Black wash

Boba Al

New Hunter
Gday Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has black washed their helmet???? Is this how to get that used look??? just been studying photos of the ESB helmet and it seems in various areas this is would be the case. Does anyone have photos of their finished product using the black wash method if in fact you did use it???

Cheers thanks guys

Al

TD281 said:
Gday Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has black washed their helmet???? Is this how to get that used look??? just been studying photos of the ESB helmet and it seems in various areas this is would be the case. Does anyone have photos of their finished product using the black wash method if in fact you did use it???

Cheers thanks guys

Al

If anyone knows me from this board, that's about the ONLY thing I ever say in regards to painting the helmet. The short answer is YES, many people have blackwashed their helmets and Lee and attest to this technique. Personally, I never blackwash with Black but with New Brunswick Green - its darker, but still has that green shade to it after the wash,thereby making the wash a bit more subtle and controllable.

Got Maul said:
If anyone knows me from this board, that's about the ONLY thing I ever say in regards to painting the helmet. The short answer is YES, many people have blackwashed their helmets and Lee and attest to this technique. Personally, I never blackwash with Black but with New Brunswick Green - its darker, but still has that green shade to it after the wash,thereby making the wash a bit more subtle and controllable.

That is a great tip!

What brand of paint is the New Brunswick Green?

yes I am also interested in doing some extra 'washing' to my armor pieces so they all look like they have the same degree of weathering to them all. I have been looking for a turtorial on here but haven't found one. Is it really just that simple? Paint and windex?

yup, just paint and windex or water. I particulary take a paper towel and add water depending on how thick I want it to go on. After the mix hits the surface, I noticed some colors pick up the dark faster than others...For instance, the green for the chest armor really picked up the dark fast so I had to splotch up and soak in the residual color fast so as to not leave droplets on the armor. Conversely, the helmet color doesn't soak it in as fast, so I had some good time on that...just remember to pick up the globs of liquid that form...

Also, the newbrunswick is from Lee's list..its what you use on the helmet darker green cheeks.

Got Maul said:
yup, just paint and windex or water. I particulary take a paper towel and add water depending on how thick I want it to go on.
When I try this.....It gets all "streaky" looking:facepalm
How do you avoid that?

psberetta said:
When I try this.....It gets all "streaky" looking:facepalm
How do you avoid that?

Try not "stroking it on" instead dap it on lightly and make sure you dont have alot of the wash on the brush or paper towel (or whatever your using) Less is more, the thicker the wash on your brush the more noticable it will be. Use small amounts and build it up till you get the desired effect.

Tim Allen said:
Try not "stroking it on" instead dap it on lightly and make sure you dont have alot of the wash on the brush or paper towel (or whatever your using) Less is more, the thicker the wash on your brush the more noticable it will be. Use small amounts and build it up till you get the desired effect.

Thanks Sir:cheers

Thanks guys the method worked a treat. i mixed a dark green and blue grey and turned out a fantastic i used some foam to sponge it on and dab it off before it dried as it was 43 degrees here in melbourne Aust!

Thanks for all the help this site is trully the best and im glade to see that nothing is a secret around here!! i bow down to you all!(y)

Hmmm, I never was a friend of the wash technique, so I simply modified the drybrush technique to weather my items. I take a bigger brush with soft hair. Dip it into black just a little, wipe of the color on a towel and the dab it over the area where I want to have it weathered. The plates take the color just a little so I need to go over the same area 2 or 3 times.

Check my chest to see how it looks like.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=11100

Its a little less noticable with natural light, the flash brings out the black a little to much. Its basicly just a dust.

Not long ago I read about someone using "black ink wash" in their weathering techniques. Also brown ink wash as well. Since then I've been searching for a clear and consice tutorial so I can learn to put the technique to use on my armor. Are these two techniques, black wash and black ink wash basically the same technique? I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on the subject as well as any links to tutorials on weathering our Mando armor etc. Thanks.

I agree with Sheriff Roscoe, I just got done doing the exact same thing but with an air brush and you won't have to use a towel to get up the excess (at least I didn't).

I've been kicking around the idea of buying an air brush and a small compressor for projects such as this. So when you spray on the paint/water mix, do you spray it all over the object, or just areas that would normally show worn areas in the finish? How dark do you make the area? Any helpful tips would help me immensely.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back