Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10/5 WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - Done & DONE!

10/5 WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - Done & DONE!

Hey guys!

Got the back panels done (not screen accurate I know but i was going cross-eyed on those stencils) still needs tons of weathering - the problem is I used Raf's templates and didn't note until reading further (a little late) about misting the gray as noted by Fett4Real - my question is there a way to mist over the gray somewhat without ruining the back panels? I should have known after seeing so many threads but totally screwed this one up

Last edited by kevnaminute; Oct 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM.

From
    Corbin, Ky

Re: WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - and a dilemma

Actually, the misting overspray bleeds out onto the green parts of the back panels. If you look at the screen used helmet it has tons of overspray all over it. I would just start by lightly misting, then check my reference pics. Then add more if need be.

Thanks! Mist with gray first?

From
    Corbin, Ky

Yeah, that's what I use. A Medium grey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotj-back-left-complete-jpg   rotj-right-back-complete-jpg  
    Last edited by AFettFullofDollars; Sep 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM.

See what you're talking about - thanks for the help

From
    Corbin, Ky

Oh, and that is looking KILLER so far! Well done!

Really appreciate that! First time painter!

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Yeh it doesnt look bad...some light gray over it strategically and you'll be fine.

Thanks Dom

From
    Galati, Romania

You did a great job so far with those back panels! I have plans to redo the ROTJ helmet stencils to add the misted colors too (as I did with the Pre-Pro #2 too), but until then use the advices provided by the paint masters.

Thanks Raf! Your stencils are awesome by the way. Never knew there was that much detail in Fett until I started research. Thanks again for those!

From
    Galati, Romania

kevnaminute said: View Post
    Thanks Raf! Your stencils are awesome by the way. Never knew there was that much detail in Fett until I started research. Thanks again for those!
    You are more than welcome! And thanks for the nice words!

As far as overspray goes - is there an easier way to do it with a rattlecan? With a little control vs. standing back and spraying?

Re: WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - new question

Another Q: I'm using STG's rattlecans for this - the gray is primer gray by Rustoleum. Should I actually go a darker gray for the overspray so the gray damaged details would stand out more? Thanks all!

From
    USAF Utah

Thats what I used on my OG ROTJ...i reccomend using Moss Green not sage green for the Dome and cheeks though....its a better color to start off with

Dom, is there a way to spray the overspray without washing out the details on the back similar to what's on FettFullofDollars' lid?

From
    USAF Utah

What you said about standing back...you can also stand back and kind mask with a piece of cardboard in between the lid and the can like 6-10 inches from the can maybe a little more....and holding the can say 20 inches away? Try it out on some scrap cardboard or seomthing....youll see what I mean...

From
    Ferndale, MI

...great work soo far..
    Last edited by MrDickJones; May 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM.

Thanks guys - I tried the method Dom suggested with rather mixed results - looks ok but not entirely what I would like - I'm satisfied though and moved onto the dome ( and I thought the back panels were detailed!)

Also for detail work and spot painting what would everyone suggest? I want some colors hat match the spray paint colors I've selected.

Thanks again for your assistance

Re: UPDATE WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - this doesn't look right

This is moss green - is that the right color? Looks to light - maybe that's just me

From
    Galati, Romania

The color is good! It also depends the red how dark will be next to the dome/cheek color; a lighter red will 'darken' while a dark red will 'lighten' the base green. So, choose your red wisely!

From
    Corbin, Ky

That's looking really good so far. And I know what you mean, Kevnaminute. I've always found the Moss Green to be a little too light for the base green of the RotJ helmet. Plus it has a little too much of a blue hue to it. I use Krylon Italian Olive on my RotJ helmets. It's darker without the blue base and will then lighten up when you add the light grey oversprays. But, without knowing the 'exact' color used on the RotJ filming helmet, it's all a matter of opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotj-left-front-complete-jpg  

Thanks guys. Certainly appreciate it. Also, I know with the weathering I have to do to finish this off, will that also have an affect on the color of the green somewhat? For example, if I use Deadland's blackwash technique will that alter the color more towards the dark nature of the actual Fett helmet?

As for the red (thanks for the tip Raf) I'm going to plan on using the Rusto claret wine satin using STG's guide for a flat black base. If anyone has any experience with that or thinks of something I should or should not do - please chime in!

Thanks for your help, as always.

Also, here is another side view of the helmet - sorry for the bad pictures but they were taken last night via ipad

Re: UPDATE WIP: ROTJ Fettpride - Mandible frustrations

Generally happy with the color but I had all type of problems with the flat black - came out like a powder and while I tried to clean up before repainting I think some if it was trapped beneath the new layers and refuses to dry - note left mandible in particular - I never set out to recreate the perfect ROTJ lid but I'm unsure about hat damage on the left side (guess I could call it my mandible cat scratch!) I respect everyone's opinion on how this looks