I had fun painting this helmet, accuracy is slightly off but it was an experiment in technique and colour. I've tried to list the process as logically as i can...
Layered ROTJ Helmet no.1
1:1 paint to thinners
1. Add surface scrathes with dremmel /SP pencil
2.spray entire helmet with silver no. 11 approx 1.5-2 tins
3.leave at least 24 hrs to cure
4.lightly buff entire helmet with 0000 wire wool then dust off surface
5.masking tape entire helmet leaving mandibles and trim exposed
6.liquid mask bright silver damage on mandibles and trim
7.mist black 33 onto mandibles and trim as per reference pics. leave L/H lower mandible
8. mist 72 up lower L/H mandible. Seal with Satin cote on misted areas x 2 coats
9.liquid mask misted areas on mandible and trim as per reference
10.spray red 73 approx. 0.5 tin
11. 2 coats of gloss onto the red
12. leave at least 24 hrs
13. masking tape entire helmet except upper/lower cheeks
14. liquid mask bright silver damage
15.mist black 33 onto upper/lower cheeks
16.seal with satin cotex2 coats
17 leave at least 24 hrs
18.liquid mask misted silver damage on upper lower cheeks
19.spray black 33 onto upper cheeks, do not mask off lower cheeks!
20.masking tape upper cheeks. Liquid mask curve between upper/lower cheeks and darker areas of overspray on lower cheeks.
21. liquid mask misted silver damage on dome.
22. spray dome and cheeks with 2 layers of green 78
23. liquid mask light green areas on dome and lower cheeks, spray green 86 x 1 mist coat then a splatter coat with badly adjusted airbrush
24. leave 24 hrs remove all masking, then a good going over with 0000 wire wool on painted areas, start to add fine scratches with compass point and SP pencil
25. Liquid mask bright silver damage on rear panels and key slots, masking tape off the rest of the helmet
26. Mist coat grey 79 then shaded with black 33, then a fine splatter of 33 onto back panels and key slots
27. 2-3 coats of satin cote on back panels and key slots
28. liquid mask misted areas on panels and key slot as per ref. pics.
29. mask key slot area
30. green 131+ green 76 (1:1) on back panels
31. mask helmet leaving ears, mist black 33 then mist brown 62, then darken again with black 33 mist
32. use fine and medium wire wool, scratch and buff in details.
33. remove all mask from helmet
34. liquid mask bright silver damage detail in middle of back r/h panel
35. mist grey 79 very lightly all over helmet to reduce contrast especially on r/h back panel
36. lightly mist black 33 over helmet to further reduce contrast in certain areas
37. mask kill stripes using combination of liquid and masking tape, spray with orange 82 then gloss
38. add scratches with SP pencil and compass point, also triangular needle file removes larger chips of paint quite nicely.
39. Mist grey 79 and black 33 very fine detail as per reference pics.
40. seal entire helmet with 2 good coats of satin coat