I see a lot of other FPH threads, so that was motivation for me to finally start working on mine!
I started with the keyslots today. Using my Dremel (okay, it's a Craftsman, but I don't feel like typing Craftsman rotary tool, therefore it will called a Dremel), I used a small standard drill bit and did a rough carving in each of the slots. There were a few glitches, but nothing I can't correct with sanding:
After that, I tackled each slot with a hobby file set (special thanks to the other Eric (superjedi), as I never would've thought to use them. The entire set of files is about $10 at any hardware store. I didn't get a picture as I was so excited with how well it turned out. After a light sanding, I added a single coat of primer (apparently the same color that ol' FP uses):
The great thing about the primer coat, is it allows me to spot 'problem' areas that I couldn't see before. Thanks to my meticulous (read: anal-retentive) nature, I can now go back and re-file and sand the few areas that didn't pass:
Tomorrow, I'll do the final filing and will hit the back of the helmet with another light coat of primer.
After that, it's off to sanding and steel wool on the aluminum ear pieces!