Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 6, 2010, 6:42 PM - Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #1

I had made a Stormtrooper Star Wars shirt in Inkscape and was wondering if would I be able to sell it or am i just out of luck? I know ppl sell and make stuff here? so if i can't sell that then whats the difference? I included the picture of my design.

2. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jun 6, 2010, 6:48 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #2

looks cool I designed a Boba one similar to this...dont know how hard it would be to have done though as far as printing.
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 6, 2010, 6:54 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #3

I am working on a few others like the Leia one below. Lots of fun ideas

Jun 6, 2010, 9:58 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #4

Quote polardude1983 said: View Post
    I had made a Stormtrooper Star Wars shirt in Inkscape and was wondering if would I be able to sell it or am i just out of luck? I know ppl sell and make stuff here? so if i can't sell that then whats the difference? I included the picture of my design.

DUDE!!! HOW MUCH!!! I WANT 2!!!!!
    Jun 6, 2010, 10:20 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #5

Be very careful how you distribute these. Minus proper licensing, Uncle George's legal team can be very nasty.
  6. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jun 6, 2010, 10:45 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #6

this is true...need to not call it anything but a sweet design shirt
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 7, 2010, 11:57 AM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #7

Quote dsonik1 said: View Post
    Be very careful how you distribute these. Minus proper licensing, Uncle George's legal team can be very nasty.
    See thats the thing. Is I don't get the difference on how people can make and sell star wars stuff on ebay, or here. And how people can sell star wars shirts like these on this site. http://www.spreadshirt.com/star+wars

Whats the difference?
    Jun 7, 2010, 1:03 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #8

EVERYTHING not licensed by George is technically illegal. Copyright infringement. If you sell it, he CAN come down on you. But it doesn't happen much, unless you start producing these things like crazy, and you're making a ton of money. If it's just a little side thing, sell a dozen ot 2 shirts, you should be fine. It's always a fine line to walk.
    Jun 7, 2010, 2:05 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #9

My take is, you gotta think like a drug dealer . . . get your product to the customer, advertise by word of mouth, stay off the radar.
    Jun 7, 2010, 5:13 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #10

Um...I really hate to bring this up...But does any of the Lucasfilm lawyers scan & read this forum?
    Jun 8, 2010, 9:35 AM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #11

Quote Hakaider said: View Post
    Um...I really hate to bring this up...But does any of the Lucasfilm lawyers scan & read this forum?
    There's no reason they couldn't. You don't need an account to read posts here.

I would strongly urge you to be cautious when discussing making unlicensed Star Wars merchandise and selling it.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 8, 2010, 12:16 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #12

So when also people sell stuff on here, they are also walking a thin line?
    Jun 8, 2010, 3:14 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #13

Or . . . you could play it the OTHER way. I've thought about selling stuff openly, to get the legal's attention, while I put the word out that I WANT a licensing agreement but have no idea who to contact. Why fight the Man when you can play for the same team?
    I'm not advising anyone to do that . . . just throwing an idea out there.
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Jun 8, 2010, 3:28 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #14

Providing the merchandise is original artwork and does not use any protected media such as trademarked or other copyrightable material you can sell what you like.
    Jun 9, 2010, 11:42 AM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #15

Quote polardude1983 said: View Post
    So when also people sell stuff on here, they are also walking a thin line?
    Technically and if LFL wants to be difficult about things? Yes.

I think the difference with most shirt runs you'd typically see sold on forums such as this is that they're done at cost and not for a profit. I'm assuming the sales you're talking about are for profit which would be where you could run into legal troubles depending on how you handled yourself.

Again, I'm no legal expert, just giving my opinions and advice that I hope helps. PM Art directly if you're concerned, he might have better advice for you.
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 9, 2010, 12:34 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #16

No it would be at cost. no profit
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Jun 9, 2010, 4:25 PM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #17

It's got nothing to do with profit or not for profit. It's about infringing someone elses intellectual property rights.
    Jun 14, 2010, 12:28 AM - Re: Wondering If i can sell star wars shirts online? #18

Quote SerpentKing said: View Post
    My take is, you gotta think like a drug dealer . . . get your product to the customer, advertise by word of mouth, stay off the radar.

LOL... That's real experience talking!
    Last edited by jarodpenn; Jun 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM.