Long time lurker, and first time poster. I've spent many hours strategizing the best way to tackle the paint for an ESB bucket. Just the first few weeks have been a learning experience in the prep work and mistakes that one may make in painting. I purchased one of ASOK's buckets, and I was incredibly happy with the transaction and correspondence! This bucket is more or less a trial in the process for myself in what others have put out before me, and have since discovered that recreating the "unintentional" errors of the ESB helmet more or less turns out to be an interpretation of what we see. In another life, I had an artistic background with an attention to detail, and many mediums including: Oil and acrylic paints, markers, ink, charcoal, and pencil. This is quite
a deviation from the majority of the population in my current profession. My hats off to those of you who have replicated this thing to every exacting detail of the original! I'm fortunate to have a hobby shop around the corner with the full library of Humbrol paints, and this forum to reference to.
My goals for this helmet are to:
- Learn the nuances of the color mixing, to create a likeness of the original helmet.
- To experiment with the methods and mediums within the painting process.
- Spend a lot of money on paint, mediums, and equipment to complete
I finished my prep work, to which I didn't take pictures (I appologize), about 3 weeks ago on the weekend. All went smoothly, but I quickly noticed some deformation in the helmet following the prep work and leaving the visor area, without a visor. I purchased a 3mm visor on amazon (outlined in another thread), and within 24 hours just after installing the visor, the shape went back to normal without any manipulation.
Following the prep work, I wanted to tackle the back panels first. I layed the silver, then the grey, then the beige.... When removing the mask, I started to also lift the grey layer in the process, creating something that was not reminicent of the original. I was then able to peel off all of my beige and grey layers with a knife, resanded, and picked the ears to start off with. To prevent this in the future, I spray a light coat of testors gloss coat on each layer to prevent the peeling back, and give the masking fluid less to grip to. So far, this has worked!
Following Jayvee's, TF's threads, and Welshwarrior's youtube videos, I had a good idea of where to start:
- Grey 28 (although appeared a bit beige following the process)
- Red 60
- 1:1 78+159
- Mask + white 34 (used Tamiya 18mm and 6mm masking tape for this, cutting the curves where needed).
- Used "Micro Mask" for all masking and had no issues here. I'm curious to try out other masking fluids, but the local shop has every humbrol product but maskoll.
- All layers were buffed with 0000 steel wool between applications.
Here's where I'm at now:
I'll add and update as the process comes along!