Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ?Subscribe
  1. DarthMater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    118
    Sep 7, 2011, 11:48 PM - Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #1

    I searched and have found no answers to this question. I even did a search and couldn't find a thread posted about this so here goes my question. I figured this should be the best place to find the answer I'm looking for.

    In Return of The Jedi there is a scene in Jabba's palace where Boba Fett is shown drawing his blaster. I never paid much attention to it even though I've probably watched this movie a thousand times until one day for whatever reason I paused it right there. When I came back to resume the movie I noticed that not only was Boba's range finder on the wrong side but that the whole image of him had been flipped. At first I thought I had discovered something remarkable until searching the web and finding a lot of goof ups in the movie but I could find no answer to why this was done. So does anyone in this community of TDH know why this was done. Just wondering.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. The Dent Scott Kaufmann's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,391
    Sep 8, 2011, 12:14 AM - #2

    The frame was flipped to match Boba's position during the scene.
  4. jrsjr81's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32
    Jan 21, 2016, 1:21 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #3

    Quote DarthMater said: View Post
    I searched and have found no answers to this question. I even did a search and couldn't find a thread posted about this so here goes my question. I figured this should be the best place to find the answer I'm looking for.

    In Return of The Jedi there is a scene in Jabba's palace where Boba Fett is shown drawing his blaster. I never paid much attention to it even though I've probably watched this movie a thousand times until one day for whatever reason I paused it right there. When I came back to resume the movie I noticed that not only was Boba's range finder on the wrong side but that the whole image of him had been flipped. At first I thought I had discovered something remarkable until searching the web and finding a lot of goof ups in the movie but I could find no answer to why this was done. So does anyone in this community of TDH know why this was done. Just wondering.
    That flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ bugs me! It's just not right!
  5. Darth Voorhees's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,308
    Jan 21, 2016, 2:55 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #4

    Continuity is why they did it, like Scott said above. They did this alot in all of the SW films. Theres a few in ESB of vader like that, amongst other things. It was a fairly common thing to do back then to avoid reshooting a scene.
  6. Jesuit24's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    338
    Jan 21, 2016, 5:20 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #5

    Because of the angles and the 180 degree rule. After the SE extra scenes showed Boba move position, he had to be looking and pointing the blaster in the implied direction of Leia. I don't think it was expected to be noticed back then.
  7. Bounty1138's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    553
    Jan 21, 2016, 5:34 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #6

    They can make Greedo shoot first, add a different musical number in RoTJ, add ships to battles and add aliens to scenes, but they couldn't flip Boba the right way.
  8. Darth Voorhees's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,308
    Jan 21, 2016, 6:39 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #7

    Quote Bounty1138 said: View Post
    They can make Greedo shoot first, add a different musical number in RoTJ, add ships to battles and add aliens to scenes, but they couldn't flip Boba the right way.
    lol well if they did, then he would be pointing his blaster in the wrong direction. It would be WAY too much work to "fix" that and have him pointing the blaster in the correct direction. it would be cheaper to reshoot the scene at that point.
  9. drokkul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Jan 21, 2016, 7:46 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #8

    These type of image flips happen a lot in films to correct actor position when a film is being edited. Once they get to this process its too costly to re-shoot scenes just to fix something fairly minor. Most times the viewer will not notice it unless there is something that makes it stand out such as some type of asymmetry like the rangefinder on one side and even then most viewers still won't process it.

    The last one that I noticed that was glaringly wrong was Iron Man 3. Right after Rhodey and Tony meet up and Rhodey finds out that the "Mandarin" is just an actor There is an almost back to back scene where they flip the image and its very obvious due the wounds by Tony's eye.

    These are some images I googled that show the flip flopped eye wound although only one of these is from that scene. (Couldn't find my disc to rip pics from lol)

    iron2-jpg

    In all the scenes the wound is by the left eye except for this one...

    iron1-jpg

    And if you rewind and watch this scene you can see it was done to correct actor position because if the image wasn't flipped Tony would be on the left and that would be completely wrong for his movement from the previous frames.

    As with Boba I also never really noticed until I started working on building mine after finding TDH. It became burned in that the rangefinder is on the left and upon reviewing the movie it then stuck out like a sore thumb to me. However someone who watches that doesn't really care about Boba (BLASPHEMY!) will probably never notice!
  10. Mullreel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,752
    Jan 21, 2016, 10:07 PM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #9

    Lando gets flipped back and forth several time in both ESB and in ROTJ. If you watch the scene in the hanger when he is about to take the falcon, his holster keeps changing sides.
  11. Jan 22, 2016, 3:15 AM - Re: Why the flipped image of Boba Fett in ROTJ? #10

    Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    Lando gets flipped back and forth several time in both ESB and in ROTJ. If you watch the scene in the hanger when he is about to take the falcon, his holster keeps changing sides.
    Yeah I always found the Lando sash flip funny and annoying in JEDI

Similar Threads

  1. Pre-Pro Fett image request
    By SEEKER in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 14, 2011, 4:42 PM
  2. just a random boba helmet image
    By Ogunn in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2011, 4:15 PM
  3. ROTJ Boba Fett
    By WetOkole in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 2, 2010, 7:49 PM
  4. New boba image on top
    By 99centTaco in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul 21, 2009, 10:45 AM
  5. Question: Which Fett for me? **image heavy**
    By GreenGriffon in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Oct 30, 2008, 8:32 PM