Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question

Cameron

Hunter
Hi All,
Long time RPF member here. Im new to the DH but Ive been lurking for years. Awesome place and peeps.

I have embarked on my first ESB Fett Helmet and Im building one of Asoks CCC lids. First let me say this lid is awesome. Im all prepped up and ready to paint but I have hit a wall.
I have read everything I can find on the site about templates and I have tried to scale every type thats been posted on here and I cant get any of them to line up on the back. The dimensions are tricky since the cast seems to be wider in the back plates so simple scaling of the image doesn't work. Ive tried stretching and tweaking and scalling by size and % and no luck getting them to line up.
Ive been at this for a week and I cant make it work. Does anyone have a solution to getting the templates to match or do you perhaps have templates already scaled for the shape of Asoks awesome helmet.
All the best and happy to be a member,
Cameron

I will be in your shoes in a little it so I'm hoping that someone has some ideas.

You might send me in PM the exact measurements of each side of the back plates and I will try to tweak it for you; I already did this for Hobbit's bobamaker helmet.

Right Side.jpg

Remember to do the same measurements for the left side too.

Rafalfett
That is so awesome of you! Im off to measure!! The wonderful giving nature of the people in this hobby never ceases to amaze me. Many thanks!
Cameron

Im sure Raf will get you completely sorted mate, but sent you a PM with some extra ideas on stencil scaling. Good luck my friend, plenty of crew to help you out here if needed :)

Thanks for all the great PM and the tips Jayvee. Im a bit scared of this paint up but with all of the great members here I might have a chance of getting through it.

Here are the modified stencils (with color separation too) for the back plate area:

View attachment ESB Back Plates (Asok CC) A4.zip

Although the left side is almost a perfect fit, the right side is a bit off and you will need to cut the stencil in 2-3 pieces, like this:

Cut Here.jpg

If there are other problems, just let me know.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
We're here to help when it is possible and I'm glad that I was able to do this for you. Just remember to take your time on this and do each step with patience and great care. There are great painters on TDH and most of them will gladly answer your questions.

Keep on hunting!

I'm about to hit this step, too - this will save me much frustration that Cameron was dealing with! Many, many, many thanks, RF!

Side question: does any special prep need to be done to the Asok CC surface before primer is put down? (I know it's already silver, but I had to fix a couple of unintended nicks I made while cutting out the visor with some putty, so I want to lay down some primer + bright silver before I begin stenciling.)

I'm about to hit this step, too - this will save me much frustration that Cameron was dealing with! Many, many, many thanks, RF!

Thanks a lot! Remember that these files are in A4 format and you'll have an 1:1 result if you print it with the 'fit to page' option. If you use the US Letter format, you will have a different printing result; if that's the case, let me know and I will do a Letter format too.

Side question: does any special prep need to be done to the Asok CC surface before primer is put down? (I know it's already silver, but I had to fix a couple of unintended nicks I made while cutting out the visor with some putty, so I want to lay down some primer + bright silver before I begin stenciling.)

For this you might get an answer from those who already worked with an Asok CC helmet. Keep us posted with your paint job.

Thanks RF!

You're welcome!

I agree, Raf is indeed Captain Man!!

Raf, as per our discussion here is a pic of the template against the Asok CC.
BFLeftTemplate2.JPG

I lined it up against the bottom for the pic. Please excuse the template color. Im out of color ink.
Many thanks,
Cameron

i was asking about that for fp's mr premium helmet sometime in 2011. i ended up stretching and skewing and free transforming the templates in photoshop, and by trial and error i eventually found the right size

Once I convince you Raf to paint a helmet, you will henceforth be known as admiral Raf!

Thanks a lot! Remember that these files are in A4 format and you'll have an 1:1 result if you print it with the 'fit to page' option. If you use the US Letter format, you will have a different printing result; if that's the case, let me know and I will do a Letter format too.

Thanks, Raf! I can pick up some A4 paper tomorrow, but if you're feeling like it and if you're around, I'll take the US Letter format today. No rush or anything. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back