Subscribe
    Sep 26, 2006, 8:23 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #101

i just assumed but that is a helpful illustration
    Oct 17, 2006, 7:49 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #102

Just a small bump.

Alan
    Oct 19, 2006, 5:45 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #103

Hello,

The first post has now been updated to include the flat pattern for the dome. It is a PDF file the is intended to print out on standard 8.5" X 11" paper with a .25" boarder. The pattern is divided into 3 pages and the flat pattern is made of 20 gores (panels).

Have fun!!!

Alan
    Oct 25, 2006, 8:58 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #104

wizardofflight, when you say you may have to cut this piece into two pieces to get it glued down, do you mean the blue piece?
    Oct 26, 2006, 1:24 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #105

WOF thanks a ton for these templates. I've been working with my friend on a scaled down version for his son and so far it is coming out great. Thanks.
    Oct 26, 2006, 3:22 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #106

Quote Aaron said: View Post
    wizardofflight, when you say you may have to cut this piece into two pieces to get it glued down, do you mean the blue piece?
    Aaron

That would be the one. I cut it in 2 parts (see the line on the blue part that starts from the 90 degree corner. It just made it easier to work with.

Quote ShocKWavE said: View Post
    WOF thanks a ton for these templates. I've been working with my friend on a scaled down version for his son and so far it is coming out great. Thanks.
    Excellent!! Glad that they are working out! I really enjoy seeing my drawings being brought to life. The amount of skill and talent on this board never ceases to amaze me. I'd love to see some pic of you progress. My son is just turning 4 in a week or so, but I am already getting the piece together for his Fett suit. At the rate I'm going it might be ready when he's 9 or so.

Alan
  7. Dec 22, 2006, 1:19 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #107

Excellent work and very impressive
    I'm using the flatpattern templates and I was wondering, what should I use to smooth out the dome and fill in the gaps?
    I thought to use some drywall mud/filler but thought it might break apart too easily and become a powder.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Dec 22, 2006, 1:25 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #108

Quote Ion_Cannon_Gunner said: View Post
    I thought to use some drywall mud/filler but thought it might break apart too easily and become a powder.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Don't use that......use ''Bondo''. You can find it in the automotive isle at Wal-Mart.
    Dec 22, 2006, 3:19 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #109

To be specific on what PSberetta said... there are a couple of types of bondo you can get. Get the body filler not the glaze putty. The glaze is a one part compound but not nearly as strong as the filler. The filler dryes like cement and becomes fully sandable. Epoxy putty would work well to and is sandable.
  10. Dec 23, 2006, 12:21 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #110

Thanks, that helps a lot.
    Feb 12, 2007, 1:08 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #111

I know that this thread is older, but I just wanted to thank the Wizard for his great work providing these templates. They have made life a heck of alot easier....
  12. Mar 25, 2007, 10:08 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #112

Is there a jango copy? Ive been told the main changes are in the visor ( more squinty) the range finder mount, the cheeks are diferent, and the key holes at the rear
    Last edited by Darth-Malevelus; Mar 25, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
    Mar 25, 2007, 12:34 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #113

I am still collecting reference material and will be doing a Jango helmet, but I have been taking a little break from Fett templates to do a number of projects that I have been ignorign for too long. Not to worry it is on the list.

Alan
    Apr 1, 2007, 12:51 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #114

just wanted to say a big thanks. i've been looking all over for some sort of blueprint for making a helmet for a long time now. i printed off the templates, cut them out and taped them together. it's looking good so far. now i've just got to decide what material i want to build the actual helmet with. anyone with any suggestions???
    Apr 2, 2007, 8:01 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #115

Quote JIM BEEF said: View Post
    just wanted to say a big thanks. i've been looking all over for some sort of blueprint for making a helmet for a long time now. i printed off the templates, cut them out and taped them together. it's looking good so far. now i've just got to decide what material i want to build the actual helmet with. anyone with any suggestions???
    Materials depend on your personal preferences, budget and experience. Chipboard, fiberglass and Sintra are the ones I've seen a lot of on this board. Wizard of Flight also has armor templates available here.

I believe Honus has posted a thread on using chipboard or cardboard. Also SD68, has used a baseball batting helmet for the dome and "For Sale" signs from Home Depot for the rest of the helmet. Kripps and Kibosh also have threads on that.

Sintra would be a good, inexpensive material to use. That is what the For Sale signs are made of. I have gotten some scrap Sintra from a sign company locally. All I did was ask if they had any leftovers from a project. I've got more than enough to make a helmet and will use the rest for my gauntlets or armor. You may also want to search for "trash can armor" and make some body armor form that or sintra. AFettfullofdollars made some great trash can armor and has a thread on it.

This site has got a TON of information and some very talented and experienced people on it. It's a great resource for enthusiastic newbies like me.

You may want to use chipboard, the backing material for legal pads and notepads, to experiment with first to get a feel for the assembly process of the helmet and for fitting the armor.
    Welcome to the club! Be patient, good luck and keep us posted.
    Apr 5, 2007, 12:44 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #116

well, i've not put one together, mostly anyways. all except the dome. I've got a good feel for assembly being a sheet metal worker and all. And i think i've got a lead on some good and cheap pvc sheets. We're taking a lot of plastic forming, fusing, and welding right now in trade school. my goal out of that is to make a helmet that i can use in paintball. I'll be posting pics as it comes along, but it may be a little while yet before i can actually get around to it, or afford the materials for that matter. but thanks again everyone for all the encouragement and tips. much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 021.jpg 
Views:	3579 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	16792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 024.jpg 
Views:	3519 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	16793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 022.jpg 
Views:	3479 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	16794  

17. Apr 5, 2007, 1:50 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #117

Quote wizardofflight said: View Post
    I am still collecting reference material and will be doing a Jango helmet, but I have been taking a little break from Fett templates to do a number of projects that I have been ignorign for too long. Not to worry it is on the list.

Alan
    I have assembled the plans for the helmet. I found either the printer missed out on a page, or I must have done something wrong. LOL theres a hole in the back of the dome quarter, HE HE Only three pages, when I need to have 4. Ill just repeat one of the pages.

Heres some pics.

Im going to make the ridges and raised areas, using standard cardboard boxes, Then Ill glass over it all. Ill probably buy the ears, or make them out of balsa.

Great plans M8!!! I also thank you.

But I do ask, could you, when you make your jango plans, offer them in a "movie sized, or big guy size" version if you want to call it that. Basically something that will look correct on 6' + tall PPL?

Thanks M8!!!

BTW this took about 3 hours, as I had to transcribe the print outs onto poster board. Super glue does not stick to poster board I found.
    And the most difficult areas were the cheeks. But overall great plans!!

Oh and jim beef, I am a structural mechanic for the US Navy, and I have started a 6061 T-6 aluminum jet pack, and looking at TIG welding it all together, this on the other hand has turned out to be far more of a project then I anticipated. making it out of sheet metal is a project and a half. Composites are far easier to work with, and easier to join, repair, ect. I think I may scrap my tig welded project altogether, as the time necessary to do all that is far longer than I expected. I think Ill just proceed with the strongest and lightest material possible, rather than go with the all Metal Jango. The armor sure, but the helmet and jet pack is just way too much work, at least for me at the moment.

If you go ahead with it, Id love to see a step by step on what you did though!

DM
    Last edited by Darth-Malevelus; Apr 5, 2007 at 2:34 PM.
    Apr 7, 2007, 1:19 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #118

i think i found a pretty slick way to do the dome for anyone having some troubles with it. plus as and added bonus, it seats on your head well and you can secure it. i found a good deal on a cheapie skateboard helmet, which, when i lined it up with the pattern cut outs, was almost a perfect line up with the dome contours. i've attatched my paper one to the helmet now, and i've got a little bit of tweeking to do, but it's lining up pretty sweet so far. i'm just hoping to get all the little bugs and tweeks figured out before i start putting some money into some plastics or fibre glass (haven't decided yet). here's a couple pics of how it lines up with the skateboard helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 031.jpg 
Views:	4197 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	16886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randoms 032.jpg 
Views:	3830 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	16887  
    Apr 8, 2007, 8:42 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #119

No cutting and it fits the pattern? Where did you find a cheap skateboarding helmet?
    Apr 8, 2007, 11:53 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #120

i got it a Canadian Tire. which probably doesn't do you any good if you live outside of Canada, or no where near the border. i bought it thinking i could quarter it, and still use the foam padding from it, but it all lined up good, so i'm just going to build around it
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Apr 8, 2007, 2:40 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #121

I'll have to check that out, where I am there's the 3rd biggest canadian tire in canada.
  22. Apr 9, 2007, 7:48 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #122

LOL two inches,... LOL

Does anyone have any idea on what to use to make the mold with? Id like to make mine out of some sort of plastic, but no idea what to use, Ive read here that someone was going to use spray on rubberized undercoating. But does anyone know anything else to use? Something more like hard plastic when cured.

I have finished off, elmers glueing everything, and systematically removing all the masking tape. I have used cardboard cut outs of the rear sections, and the visor cut out, and inserted them and glued them in place to make the negative of the raised areas on the helmet. Yet now closing in on the actuall casting portion itself, Im at a loss, of what to use that will end up as a hard plastic (like most toys). Id use glass but Id prefer something a little less messy. Id use plastic weld but it would take days, as I can only mix small amounts at a time.

What was the stuff they used in the special features when they showed them making the dome for vader? It was pigmented, and looked fairly easy to work with.
    Any other ideas?
    DM
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Apr 9, 2007, 11:14 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #123

What are you intending to make the rest of the helmet with? I've yet to see anyone make a mold from a cardboard helmet.
  24. Apr 10, 2007, 12:52 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #124

No, its not a cardboard helmet. LOL

Its made of poster board from WOF's plans. On the indside of the helmet I have placed card board where the T is in the Visor, and on the back of the inside below where the ridgeline of the helmet is.

Being that the inside of the posterboard helmet is in fact a negative, I using the cardboard which was rolled with a sheetmetal roller to keep it from kinking. to get the contours and ridges I need.

Im going to smear a thin coat of silicone caulking on everything inside to act a release agent. But Im not sure of the best plastic material to use for the casting material, that is readily available from a local store.

Waiting 6-8 weeks via mail order for a replenishment of casting matl, or anything gets to be a pain. And I'd like to try something different than Epoxy if I can.

I found out about waiting for shipping,when I discovered a source for the star wars paints from the OT, and ran out in the middle of my vader project.

Im looking to make this bucket out of some sort of durable plastic. something alittle easier to tool. and less hazardous to my lungs.
    Apr 10, 2007, 11:20 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #125

I'm planning on finishing mine out of PCV sheets. Which is why i'm spending so much time messing around with the cardboard and paper versions of it now. I want to be sure that eveything is going to line up and still fitt my noggin when all is said and done. The nice thing about the PVC is that you can take your flat patters, heat them, and roll them into shape. and if they don't quite roll right, you can always re-heat them, and try again.