Well after the warm welcome from you guys I don't feel quite as scared to post up a pic of my scratch build as I did.
Just about finished on the dome and about to plonk it in place for a test fit and tweaks. I've been reading the scratch build thread and I am slack jawed at how good they look which is why I snagged the templates <big thanks to Wizardofflight for posting them up> and had a bash at it. I've looked at Honus' thread and his instructable too, not sure what Spackle paste is over here in the UK, so I may have to either use good old body filler or polyfilla I'll do a few tests and see which works best. if it turns out okay I'll sand it smooth and maybe do a latex snap mold for a test mold before producing a final version.
Comments and crits are most welcome, this is the first time making a helmet this way for me and is a learning proccess all the way, though I have made a few other prototype props in particualr an alien versus predator cannon using card before molding.
Thank for looking