AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

From
    Mississippi

Re: AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

It's been about a month. Does anyone know when antman might get back to this? I would really love to see this completed.

From
    N'Ireland

Brensett, send him a PM about it :-)

From
    Kansas City

Keep up the great work Antman. It's such a thrill to watch these projects come together.

From
    The old center of Delft-The Netherlands

As promised a while ago, here is a progress update of the sanding process. This, for me, is the most time consuming part of all steps an also the most boring part. I also want to stress the fact of applying the paste (Bondo-like stuff) should be done as smoothly and precise as possible. Thus, the sanding will go a lot easier and less corrections of bumps and lumps are needed.
    Now let's get to the pictures:

Looking a lot smoother than when I started :

A close-up reveals that some areas need some additional filling:

The cheek area detailed view:

The right-ear area also need some fine-tuning:

Oops! Forgot a spot :

But overall, it looks cool:

Now starts the iterative process of filling the uneven areas and sanding smooth again.

Back soon!8)
    Peter

"With great power comes great responsibility"

From
    Glendale, Arizona

wow. that is amazing!!! Great work with the bondo!!! The dome looks
    great!!!

Looking AWESOME!!!

From
    Norway

Neat! this gonna be a custum, jango or bobba?

From
    North Carolina

Last edited by lostdude; Dec 25, 2008 at 10:11 AM.

From
    Oxfordshire, England

Antman, Just finishing off my first scratch build whilst using your tutorials. Good work and thanks.

Simon

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...d=1#post398153

From
    Mississippi

This is fantastic!! THank you for the tut, antman. I am using this to help build my first bucket. I really appreciate all that you have done for us.

From
    Windsor

Such a great guide for people who want to build a bucket from scratch.
    This thread has helped me build my own one.

Also does anyone have any good tips for sanding and getting a nice smooth dome. I not good at using filler.

Here's the stage i'm at.

Thanks again Antman and Wizardofflight's awesome templates.
    Last edited by F-943; Jan 15, 2009 at 1:03 PM.

From
    Titusville, FL

Patience and a lot of elbow grease.

David.

From
    Switzerland

Thank you so much for that great tutorial. I'm looking forward to making one myself. At first, i was very cautious but after seeing this Tutorial, I'm astonished how 'easy' it actually is. Well, let's say, at least not such difficult as I expected it to be.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this cool Community.

/Thath0r

From
    Toledo, Ohio

Hey there folks, first time poster here. I first found this amazing site through a cardboard tutorial (maybe this same one?) on the "instructables" website. I tried then, without much success to assembly the patters in three dimensions as paper in order to gauge my ability to handle this project. Thanks so much for this great tutorial! I know think I have a much better handle on how to assemble this thing and am ready to give it a second shot. I do have one small questions though. There are still two pieces, page four with the text "Helmet form Rt/Lt", and page eight with the text "Helmet from Frt/Bk", that I can't figure out what to do with. These are not the inside surface (which also confused me for a minute) so what are they? Anyway, great tutorial. There are many great projects people have demonstrated on here but none that helped me to truely grasp the concept of piecing this thing together like this one did. Not to mention the fact that the templates exist in the first place. Well sorry for the long winded forst post, and thanks in advance for any info as to how to use the two mystery pieces!

- John

From
    Glendale, Arizona

christssoldiers said: View Post
    Hey there folks, first time poster here. I first found this amazing site through a cardboard tutorial (maybe this same one?) on the "instructables" website. I tried then, without much success to assembly the patters in three dimensions as paper in order to gauge my ability to handle this project. Thanks so much for this great tutorial! I know think I have a much better handle on how to assemble this thing and am ready to give it a second shot. I do have one small questions though. There are still two pieces, page four with the text "Helmet form Rt/Lt", and page eight with the text "Helmet from Frt/Bk", that I can't figure out what to do with. These are not the inside surface (which also confused me for a minute) so what are they? Anyway, great tutorial. There are many great projects people have demonstrated on here but none that helped me to truely grasp the concept of piecing this thing together like this one did. Not to mention the fact that the templates exist in the first place. Well sorry for the long winded forst post, and thanks in advance for any info as to how to use the two mystery pieces!

- John
    The pages are for shape...that is how the helmet should look from a side and bottom view. You dont actually use them, except for reference. Hope this helps!!!

A'den

From
    Toledo, Ohio

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    The pages are for shape...that is how the helmet should look from a side and bottom view. You dont actually use them, except for reference. Hope this helps!!!

A'den

Yes very much, thanks! I was hoping it was something like that. If it wasn't it would probably have meant that I was just to dumb to even be considering this

Well that I means I can start on "Cheapo Fett" and try to assemble something out of cardboard. If all goes way maybe I will give it a serious effort.

From
    Toledo, Ohio

AntMan said: View Post

10. Filler! This particular type is for filling holes in walls; US: Bondo Car Body Filler
    One more quick question, you say that you are using "wall filler" but that the U.S.equivalent is "bondo". Bondo is a two part fiberglass filler yet it looks like you have a one part filler compound of some kind. Is it actually bondo I should try to use or should I use a wall filler, or spackeling compound? This thread is amazing! I have had it open non-stop now for four days as I created "Cheapo Fett v0.02b" and it is really coming along nice thanks to all your effort in typing this up!

From
    London, UK

christssoldiers said: View Post
    Is it actually bondo I should try to use or should I use a wall filler, or spackeling compound?
    I used wall filler, or polyfilla in the u.k. (dunno if it's the same state side) Imo this is the best match for cardboard. And it's a lot easier to work with and smooth down etc.

When people make plastic/sintra buckets they use fiberglass or bondo.

From
    Australia

The detail put into this project is astounding, quite inspiring to others to build themselves.
    Should stop searching all these different forums im creating too many projects for myself and hardly have time to do them :P

From
    Romoland California

Found endless source of knowledge from this thread, gave me the courage to start my own build, gonna start working on the dome very soon =] You truly are an artists.

AntMan said: View Post
    Let's cut right to the chase and continue where I left off:

Next, I cut out most of the "Dome Base" from the bucket, leaving an inner supportive ring of about 10 mm wide.

This ring will keep the bucket in shape and will support the "Dome Form" rings ( pages 5+6 ) which I transfer to cardboard and cut out next:

Also for these I cut out most, leaving a structure of about 10 mm wide and connect them to the bucket rim like this:

I cut out a piece of the center top half to interlock into the other piece (with a drop of white glue)

This is the glue I used:

Hmpff! Now I have to go and prepare dinner since it is already a quarter to six. Darn DST!

Oh well.... back soon! 8)

"With great power comes great responsibility"

do you think sobo glue will have the same result on this guy, I'm using your guide for our group build project, found it really helpful' just wondering if Sobo its a safe glue to use.

PS:Nice Getter 2 revoltech, I have the same one.

Hallo, I'm a Newbie here in this forum and have a question about the filler, again. Should I use a wall filler or Bondo for cars or anything else ? But I think, if I use a wall filler the dome becomes to wet and deforms, because I have to mix the powder with water. And if I use Bondo, I belive the dome becomes to heavy.

The next thing is, before I start painting I use a plain surface as possible. Does the sealing agent ( is this the "Gesso Primer" ?) plain the surface, or should I try to do a thin layer of filler all over the helmet and smooth it as possible as I can. Because cardboard has always a little structure and I'm afraid that this would be visible after painting. Can someone help ?

linusvanpelt said: View Post
    Hallo, I'm a Newbie here in this forum and have a question about the filler, again. Should I use a wall filler or Bondo for cars or anything else ? But I think, if I use a wall filler the dome becomes to wet and deforms, because I have to mix the powder with water. And if I use Bondo, I belive the dome becomes to heavy.

The next thing is, before I start painting I use a plain surface as possible. Does the sealing agent ( is this the "Gesso Primer" ?) plain the surface, or should I try to do a thin layer of filler all over the helmet and smooth it as possible as I can. Because cardboard has always a little structure and I'm afraid that this would be visible after painting. Can someone help ?
    I went to get the cardboard today, its pretty sturdy so I wouldn't worry about using wall filler; as for the gesso I have worked with it and its a good primer for your painting needs( I used it for preparing canvas)I personally will use the ready made spackle, i have a bunch after fixing some stuff, it dries quicly and its pretty light, its called DAP CrackShot high prformance spackling paste.

hope it helps

Thank you cerberusrex25, I think I try both ways on a little piece of cardboard for testing.
    And here is another question to AntMan :
    How can you get so sharp edges on cardboard ? Here I used a fresh Hobbyknife. The straight lines are ok, but the curved....:

I do this in 3 or 4 Steps and very carefully...

The next question is:
    What kind of piece is this and where on the helmet is it ?:

From
    RIVERBANK CA

dude. I kinda want to cry right now. great job....(understatement)

From
    i live in a small town in Norway, Scandinavia

hey there. outstanding work! thanks a lot!

but what do you when you paint cardboard? do paint strait on the cardboard? i thought of using some sort of clear coat ("laquer" if thats the word) to paint over