Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

From
    London, UK

Re: AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

linusvanpelt said: View Post
    How can you get so sharp edges on cardboard ?

What kind of piece is this and where on the helmet is it ?:

1stly curves are always gonna be a bit raggedy. just go over it like 10+ times. The slower you go/more times you go over it the better.

2ndly don't worry about those pieces.

that is what the curved surface of the ears looks like when layed out flat. You don't need to cut these out of card.

also I wouldn't use a powder and water mix wall filler. Use the stuff that comes ready in tubes, there's no danger of the cardboard becoming soggy that way.

and in answer to creon's question. When painting I wouldn't use a clear coat (not at first) . I just went straight in and used a white primer paint that said suitable for MDF. Anything that works on MDF or wood will work on card.

and there's no point trying to put a thin layer of filler on the whole thing. If you've worked carefully the best finish is achieved by painting primer straight onto the card.

hope this helps

- Tom
    Last edited by madmanmoe64; Mar 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

From
    Calgary, AB. Canada

Antman, I'm amazed at the fine work you have done on this tut. I have started mu bucket and hope it comes out as good as yours. looking forward to further steps.

Thanks
    Richard

Account Deactivated
    From
    N.J.

I'm working on my helmet and also armor in a unique look

From
    Indianapolis, IN

Great tutorial, thanks. Really helps with my scratch build!!

From
    Vancouver

Hi! I'm new and have start to build one of the cardboard base helmet following your "process": very very very usefull and well done! I'd like to know where I can find the black material to make the visor? if ever u call it that...the T shape covering the eyes. After reading your comment about your helmet being too small,I start wondering a bit! I guess as long as it fit my head that's fine? I'm French and live in Canada and not familiar with inches & that's what the printer use...

I'd like to know where I can find the black material to make the visor? if ever u call it that...the T shape covering the eyes.
    If the time is ripe for me to make the visor, i'll make it like this way:

http://www.darksidesithlord.com/my-c...eation-01.html
    read Page 1 and 2.

I will use a tinting foil for cars and some plexiglass. The convenience is, you can use it outside in sunny weather and you are sun protected (most of this foils, anyway)

....so, i did some testings for filling with wallfiller and bondo. I prefer bondo. You can see here:
    http://linusvanpelt.li.funpic.de/EarPart.pdf

.....and here my long way to the perfect dome (not finished yet):
    http://linusvanpelt.li.funpic.de/TheDome.pdf

From
    Vancouver

linusvanpelt said: View Post
    If the time is ripe for me to make the visor, i'll make it like this way:

http://www.darksidesithlord.com/my-c...eation-01.html
    read Page 1 and 2.

I will use a tinting foil for cars and some plexiglass. The convenience is, you can use it outside in sunny weather and you are sun protected (most of this foils, anyway)

....so, i did some testings for filling with wallfiller and bondo. I prefer bondo. You can see here:
    http://linusvanpelt.li.funpic.de/EarPart.pdf

.....and here my long way to the perfect dome (not finished yet):
    http://linusvanpelt.li.funpic.de/TheDome.pdf
    Hi Linusvanpelt, thanx for your answer.very interesting and usefull...the time to put the visor on is not came yet as I am building the dome right now apparently like u and with the same problems! anyway your tips for the visor are very interesting and I think I'll go for it...and for the second one about the bondo...great,can't wait to done all that! thanx and good building..

So, the next i wanna do are the arrows and the dent. But does anybody know where i exactly have to place these things. Have somebody of you measures ?

From
    Tsawwassen

this thread along with wizardofflight's templates have been a godsend and have likely made many a dream of owning fett buckets/armor come true, i know they have for me thank you both so much! i wish i could offer more help to the people above me who need it, but alas: i am still a costuming noob Good luck to everyone!

looking good there linus

From
    UK. bournemouth, bridgwater.

hey good job i started my first scratch build last night, im using cardboard, but i started with out looking at any tutorials first. i made the dome first just with the trianglular shaped parts and with out the frame of the dome so it is not symetrical it is lower at the front than the back, if that makes sense, so i think ill have to start again or cut apart the dome.

any tips for a newbie just starting up?

When I make my domes, I usually separate the dome into four parts, each with its own separate frame, if that makes sense. I find that doing it that way gives the dome a lot more strength, because when you glue the four parts together the frame is doubled.

From
    UK. bournemouth, bridgwater.

hey guys does any one know of a straight forward tutorial, im getting a little confused with it, im not sure where im going with it. any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thank you AntMan and WOF for the great tutorials and templates. I hope to start a build sometime soon.

6. Gesso primer for sealing/primering the finished bucket; US: Minwax Polycrylic Sealer
    Are the Gesso and Minwax Polycrylic interchangeable or is there a preference for one over the other?

Thanks to everyone for a great place to get advice and learn.

AntMan, this is beautiful! Don't stop now! I need to see the outcome of this! Great job!

From
    London, UK

jobiwan said: View Post
    hey guys does any one know of a straight forward tutorial, im getting a little confused with it, im not sure where im going with it. any help would be muchly appreciated.
    As far as I know this is the most straight forward tutorial there is, or at least the most detailed.

If there's anything specific you're stuck on ask me (or the rest of the community), I've finished my card bucket (excluding painting) using this tutorial and a bit of improvisation.

From
    Long Island NY

That is too sweet, how many blades have you gone through so far???,,,,wow

From
    Debrecen, Hungary

This is amazing.....

From
    San Diego, CA

Most Excellent workmanship!!!

From
    Wisconsin

Dude I love the in depth pictures... cant wait to see this thing done!

You are such an inspiration by making this look so easy. Based on your 2 builds I started one of my own this weekend. Got it up to the point of the dome supports. I'm using a couple of sheets of 32 inch by 40 inch mat board from Michael's.

One change Ive made so far was adding about 16 tabs around the dome base to give a little bit more surface area for the glue to hold. I just drew them on before i cut the base and folded them down. It looks like you did something similar on yours, just couldnt tell if they are actually a part of your base or separate pieces.

From
    currently: Cincinnati Ohio

I'm in the middle of making mine but I used poster board... its not working out so great but I'll keep at it. Thanks for all the great pics on the how to.

From
    fresno, ca

This is awesome!!:thumbup This insired me to finally stop looking and start doing. The only cardboard I could find though is black, so that should prove interesting! Any updates yet? I'm sure we'd ALL love to see how you finish this. Those wires & paper clip pieces are a tease! Thanks.

From
    Rockland County NY

okay i was SO proud of my bucket, untill now. that absolutely put me to shame. one question. when i layed the pieces for my dome i didnt do a very good job. i was under my own assumption that once i add the spackle it would work out. i now realive that is probably a lot os spackle. will that be a problem?

From
    Papillion, NE

This thread has helped out a ton. I found this through www.instructables.com. This thread was a lot more informative. Now I am half way through my first helmet and it is looking great. Thanks so much.