Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED

From
    Glen Burnie, MD

Re: AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED

Hey all,
    New guy here.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the American accents Antque Blue? been everywhere near me and no one sells it. Also been on the Rustoleum site and they don't list it as one of their colors.
    OR, can anyone sugjest and equivalent color and brand. Looking for the colors for the back of the helmet (ROTJ).
    Any help will be really appreciated,
    Thanks
    Dragon

From
    Silicon Valley

WannaBeBoba said:
    RatFett... that's interesting. My Wal-Mart had the Spruce Green, Hunter Green, Burgandy Satin there...
    Well you got the East Bay covered.
    I was referring to the Milpitas WM which is by my work. I can still hit my SJ one and the Mt. View one. If you found them there, I might still be in luck.

FYI, I'm doing the RoTJ bucket so I don't need either of those greens.

From
    East Bay Area, California

Oh jeez... that's a lot of stores to hit. I wish you luck and I hope you are able to find the colors you need!

From
    Glen Burnie, MD

Hey again,
    Just read acouple of the lastest replies.
    here are my search results:
    Lowes; Rustoleum spruce Green, Flat black,
    Wal mart; Krylon Burgandy satin,Krylon Hunter Green satin
    Hobbytown USA; Pollyscale colors

Hope it helps
    Dragon

From
    Corbin, Ky

Rat_Fett said:
    Hey FettFull
    What's your secret misting techinque? When I used to do this with model kits it would wind up as tiny "speckles" of paint, is that correct or is there a better way or attachment used?
    I mist over the base color while it is still wet. That minimizes the speckles in the blue/green mix. There will be some 'speckles' but this is usually only with the Dark Grey Primer and it ends up looking like grime on the bucket.

If you are having trouble finding the American Accents 'Antique Blue' any Dark Blue spray paint, such as 'Navy' will do. You can then adjust the darkness of the back with your Med. and Light grey primer mistings during the final weathering stage.
    Last edited by AFettFullofDollars; Mar 14, 2006 at 6:48 PM.

From
    Silicon Valley

AFettFullofDollars said:
    I mist over the base color while it is still wet. That minimizes the speckles in the blue/green mix. There will be some 'speckles' but this is usually only with the Dark Grey Primer and it ends up looking like grime on the bucket.
    Ok, if I understand this correctly the misting technique is meant to appear more as "grime/dirt" specks, than a soft blend of color. Thanks!

Ok, so I went out and got most of the paints, and started with the base coat.
    Being a complete noob with this, I purchased foolishly purchased one of the fiberglass buckets off eBay. Not a great helmet, but it'll do....hopefully.

Anyways, I started with the a base coat of Testors Chrome, and it appears that I went on a bit to thick, as there are some drip marks. Since this is an undercoat, can I just leave this? Or is it best to sand this completely off and try again? At this point, that wouldn't be the end of the world, but I would hate to get several colors down and have to start over.

Also, is it ok to spray some paint in a little cup and brush on some spots that I msised, or should I just spray more on?

Thanks a lot in advance.

From
    Corbin, Ky

I would sand down any drips in the paint and paint over it. Remember, paint several THIN coats. I would also dullcote the 'chrome' spraypaint before you put your next coat on. And yeah, it's okay to spray some in a cup for touch up purposes. I do that all the time.

Excellent.....Thanks for the speedy reply. One other question....what grade sandpaper would be good for paint drips?

From
    Corbin, Ky

I would use at least a 500-600 grit sand paper. Something that won't leave big scratches in the paint because they will definitely show through the next layer of paint. Also, since you are painting the silver layer first, I assume you are going to paint this using the layering method. One thing you have to watch out for is the subsequent layers of paint sticking to your masking tape when you mask off the different areas for painting. I've found that the top layers of paint don't like to stick to the silver undercoat no matter how long you let them cure. Even the blue 'low tac' masking tape will still pull the paint off. What I had to do with the masking tape was stick it to the palm of my hand several times as well as to the comforter on my bed to really, really reduce the stickiness.

2 questions.

where do you guys go to buy masking fluid? I've had to buy mine on the internet.

and AFFO$: do you just spray from the can or do you use a seperate sprayer?

From
    Corbin, Ky

I spray directly from the can.

From
    Newport News, VA

Fett prop artist said:
    where do you guys go to buy masking fluid? I've had to buy mine on the internet.
    I got some at Michael's. I think that's a fairly big chain, isn't it? Any 'art supply' type store should sell it. Maybe Ben Franklin? Or Hobby Lobby?

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

superjedi said:
    I got some at Michael's. I think that's a fairly big chain, isn't it? Any 'art supply' type store should sell it. Maybe Ben Franklin? Or Hobby Lobby?
    I can confirm Hobby Lobby. I got some from there on Saturday.

From
    Silicon Valley

Here's an update for those trying to find some of the paints listed.

Thanks to AFFO$'s detailed list of paints I was able to finally score all but one of the RoTJ paints listed. They were all found at Walmart as the ColoPlace brand is theirs. Don't be swayed by the shelf labels, the accurate color is on a small sticker on the can. The "Green Gloss" is actually the correct "Kelly Green."

On the downside the "American Accent" line from Rustoleum has been discontinued. My Walmart had a side aisle with closed out paints, there were a few of this line but none of the "Antique Blue" i needed. I've hit a few other stores with no luck. If anyone on the West Coast had any luck finding this line, please let me know where, or if anyone has an alternative brand of this blue, please post it.

*UPDATE: Well I checked the Rustoleum website and "Antique Blue" is not a color available in the American Accent line. If it's possible to get the number type listed on the can, maybe they've changed the name.

*UPDATE 2: It's been confirmed from an email I recieved from Rustoleum themselves that Antique Blue has been discontinued with no replacement color.
    Last edited by Rat_Fett; Mar 23, 2006 at 9:03 PM.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Thanks AFFO$, great stuff.

From
    Pennsylvania

Awesome thread... I'm surprised that its not stickied.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

"bumperoo" for AFFO$.

I believe this should be made a sticky.

From
    somewhere between raising hell and Amazing Grace

Here here...a sticky this should be!

-rocky b

From
    Fairbanks, Alaska

yes, sticky!

From
    Milwaukee Wisconsin

I just want to say thank you for researching and making this thread. I definitly agree it should be sticky. I just got back from Wal-Mart with my 20 dollars of spray paint and now I'll be ready to go once my helmet comes in the mail. Thanks again!

Forcebewitya.

From
    Huntsville

How do you add the scratches and make it look beat up without making it look like ****?

From
    Corbin, Ky

I would suggest drawing the scratches onto the helmet in pencil and then filling in with the appropriate paint color. That way you will have greater control over the size, spacing, and shape of the scuffs, scratches and dings. Use a pencil, that way if you mess up all you have to do is erase and start over.

From
    Huntsville

Ok, I gave into pressure and started working on a ROTJ boba fett costume, and started with the bucket. Here is what the Helmet looks like using the paint scheme in this thread before weathering.

BTW; this is a DP 97 that I heated and molded into what you see here. I dont have pictures of what it looked like when I got it because I was in a hurry to justify my purchase.

Before

After

From
    Corbin, Ky

You might want to hit the upper cheeks with some more black misting to kinda tone down the blue. Lookin' good so far.