Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2003, 9:58 PM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #26

Please keep in mind that the "movie accurate" helmet that a number of people now have isn't truly "movie accurate." It more accurately should be called "most movie accurate to date" helmet. In reality that helmet is a custom scuplt. It is dangerous to supliment artistic interpretation in place of the real deal.

Please do not think I am trying to tear the helmet down. I think it is the best damn thing I have seen and far ahead of any of the competition. However, the sculptor was just as prone to error as anyone else who has studied the helmet. Instead of using his dimensions as gospel, it would be highly advisable to do an in depth study and discover what YOU feel like are accurate measurements. Otherwise you end up with a trickle down effect of errors going from one sculpt to the next. Always go back to the source. Always rely on the REAL helmet.
  2. AoErat
    Jan 4, 2003, 10:54 PM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #27

Ego: Thanks. I searched around a found a thread with a few differences listed. I have the ref CD - I'll check those images.

Brak's Buddy: Yeah, I hear ya. I figure to use some basic dimensions off that helmet as a starting point, and reference the real one for exactness. Dunno how far that'll get me though.

Anyway, this is what I have now:

This is the plain CAD version - I hid dimensions etc for simplicity. (I'm also doing the other views, but they aren't anywhere near completion yet.)

And, the same image overlayed on the helmet pic BobaFettish provided:

I *think* the discrepancies on the bottom edge are due to the camera angle of the photo - unless the bottom of the helmet does in fact curve. (Anyone know for sure?) As you can see there are other problems, but I'm not sure how precise I want to go, or whether those areas of error are due to the photographs angle or are true mistakes in my work.

I welcome thoughts and comments.

~ Mike
  3. Jan 4, 2003, 11:06 PM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #28

Spooky how close that really is. I think that your idea about photo angle is dead-on. If you'll look, the cheek section has a straight line in relation to your superimposed line, and the rear has a curved line. The combination of the two indicates that the shot was taken just high of level.
    Jan 5, 2003, 3:59 AM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #29

This is the photo from the CD that I based my profile on. It shows the steeper angle of the rear quite clearly, plus the camera's viewpoint is pretty close to level to minimise distortions. I have a feeling that the steeper rear/flatter front of the dome adds something to the 'look' or image factor of the Fett helmet, that it wouldn't have if it was a symmetrical dome, closer to the stormtrooper helmets. Does that make sense? Sorry about the size of the image - I tried to compress it, but didn't get very far.

Jan 5, 2003, 9:31 AM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #30

Nice pic, Blaxmyth. Keep in mind though that this picture is of the RotJ helmet, a prime example of one difference between the two helmets.
    Jan 6, 2003, 9:45 PM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #31

BobaFettish wrote:

Nice pic, Blaxmyth. Keep in mind though that this picture is of the RotJ helmet, a prime example of one difference between the two helmets.
    Sorry BobaFettish - I'm slowly but surely veering to the ROTJ end of the continuum, try as I might to prevent it.
    Jan 6, 2003, 10:07 PM - Re: Beginning a helmet from scratch #32

Blaxmyth wrote:

Sorry BobaFettish - I'm slowly but surely veering to the ROTJ end of the continuum, try as I might to prevent it.
    Hahaha, I'm already there, but I still have an ESB helmet.