Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Feb 5, 2010, 3:03 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #101

Thanks...huge help!
    May 23, 2010, 1:19 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #102

I'm about to start on painting my ROTJ Fett helmet, and will definitely be using the ideas in this post as resource material. Thanks for suppling the information, it'll be a great help!
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Aug 23, 2010, 11:24 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #103

To anyone who has painted their own, do you have an estimate of how much all the paint and materials cost? As a not-so-great painter i assume it would be in my best interest to get someone else to paint one for me?
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2010, 11:31 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #104

For all the armor and helmet? Figure 5 dollars a can of paint...depends on brand and location. I use about 2 cans of Huntclub, 1 can of the bauhaus yellow, 2 cans of silver, 2 cans of primer, dullcoat maybe 2 cans, flat black 2 cans, claretwhine one can, royal blue i think one can, flat white one can, thats just armor and jetpack add another can of everthing besides yellow and add moss green, for ROTJ, sandpapers towels masking fluid or toothepaste and then ull want some other things like brushes and what not for the masking fluid, space to paint and all. I may have left out some things at least 11-15 cans of paint, if your doing a helmet also then add depending on helmet style add 5 or so more cans so 20 cans at 5 a peice thats about 100 bucks or so plus sandpapers and other stuff masking fluid about 15 bucks for good stuff....so maybe 150 in all for all the stuff ull want to have
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Aug 23, 2010, 11:41 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #105

ok, so basically a nice quality paint job runs about twice what all the materials cost for labor, i imagine it takes forever to do one of these up right. $300+ seemed a bit steep for a paint job but after totaling materials and considering the quality with which i could do one myself, it seems to make sense.

so on average $250 helmet + $350 paint job = $500 total?
  6. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2010, 2:15 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #106

yeh well with airbrushing the guys who do the commisions are laying down different paints, mixing colors, taking alot of time to mask stuff...this doesnt happen in a day, many hours of painstaking work is put it. It took me the better part of two weeks to paint my armor, a week to paint a helmet, and I work fast and wasnt at my job as I was on vacation getting ready for CV, wife was aggrivated with me spending HOURS AND HOURS in the garage. Your math is 100 off BTW, 250+350=600...Thats what I would charge for a ROTJ paintjob about another 100 for ESB being theres alot more going on with layers of paint in the red and back areas, and ears...and fading of kill stripes. If u have some painting skills its great to paint yourself but if u dont the options are out there to have it done, and alot of skilled people to do it.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Aug 23, 2010, 8:24 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #107

Does anyone know where to find the Valaspar Gloss Mustard Seed spray, I went to lowes and walmart and was able to get every color except for the mustard seed, cant find it anywhere for sale online.
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Aug 24, 2010, 8:44 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #108

Have found valspar at lowes only...never used the mustard but UP Armor yellow in the bottle works brushed on
    Sep 7, 2010, 3:03 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #109

great pics and great info thanks
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Sep 7, 2010, 6:33 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #110

some of its a little out of date being its two years old some are not even made anymore just so people are aware
    Oct 5, 2010, 4:41 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #111

Very useful thread, thanks for posting!
    Oct 5, 2010, 7:45 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #112

This newbie sure appreciates the listing...you can bet I'll be coming back here a LOT over the coming weeks as I study the paint schemes.
    Feb 23, 2011, 3:32 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #113

Just strted painting an ESB, using the suggested colors. Found everything but the merlot and the mustard for the killstripes. But my question, anyone have ideas for the gray above the silver in spray paint? Trying for the true layered look.
    Mar 9, 2011, 12:31 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #114

Quote llogwalker said: View Post
    Just strted painting an ESB, using the suggested colors. Found everything but the merlot and the mustard for the killstripes. But my question, anyone have ideas for the gray above the silver in spray paint? Trying for the true layered look.
    You can try Model Master Panzer Gray. It kind of has that Lark Dark Gray look in a spray version.
    Mar 11, 2011, 8:10 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #115

Anyone know what a good sub for the Valspar Merlot would be? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I can get most all the other colors including Polly Scale at my local Hobbyland.

Also, I know it was reported in 2006 earlier in this thread that the American Accent line had been discontinued, but I was at my Hobby Lobby tonight and they had a lot of it! Were there some colors that had to be dropped off the list because of it once being discontinued?
    Mar 11, 2011, 9:17 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #116

You may have to get Lowe's to special order it. The Valspar Flat Merlot's product number is 65013. The Gloss Mustard Seed's product number is 65095. I just checked the valsparspray.com website and they are both listed as colors that are still in production. The Lowe's where I live quit carrying those specific colors because they didn't sell well. I guess there aren't enough Fett painters in the southeastern Kentucky area. Valspar also has a Satin Wine Red that is very close to the Flat Merlot. You would just have to hit it with a shot of Dullcote when you get done.
    Mar 12, 2011, 12:46 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #117

Thanks AFFO$! Any chance the Rustoleum Satin Cabernet (I think that is what I saw) would be a decent match? Believe me I have already tried the special order route with some paint I wanted for my TK bucket and they told me I would have to order an entire case of 6 cans! They won't order a case and let me buy one or two. What a crock!
    Mar 12, 2011, 9:32 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #118

I haven't seen that color so it would be remiss for me to venture a guess. I used to use Krylon Burgundy Satin before I found the Merlot. You can find the Krylon Burgundy Satin at Walmart. I would usually give it a light misting of brown and then hit it with Testors Dullcote.
    Apr 24, 2011, 8:23 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #119

Here is an interesting update... Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I went to Lowe's today and was looking at the Valspar paints. I was having trouble finding the Wine Red and was asking a sales person about it. He said he thought that the name had been changed. Long story short, I found one can of the wine red in with the Royal Garnet. He pointed out to me that it was in fact the same paint, just a different name. The Royal Garnet is the same item number and UPC number as the former Wine Red!! Wonder if the Mustard seed is just hiding out there under a different name? I will have to check next time I go.

Also, quick question, I got some of the PRR Maroon for the weathering on the ESB helmet. Can I assume since it is an acrylic, it will dry a little darker and show up well? Right now it looks pretty close to the cap color of the Valspar Wine Red.
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 24, 2011, 10:19 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #120

Its not that bauhaus gold at walmart by krylon is an EXACT match to up armor yellow...also claret whine from rusto works
    May 6, 2011, 8:35 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #121

Got a can of the Krylon Camo Khaki to use for the undercoat on a Trooper helmet and it looks way darker when sprayed on. I expected a tan color like the cap, but this is a dark tan / grey / brown look. Wonder if the can had the wrong paint in it?!
  22. Sep 1, 2011, 11:08 AM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #122

Is there any difference between the original ESB helmet and the ROTJ SE helmet? I'm working on the SE costume, so I don't want to start buying all kinds of paints if they turn out to be the wrong ones... Can I just start looking for the colours listed under ESB or is there something else I should know about?
    Thanks for posting the lists, btw! It really helps us noobs!
    Sep 1, 2011, 12:51 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #123

Quote xxDreamWalker said: View Post
    Is there any difference between the original ESB helmet and the ROTJ SE helmet? I'm working on the SE costume, so I don't want to start buying all kinds of paints if they turn out to be the wrong ones... Can I just start looking for the colours listed under ESB or is there something else I should know about?
    Thanks for posting the lists, btw! It really helps us noobs!
    The ROTJ SE has the ESB Hero helmet and almost the ROTJ suit (not the whole original ROTJ suit).
  24. Sep 1, 2011, 3:27 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #124

Ah, thanks for sorting that out. But is it the same colour scheme on the two? I've already seen some of the differences on the suit, so it's the helmet I'm worried about.
  25. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Sep 1, 2011, 3:46 PM - Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED #125

On the two helmets? Its the same helmet on the ROTJ SE and ESB Hero helmet....not a repainted helmet but the actual helmet used in ESB