Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Oct 11, 2011, 2:53 AM - 'Adjusting' fiberglass help please #1

G'day all,

I have started to make a Pep Boba helm - great stuff by the way gang!
    It went together very nicely, i coated it a few times with resin, but i didnt put any fiberglass matting in it. I got excited and started to bog the top of it (sorry, Bondo or Automotive filler to you guys, its 'bog' to an Aussie). Thats all going along nicely too (easy stuff to work with).
    My problem is - when i applied the the fiberglass resin, the helm was not held in shape properly. My fault, its a first attempt. The helm is now wider than it is from front to back.
    The question is - can resin be heated up and shaped slightly? Or 'bent' to shape it better?
    It only needs the sides pulled in a little to push the face further out, but before i stick it in the oven for 15 min, i thought i would ask if it will work before i destroy what i have already done.
    Either way this bucket is a small fit and will most likely be a display, so no loss either way.

Cheers
    Ralphee
  2. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Oct 11, 2011, 3:42 AM - Re: 'Adjusting' fiberglass help please #2

Well first off dont put it in the oven, use a heat gun , and if you dont have one , a hair dryer will suffice,, see how that goes but if it doesnt work , Id say dont put to much time in to it, and start again,,

good luck
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Oct 12, 2011, 2:12 AM - Re: 'Adjusting' fiberglass help please #3

Thanks BGHunter,
    I think its a bit small, so its a 'trail run' anyway. Good practice for painting etc
    It would be nice if it could fit someone though, a freinds kid might like it.