work? I know how they are supposed to go together, but the Sintra is fighting me on this...I can't seem to get the right "depth" of curvature to the upper pieces when I place them on the "step" of the dual lower pieces (they look too shallow)...should I cut them into smaller sections, or use heat to bend them? I'm using the 2 mm sign Sintra...also, should I attach the upper pieces to the helmet mandibles first, and then attach the dual lower pieces? Can anyone suggest any curse words I haven't used yet??
    Rob
    Jun 25, 2007, 4:01 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #147

Anybody got some tips for making those cheekbones work?
    The easiest way I think is to use thinner Sintra. I built the whole helmet with 1mm Sintra, it was easy to cut by regular sissors. And was bendable pretty easily. Late re-inforce the cheeks by double layering with sintra and/or with resin and glass mats.
    For glueing I used super glue and Pro Weld. With the superglue I could glue edge on edge by holding it just 5 seconds. That already became extremely firm! After that, put some Pro Weld on the edges, it will melt them together...
    Look here are some photos.
    I will start a new scratchbuild thread shortly, maybe you can adobt some things. I learned a lot from SD68's scratchbuild thread, look here :
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13420

Chris
    Last edited by digifett; Jun 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM.
    Jun 25, 2007, 10:25 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #148

Quote digifett said: View Post
    Look here are some photos.
    I will start a new scratchbuild thread shortly, maybe you can adobt some things. I learned a lot from SD68's scratchbuild thread, look here :
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13420
    Chris...thanks for the pics... those cheeks look sweet! You make it look so easy....and I'm doing 3 pots at once, so I wanted to make it as streamlined a process as I can...please, post your tutorial/thread as soon as you are able...I'll be eagerly awaiting it!
    And yeah, SD68's thread has been my bible so far through this whole maddening process!
    Thanks again,
    Rob
    Jun 25, 2007, 11:14 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #149

This is really amazing stuff! even though I just bought an ESB helmet, I plan to use these templates to scratchbuild a white fett helmet eventually.

Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to the hobby!
    Jun 26, 2007, 9:23 AM - new pics of my "Skater helmet" #150

Here are some new pic of my scratchbuild helmet using a skater helmet for
    the dome.
    Hope you like it.

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260132.jpg 
Views:	3243 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	18540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260133.jpg 
Views:	2865 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	18541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260134.jpg 
Views:	2844 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	18542  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260135.jpg 
Views:	3033 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	18543