Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFS1 Fixed MR no cut

From
    Amity

BFS1 Fixed MR no cut

well ill get strait to the point on this one. this is the MR helmet i recently bought. honestly the pinch is not that bad imo but im a stickler for stuff to atleast lookright to a cirtain point so i figured ide fix the damn pinch. the paintjob on this thing is amazing and there is no way i was going to cut the helmet to fix it so i asked what to do on the another board forum and i was told that the cut is completely unnecessary. Thanks for the help Lee. what i was told was to use a heat gun to heat the helmet up and make it flexible. had to do this VERY SLOWLY as to not ruin the paintjob. removing all but the top two screws on the virticle parts of both mandables (this keeps the mandables level like on the ESB filming helmet) and repositioning the existing visor (didnt want my nose to be pushing against a new thicker visor) so that the verry bottom screw holes were on the very edge of becoming visible then glueing the visor in place, i was able to do this.
    the top & the bottom are now only 4mm in difference. this is not easily visible. i also removed alot of the green on the borden conecter to bring out the silver on it, also took some rust off the RF
    what ya guys think?

PS:Anyone know how to adjust the speed of the RF lights? they are alittle fast to my liking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mr-boba-helmet-jpg  
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; May 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM.

From
    California

Re: BFS1 Fixed MR no cut

Looks good. I plan on doing this to mine now.

Agreed well done, I have always though it un-necessary to cut up the MR helmet when it is a copy of a PP helmet, glad to see another person taking the initiative

From
    Hartselle,Alabama

Just wondering...what pinch?
    I understand your repair by does it need it?

From
    Amity

honestly its not that bad as people were making it out to be IMO. it is off by 10mm or so but this is a very simple fix that saves the helmet interior (which is very nice) aswell as the paint job. for the best pics of the pinch, look for the reparing the MR helmet thread by tk7602.

Dana

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

It looks just like the PP3 now. Nice job.

That does look really good. If I had wanted to preserve the paint on mine, that would have been a great way to do it. I was planning to strip it no matter what, so doing the cut and shift was actually sort of fun

BobaFettSlave_1 said: View Post
    well ill get strait to the point on this one. this is the MR helmet i recently bought. honestly the pinch is not that bad imo but im a stickler for stuff to atleast lookright to a cirtain point so i figured ide fix the damn pinch. the paintjob on this thing is amazing and there is no way i was going to cut the helmet to fix it so i asked what to do on the another board forum and i was told that the cut is completely unnecessary. Thanks for the help Lee. what i was told was to use a heat gun to heat the helmet up and make it flexible. had to do this VERY SLOWLY as to not ruin the paintjob. removing all but the top two screws on the virticle parts of both mandables (this keeps the mandables level like on the ESB filming helmet) and repositioning the existing visor (didnt want my nose to be pushing against a new thicker visor) so that the verry bottom screw holes were on the very edge of becoming visible then glueing the visor in place, i was able to do this.
    the top & the bottom are now only 4mm in difference. this is not easily visible. i also removed alot of the green on the borden conecter to bring out the silver on it, also took some rust off the RF
    what ya guys think?

PS:Anyone know how to adjust the speed of the RF lights? they are alittle fast to my liking
    Hey man,

Thanks for all your tips and advice. Your helmet looks great and gave me the the COURAGE to try this tonight! It was pretty easy to peel back the cloth and unscrew the screws going up the visor. then I took a few tooth picks. cutting them the width I wanted to seperate the mandables and taped the tooth picks together and around the edges with painters tape to protect the edges of the mandibles. I used a hair blowdryer to heat the areas on either side inside and out then stuck the taped toothpick between the mandibles on the outside of the visor keeping them spread open to a width were the screw holes were not visable. After a little heat over and over they stayed pretty much open to the width I wanted then I glued the visor in place. Sorry it's pretty late now but I was stoked about the way it turned out so I wanted to post some before and after shots! thanks again for your help! I was really bummed with the pinch until tonight!!!

Not perfect but MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!

From
    Massachusetts

Looks much better!

webchief said: View Post
    Looks much better!
    thanks man...

after getting a chance to sleep on it, I kinda wish I waited to glue it in cause I think replacing the visor would not be that hard with how easy the small screws are to take out. I'm happy with it though.

does anyone know how difficult it would be to remove a partially super glued visor just in case!

I kinda think with the visor off and more heat you'd really be able to shape it pretty well but I could be way off base. But it was pretty easy with a hair dryer to spread it out that far. I'm sure I could have gone farther had there not been the limitations of stopping at the screw holes of the current visor so they didn't show. The mask lining fabric inside just folded back in place and still looks nice.

From
    Amity

glad my instructions worked. it turned out great.

Thanks again for you help man! Hopefully we'll be seeing some more modded MR popping up around here shortly! It's nerve racking at first but really not that hard once you commit to it.

From
    UK

*fingers crossed for info*

From
    San Diego. CA/ Hertfordshire, England

Nicely done.

From
    Amity

hey guys this is what ive been sending for instructions to people who wanted alittle more detail than my first post..
    the heat gun ,(or hair dryer they both work) just point it directly in the helmet from a foot or two away. dont get it too warm though. and keep away from the visor!!! the padding only needs to be pulled back enough for you to get at the vertical screws, between a half inch to an inch. for the screws remove all VERTICLE mandable screws save for the two at the top corners of each mandable. leave the rest alown aswell. screws taken out you can put aside in a safe place but you wont need them as there holes are now off set. now for the visor. you are going to position the two bottom most holes on the verry edge of being visible and glue into place. i used CA glue. its a model superglue. use as little as you can, only enough to hold the visor to the proper spot on the mandables, so it doesnt damage the visor. if you want you could probobly drill new holes in the fiberglass for some of the screws instead of gluing it. I only used glue because i could not find the right size drill bit. on a side note you may not have to heat it up if you dont want to. by the time i was done removing screws the helmet had probobly returned close to normal temperature.
    hope that helps and good luck. post those fixes!!!

also alot credit goes to Lee and the guys from the another board for reccommending the heatgun method
    Dana

great info there. I'm leaning more and more to changing the visor completely now that I know how easy it is and that you don't have to mess up the padding inside.

Here's some more pics I took the other night. It's like having a whole new helmet!

From
    Amity

the onty issue with ME replacing my visor is that ide have to take off all that extra lip MR put in so that my nose isnt pushing against it as well as peeling back alot mor of that padding & im not up to that yet. it would look alot better though

From
    Amity

ok i think ive mustered up the brass to go about removing the lip & installing a new visor. dose anyone know where to get a smoked visor that will fit the MR helmet?

BobaFettSlave_1 said: View Post
    ok i think ive mustered up the brass to go about removing the lip & installing a new visor. dose anyone know where to get a smoked visor that will fit the MR helmet?
    the t-visor.com ones do fit, but you have to trim them. the mystery helmet sized one is slightly too large to fit well. you can take the mr one out and tape it to the t-visor.com one and trace it.

the way i did it was to peel apart the 2 layers of the mr visor (it's 2 thin sheets stuck together).

when you look at them, you'll see a distinct angle down one of the vertical sides.

flip one of the pieces over and line them up at the top. you'll now have a straight side on the left and right of the vertical part, and can use that as a template to trace onto the t-visor.com one.

or you could get a smoked welding make and trace onto that. the welding mask would be cheaper if you have someplace local to pick one up.

From
    UK

Nice tip on the visor taper... In doing that you end up with a parallel front section...

From
    Amity

THANKS!!!!!!

Well I finally mustard up enough courage to change the visor as well.

I ordered two #5 shade green face shields id 8566 today from mfasco.com. I got two just in case I screwed up one.

I pulled back the lining around the whole visor about 3/4 of an inch back from the existing visor. I held the lining back in place and out of the way with duct tape. I used an exacto knife to cut through some of the stingey glue hanging on to the fabric to make it easier to pull it back. It's still pretty well intact and will easily fold back into place when I'm done. I unscrewed all the screws all the way around the visor. I seperated the two part visor as TK7602 said to do and it worked great. Thanks man! I made a nice template out of heavy poster board from the existing and placed in the mask to check the size. I made the template a little wider down the front because I plan on using a little more heat and getting slightly more seperation before I install the new visor...

Now's the tricky part. I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it. I've done a few searches on this site and I've seen dremel tools work or melt the plastic. I've read that tin snips may work but I'm not sure just how jagged that would leave it. I have a hand held plexi glass cutter but I've only used it on flat pieces so I'm not sure if I can score the mask with that?

Also I'm really not sure how I'm going to afix the visor to the mask. I like the bolt method in the other thread but I don't have a lot of room with the fabric that I want to keep aligned with the visor once it's in. JB Weld seems like a good option I would just need to cover the interior enough if I was going to tack it with hot glue while the jb weld dried so I didn't get hot glue all over in there.

Do you think I'd be able to use the JB weld without hot glue tacking?

Any suggestions for cutting this type of face shield or last minute encouragement would be most helpful!

I almost forgot what is the best thing to use to clean fingerprints off the visor once it's in.

THANKS for all your help on this site! Great information here!!!

I'll post some pics of the lining pulled back in a few days when I get the face shields.

the shield will most likely be flexible. if so, you can just press it down flat on the table. i've used heavy duty scissors and xactos to cut welding shields. the "score and snap" method works well... make a cut with a ruler then bend the plastic and it will break along the line.

you should also have enough excess plastic that you can practice cutting around the edges of it. you can tape your template to the shield so that you know you're safe then hack away at the rest of it with whatever tools you like

tk7602 said: View Post
    the shield will most likely be flexible. if so, you can just press it down flat on the table. i've used heavy duty scissors and xactos to cut welding shields. the "score and snap" method works well... make a cut with a ruler then bend the plastic and it will break along the line.

you should also have enough excess plastic that you can practice cutting around the edges of it. you can tape your template to the shield so that you know you're safe then hack away at the rest of it with whatever tools you like
    awesome man thanks! I was expecting it to be a lot more rigid but it should be pretty easy to score it and snap it if I can lay it flat.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Like Brian said, they're pretty easy to cut. I've cut them with good scissors each time without any difficulty. Of course I'm built like a god so it's easy for me. Pfffft! Just kidding, it's easy enough though.