Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 28, 2006, 5:46 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #51

Quote MARROW SUN said:
    Outstanding work Alan! Your selfless contributions have helped so many of us and continue to do so! Thanks for sharing your research and hard work!
    Amen to that and then some.

Luckily, the templates took to the super modified dome very nicely. The shape isn't perfect, but I think its a very good representation of Boba's dome.
    Warning to anyone who tries cutting their dome into quarters........getting the bondo to follow the natural curvatures IS A NIGHTMARE!!
    Now that that's said and done the rest is cake because Alan has done all the hard work for us!
    None of the lines on the lower half of the helmet are final trim lines. I cut my plastic larger in case of error. Still have some sanding to do where the dome meets the lower half and maybe a little heat tweaking.

Thanks again Alan.
    Josh

2. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 28, 2006, 5:52 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #52

Wow... that's amazing.
    Feb 6, 2006, 11:06 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #53

I just started working on the paper version of this for a test fit (thanks for the inspiration WOF!) Having never had my hands on a real bucket, I was surprised how large it is, yet it's still a little snug! I need to scale this up a few percent as well.

Question: Is the lower cheekbone a "flat" piece? I know I'll get a better idea how these pieces fit when I move to sintra, but I'm taking small steps. Thanks!

Chad
    Feb 7, 2006, 1:06 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #54

The lower cheekbone is a flat sheet. I was also amazed at the size and my head still didn't fit in the standard size version.

Good luck post pics.

Alan
    Feb 11, 2006, 8:17 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #55

Alan,
    Why the two templates for the lower cheekbone? I'm trying to find sintra and batting helmet now to get started on this.

Anyone else have pics of their progress on this?

Chad
    Feb 11, 2006, 11:13 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #56

Quote propcicle said:
    Alan,
    Why the two templates for the lower cheekbone? I'm trying to find sintra and batting helmet now to get started on this.

Anyone else have pics of their progress on this?

Chad
    I was also wondering about that. I'm starting to fill in the upper cheeks today as well as the key slots in the back. I've tried to cut one piece for the upper cheeks but it seems I can't get the compound curve even close to fitting so I'm going with 4 pieces to fill each upper cheek.
    This is what I have so far. Attempt at the funky brow and all.
    Feb 11, 2006, 4:20 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #57

Kripps - Looks good so far. I see you couldn't wait to shoot some paint on it! What type of material are you using? I just ran by Lowes this morning and picked up a couple "House for Sale" signs that I think are sintra. Still haven't found a batting helmet yet, they may not be in season yet.

Chad
  8. Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Feb 11, 2006, 5:09 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #58

Hit ebay for the batting helmet. I think I got mine for $25 shipped while they wer $30+ in stores.
    Feb 11, 2006, 5:54 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #59

Quote propcicle said:
    Kripps - Looks good so far. I see you couldn't wait to shoot some paint on it! What type of material are you using? I just ran by Lowes this morning and picked up a couple "House for Sale" signs that I think are sintra. Still haven't found a batting helmet yet, they may not be in season yet.

Chad
    It wasn't the wanting to paint it.........it was more like I couldn't really visualize the proportions without some of it being green.......... . The whole thing will be primed sanded, reprimed probably half a dozen more times before it's ready for paint. I'm using 3mm and 2mm sintra. The batting helmet is an easy 12$ investment at any sporting goods store.
    Feb 12, 2006, 10:24 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #60

Kripps - What kind of glue are you using to bond the sintra? I think there is special glue that fuses the plastic together but I haven't found that yet.

Also did you use WOF's inner template or the layer the outer. I wasn't sure why there was a specific layer for the inner layer, when only the back is seen. It looks like this inner layer would get in the way of the cheek pieces that curve into the helmet, maybe not. I need to get started on this - I'll probably answer my own questions.
    Last edited by propcicle; Feb 14, 2006 at 12:44 PM.
  11. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Feb 13, 2006, 12:49 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #61

Looking really good dude. Keep it up.
  12. formerly NoHumorMan Too Much Garlic's Avatar
    Feb 13, 2006, 8:03 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #62

This is a really interesting topic. Looking forward to more updates!
    Feb 18, 2006, 9:51 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #63

Question on the inner layers (the one with the A and B letters): Is there any overlap in the front or back on this piece? I've cut these pieces out and they seem to be a bit longer than the circumference of the lid. Anyone have any hints or did I mess up the scale when printing? Thanks!
    Feb 19, 2006, 1:02 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #64

Quote propcicle said:
    Kripps - What kind of glue are you using to bond the sintra? I think there is special glue that fuses the plastic together but I haven't found that yet.

Also did you use WOF's inner template or the layer the outer. I wasn't sure why there was a specific layer for the inner layer, when only the back is seen. It looks like this inner layer would get in the way of the cheek pieces that curve into the helmet, maybe not. I need to get started on this - I'll probably answer my own questions.
    I'm using Cyanoacrylate (super glue) for the initial "tack" if you will, PVC cement for larger pieces, and Plastic weld for re-enforcement. Lots of fumes.
    I used the outer layer template exclusively.........It just seemed to make sense the way I'm putting this one together.

I finished my keyslots and the left cheek. Still have a little shaping to do here and there / spot putty etc, but it's coming along nicely.
    Alan is the man.:thumbup

Feb 19, 2006, 1:42 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #65

I've picked up some batting helmets at second hand stores for 2 bucks. Excellent work people.
    Feb 19, 2006, 2:19 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #66

any dome updates wizardoflight?
    Feb 19, 2006, 4:13 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #67

Kripps, I can't wait to see this baby in person!
    Feb 19, 2006, 5:06 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #68

Holly crap! I have not looked at this thread at all till now, freaking amazing. I could never do that, you guys have some serious skills.
    Feb 19, 2006, 10:55 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #69

Good work Kripps! i think this is gonna be your V.3 helmet, right?
    Feb 20, 2006, 12:34 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #70

Sorry I have had the chance to reply, we are in the process of adopting a little boy and Ive havent had the time to keep up with the board.

Both the inner and outer surfaces have a short over lap tab. It is at the back of the helmet, there is a second vertical line on the pattern that represents the actual size that way the pattern can be trimmed as needed to adjust for variations in printing and material thicknesses.

Also I haven't had the chance to do any updates on the dome and with the new addition it may be a while.

Great work Kripps, that is looking great!!! Thank for the pics.

Alan
    Mar 1, 2006, 9:44 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #71

so alan, have you made the templates so they can print on 8.5 x 11 inch paper?
    Mar 2, 2006, 12:06 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #72

Sorry, I've been too busy for the past month to even look at the helmet drawings. Hopefully when things settle down I'll be able to get back to them.

Alan
    Mar 2, 2006, 7:47 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #73

ok then, alan! i can wait, and i bet the others can too.
    Apr 4, 2006, 7:43 AM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #74

This is awesome, WOF! Great work! I'm planning to scratchbuild a bucket pretty soon. Any chance you could re-upload those templates, as the link doesn't seem to work for me.
    Apr 4, 2006, 12:17 PM - Re: Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates #75

WOW!
    Most impressive!