Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 13, 2013, 7:31 PM - Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #1

Hi All,
    Long time RPF member here. Im new to the DH but Ive been lurking for years. Awesome place and peeps.

I have embarked on my first ESB Fett Helmet and Im building one of Asoks CCC lids. First let me say this lid is awesome. Im all prepped up and ready to paint but I have hit a wall.
    I have read everything I can find on the site about templates and I have tried to scale every type thats been posted on here and I cant get any of them to line up on the back. The dimensions are tricky since the cast seems to be wider in the back plates so simple scaling of the image doesn't work. Ive tried stretching and tweaking and scalling by size and % and no luck getting them to line up.
    Ive been at this for a week and I cant make it work. Does anyone have a solution to getting the templates to match or do you perhaps have templates already scaled for the shape of Asoks awesome helmet.
    All the best and happy to be a member,
    Cameron
    Jan 13, 2013, 7:37 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #2

I will be in your shoes in a little it so I'm hoping that someone has some ideas.
    Jan 13, 2013, 11:44 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #3

You might send me in PM the exact measurements of each side of the back plates and I will try to tweak it for you; I already did this for Hobbit's bobamaker helmet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Side.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	66597

Remember to do the same measurements for the left side too.
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 14, 2013, 12:17 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #4

Rafalfett
    That is so awesome of you! Im off to measure!! The wonderful giving nature of the people in this hobby never ceases to amaze me. Many thanks!
    Cameron
    Jan 14, 2013, 12:52 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #5

Im sure Raf will get you completely sorted mate, but sent you a PM with some extra ideas on stencil scaling. Good luck my friend, plenty of crew to help you out here if needed
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 14, 2013, 12:55 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #6

Thanks for all the great PM and the tips Jayvee. Im a bit scared of this paint up but with all of the great members here I might have a chance of getting through it.
    Jan 14, 2013, 1:13 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #7

Here are the modified stencils (with color separation too) for the back plate area:

ESB Back Plates (Asok CC) A4.zip

Although the left side is almost a perfect fit, the right side is a bit off and you will need to cut the stencil in 2-3 pieces, like this:

Name:	Cut Here.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	66602

If there are other problems, just let me know.

Have fun!
    Last edited by RafalFett; Jan 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM. Reason: Replaced ZIP file with the A4 termination.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 14, 2013, 1:20 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #8

RafalFett
    Many thanks. I am most grateful. One step closer to my childhood dream.
    Cameron
    Jan 14, 2013, 1:31 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #9

We're here to help when it is possible and I'm glad that I was able to do this for you. Just remember to take your time on this and do each step with patience and great care. There are great painters on TDH and most of them will gladly answer your questions.

Keep on hunting!
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jan 14, 2013, 8:15 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #10

I'm about to hit this step, too - this will save me much frustration that Cameron was dealing with! Many, many, many thanks, RF!

Side question: does any special prep need to be done to the Asok CC surface before primer is put down? (I know it's already silver, but I had to fix a couple of unintended nicks I made while cutting out the visor with some putty, so I want to lay down some primer + bright silver before I begin stenciling.)
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #11

Thanks RF!
    Jan 14, 2013, 11:23 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #12

Quote ZacMuleer said: View Post
    I'm about to hit this step, too - this will save me much frustration that Cameron was dealing with! Many, many, many thanks, RF!
    Thanks a lot! Remember that these files are in A4 format and you'll have an 1:1 result if you print it with the 'fit to page' option. If you use the US Letter format, you will have a different printing result; if that's the case, let me know and I will do a Letter format too.

Side question: does any special prep need to be done to the Asok CC surface before primer is put down? (I know it's already silver, but I had to fix a couple of unintended nicks I made while cutting out the visor with some putty, so I want to lay down some primer + bright silver before I begin stenciling.)
    For this you might get an answer from those who already worked with an Asok CC helmet. Keep us posted with your paint job.

Quote gt8mar said: View Post
    Thanks RF!
    You're welcome!
    Jan 15, 2013, 12:44 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #13

Raf, you da man!
    Jan 15, 2013, 6:52 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #14

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    Raf, you da man!
    He da Captain too! Very lucky to have such brilliance on this site. We are all getting much better results because of these talented and very helpful people!
    Jan 15, 2013, 8:03 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #15

Raf, you da man!
    Quote hobbit057 said: View Post
    He da Captain too! Very lucky to have such brilliance on this site. We are all getting much better results because of these talented and very helpful people!
    Thanks for the confidence, boys, it means a lot, but please don't build me a statue; there are others who deserve a lot more praise than I.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 15, 2013, 1:50 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #16

I agree, Raf is indeed Captain Man!!

Raf, as per our discussion here is a pic of the template against the Asok CC.

Name:	BFLeftTemplate2.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	66638

I lined it up against the bottom for the pic. Please excuse the template color. Im out of color ink.
    Many thanks,
    Cameron
    Jan 15, 2013, 2:51 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #17

i was asking about that for fp's mr premium helmet sometime in 2011. i ended up stretching and skewing and free transforming the templates in photoshop, and by trial and error i eventually found the right size
    Jan 15, 2013, 3:08 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #18

Once I convince you Raf to paint a helmet, you will henceforth be known as admiral Raf!
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jan 15, 2013, 4:37 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #19

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Thanks a lot! Remember that these files are in A4 format and you'll have an 1:1 result if you print it with the 'fit to page' option. If you use the US Letter format, you will have a different printing result; if that's the case, let me know and I will do a Letter format too.
    Thanks, Raf! I can pick up some A4 paper tomorrow, but if you're feeling like it and if you're around, I'll take the US Letter format today. No rush or anything.
  20. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Jan 15, 2013, 7:52 PM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #20

I don't know Cameron, those colors look pretty cool! Haha
    Jan 16, 2013, 12:43 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #21

Quote Cameron said: View Post
    I agree, Raf is indeed Captain Man!!

Raf, as per our discussion here is a pic of the template against the Asok CC.

Name:	BFLeftTemplate2.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	66638

I lined it up against the bottom for the pic. Please excuse the template color. Im out of color ink.
    Many thanks,
    Cameron
    I would suggest that when you do some print testing, to always print a page that has less color (use one of the color separation image for that) to not waste the ink/powder in the printer cartridge. From what I see the stencil you printed out looks a bit bigger than the left back plate and this might be because of your printer's settings (?). When you print a page always use the 'fit to page' option then use a ruler to check the measurements or do a test fit with the desired part. I used these values (in an image editor) to achieve the approximated sizes for the Asok CC back plates (works for the bobamaker helmet too): increase the width of the page to 105% and decrease the height to 95%. When doing this, don't forget to unthick the 'maintain aspect ratio' (or 'preserve aspect ratio' or similar) in the resize/resample option. But the image resulted is distorted (+ 5% width and -5% height) and the A4 (or Letter) page will not be printed correctly. To correct this, you need to select the modified image (only the back plate and not the whole image) with the 'selection tool' then do a 'copy' of the area and then 'paste' the new selection into an unmodified color separation page. Save the page with a different name and do another test print.

Name:	Step 01.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	66646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 02.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	66645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 03.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	66644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 04.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	66643 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 05.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	66647

Once I convince you Raf to paint a helmet, you will henceforth be known as admiral Raf!
    NO! It's a trap!!!

Thanks, Raf! I can pick up some A4 paper tomorrow, but if you're feeling like it and if you're around, I'll take the US Letter format today. No rush or anything.
    I will do the Letter format today. Thanks!
    Jan 16, 2013, 2:29 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #22

OK! Here are the ESB back plate stencils in Letter format (approximated fit to the Asok and the Boabamaker helmets):

ESB Back Plates (Asok CC) LTR.zip

Have fun!
    Jan 16, 2013, 2:42 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #23

It's a trap? Dude that's funny. Thanks for doing this. I'm going to give your recommendations a try this weekend and see how they look.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jan 17, 2013, 8:30 AM - Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #24

These are awesome, RF, thanks. This will hold me over while I get started on my paint job- in the meantime, do you need any measurements to scale the other sections of the Asok CC helmet for your templates?
    Jan 17, 2013, 9:34 AM - Re: Asok Cold Cast Helmet Template Question #25

These are awesome, RF, thanks. This will hold me over while I get started on my paint job- in the meantime, do you need any measurements to scale the other sections of the Asok CC helmet for your templates?
    The main problem was the back plate area, the rest of the helmet should fit a bit better, but you will still need to do some tweaking. If there's an area with big differences, just let me know.

Thanks!