Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Nov 11, 2010, 12:22 AM - Re: Best of the Best #26

yes thats true but it just gets to me when people cry recaster when some one enquiers about how to cast a lid or in this case a mold of a lid as if they are guilty of copying some ones hard work and pedling it as there own when thats not the case
    Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM - Re: Best of the Best #27

Thanks guys for all your input. But to set the record straight. Out of all the people that are making Helmets, How many of them are casting off of Original molds from the Don Posts Collection?
    I know there are many Fett helmets that are out there, I would like to see the ones that are from the Original molds. Or are they even still out there?
    Nov 12, 2010, 2:29 PM - Re: Best of the Best #28

Just to be clear, in case you are misunderstanding what you have, Don Post did not make the original helmets used in the films. Don post made the earliest Halloween costume replicas of the Boba Fett helmet (among others) based on the original helmets(made in the UK).

The History of Fett Helmets is not a simple thing to understand. This post by Art should help you a little. Please read it. Boba Fett Costume Resource - First Sons Boba Fett Preproduction #2 Helmet Progeny

The Don Post Mold was made from a heavily modified casting of the original pre production 2 helmet. If you read that article you would see that the original casting kept all of the "damage" the original helmet had including dremel cuts and even super fine paint chips. That casting was then cleaned up, modified and sanitized. All of the original marks were filled and smoothed over. Who knows how much other restoration work was done. Also the Don Post logo and date were added. That sanitized, modified version was used to make the mold you are now in possession of. Which I am assuming was used to create many halloween mask over the years.

The GMH helmet made by FettPride is a cleaned up(barely and carefully) cast of the original fiberglass GMH helmet. That helmet can from a repaired mold that was cast off the original preproduction 2 helmet. So basically one generation before your mold was made. That is what makes it the closest to an original screen used helmet. It's gone through far less sanitization than the DP95 mold.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Nov 12, 2010, 2:39 PM - #29

Niknak, great summary.
  5. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 12, 2010, 2:53 PM - Re: Best of the Best #30

Also your mold is copyrighted I would say,
  6. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Nov 12, 2010, 5:34 PM - Re: Best of the Best #31

I think i need to point out that i have not tryed to tell Red eye that people will be lining up around the block to get there hands on a cast of this, What i have said is that if it turns out that the size is not the smaller size like the dons but is in fact the same as a real lid it could turn out to be a nice helmet , as in the pics there are a few noticable difrents in the mold than in the dodge dons , and if this is the case and it is the right size once the trademarking and date are fixed up it could be a prety interesting find and imo would put some of what we know to be tru about the linage and history of the don lin and its coming to be in to question . and if all thats is the case abnd is the same size as the real deal id want one ,
    And with the copyrighting was the M.R copyrighted, The recasts of them are to day the most popular helmets going around
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Nov 12, 2010, 6:19 PM - Re: Best of the Best #32

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Also your mold is copyrighted I would say,
    Copyright here only pertains to the cast product, not to the mold. The mold was owned by DP. Copyright of something like a mold simply resides with ownership of it. The product that came from it was sold under license. That license no longer exists. He owns the mold. There is no copyright issue. If LFL had any problems with anybody selling castings from this, it would solely be a licensing issue, and unless it was a high profile distribution of the product (like Ainsworth's inaccurate storm trooper replicas) nobody is going to take a legal interest.