Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 10, 2015, 10:07 AM - Advice and tips on my helmet #1

Hello. This is my second try to make something out of pepakura. My first project ended unfinished, but what the heck I wanted to try it once again. So Iīve decide to make a Boba Fett- like helmet and then maybe the whole armour. I know Iīve made some mistakes, I cut some places where I was not supposed and so on.;D But my question is, what about a visor? When I was checking all your projects and threads all of you work with the visor on. I mean you make the paper part, you resin it, fiberglass it, bondo it, and then cut it off in the end phase. However, living in the apartment building I have very limited access to DIY stuffs, so I donīt think cutting it off at last is an option for me. So what would you recommend?
    Unfortunately I have used kind of thin paper, so now without the visor, the whole thing is deforming and I needed to secure it with paper clips. So basically my question is, how to continue? Finish the helmet without a visor and just temporarily strengthen the weak part with pieces of cardboard or something, and then resin it to prevent any other bending? Or any other ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	84802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	84803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	84804  

Last edited by Baranica; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM.
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 10, 2015, 7:27 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #2

Quote Baranica said: View Post
    -snip-
    Heya, as someone who also lives in an apartment and also building his first helmet I hope I can be of assistance, if the pros show up listen to them rather than me as I have little experience, but for starters I always read you can't make pep with print paper or paper as thin as what you are using I think, you need card stock, as I don't think the thin paper actually survives the whole process but don't quote me on that... just something I read a lot

as for the visor its better to keep it in till the end as it helps with the helmets integrity, but it should be safe to cut it out after fiber glassing it, in your case you might want to consider starting over with card stock or if your set on continuing, see if you can connect areas with some paper to reinforce it and see if you can keep it from further deforming
  3. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 10, 2015, 10:07 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #3

Actually, I have read different thing, maybe I was just reading only the bunch of nonsense or something, but somewhere I found that actually the type of paper doesnīt matter as it will be hardened with a resin. ;D Itīs not the classical 80g office paper, itīs something more thicker, but unfortunately more fragile than I would like to. So I was thinking just to use cardboard on the worst parts to give it some support. And if it doesnīt work, the only option will be to begin from a scratch again ;D Well we are learning from own mistakes, I suppose. But itīs a good point to have a visor and remove it right before bondo. Probably it wonīt be that difficult to cut it off.
    I will try it in a few days, and see what happens. Thank you very much for your advice I will probably screw it up ;D
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 11, 2015, 4:40 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #4

Also chiming in here as someone who is NOT an expert, but my understanding is that using anything less than card stock or poster board will warp when applying resin. Your mileage may vary. Either way, let us know how it goes!
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 11, 2015, 7:00 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #5

Here's what I learned:

• You definitely want to use card stock, at 110 lb. I found it easier to glue with superglue than hot glue.
    • Glue all the parts of the pep (i.e., don't leave the visor out) as you need them for shape / structural integrity.
    • Once everything is glued together, apply a coat of polyester resin (no fiberglass matt) to the inside and out. Wait for it to fully cure.
    • Fix any deformations by heating the area with a hair dryer and reshaping.
    • Once the shape is good, strengthen the inside with fiberglass resin & matt, urethane resin (think liquid plastic), or rondo (resin mixed with bondo).
    • Once the inside has cured, knock down the high points of the paper (on the outside) with a file or rasp.
    • Once the high points are knocked down, apply thin coats of bondo to the low points, a small section of the time.
    • While the bondo is "rubbery, " you can shape it / smooth it a little with a razor blade.
    • Once it has cured, sand until smooth and add more bondo as necessary. Move on to other areas and rinse and repeat. You can check your progress by spraying the helmet with grey primer as it will show all the imperfections.

Most of all, have patience, take your time, and have fun.
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 12, 2015, 11:22 AM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #6

Queso has the process down pat for sure. My only suggestion would be to do a coat (or two) of rondo on the inside prior to fiberglass/resin combo. This will round off the inside sharp corners and provide a better surface for the fiberglass/resin to stick to.
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 13, 2015, 8:40 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #7

Yea, definitely listen to Queso, he sure helps me out nicely I find the filing the high points down is pretty important, its something I struggled with cause I didn't do that and seeing how you also are usin fierfeks pep file youll most likely have troubles with those.

As for the paper, I think its most important to use the thicker one, cause the thin will 'apparently' don't quote me on that deform really easily, mine didn't when I resinned it.
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 13, 2015, 10:05 PM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #8

If you haven't already read the posts in the scratch building threads, I highly recommend you do so. Also, check out Cereal Killer's YouTube channel. He's building Halo, but you can learn a lot from him.
  9. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    11 Hours Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 8:10 AM - Re: Advice and tips on my helmet #9

thanks guys for all of your advice. I decided to rebuild it from the cardboard and the result is awesome. Itīs solid and in comparison with the old one from office paper it looks like a masterwork ;D Today or maybe in the next week Iīm going to apply first layer of a resin. Hope itīll work.