Subscribe
  1. Lordsurge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    78
    Dec 7, 2008, 2:42 AM - Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #1

    I was just thinking there (Its hurt) Why is Clone Trooper armour just like mando armour. I know that they were clones of Jango, and he was a bounty hunter before he was cloned. But were they like "Hey look his armour is good and strong lets copy that to" Any one help me on this?
  2. OrtharRrith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    687
    Dec 7, 2008, 4:49 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #2

    The Visual Dictionary states that Jango had a hand in designing the armour and based it upon that he knew, his own Mando armour. Hence the T visor.
  3. Lordsurge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    78
    Dec 7, 2008, 6:11 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #3

    Ah right. Thats good to know thanks.
  4. jodo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,207
    Dec 7, 2008, 9:11 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #4

    And then the empire messes with it. Because you know, nothing says best gear ever like a 10% feild of vision.
  5. FoxPrimus101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    56
    Dec 7, 2008, 10:50 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #5

    Quote jodo said: View Post
    And then the empire messes with it. Because you know, nothing says best gear ever like a 10% feild of vision.
    It's not so much unsafe as it seems. The T-visor's designed to prevent spears, swords, other blunt objects and light sabre's from damaging the wearers face in battle.

    The thing I don't understand is why everyone puts dent and cuts in there helmets and armor when there supposed to be made out of "Mandalorian Iron" wich is said to be impenetrable by any brute force after being casted and even light sabre proof! lol I guess Boba lost his dads helmet and made his own with cheaper materials. Caugh"scrathc built"
  6. OrtharRrith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    687
    Dec 7, 2008, 11:06 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #6

    Boba's armour is described as Dura-steel, Mando iron was supposed to be rare for a while hence some Mando armour denting. As to the protection value of going from a T visor to the "eyes" of a Stormtrooper helmet, seems to me if you can see better due to having a T (which we all know you can) then it solves any potential problems from lightsabers or Ewok spears in the eyes, as you'd actually be able to see enough to avoid walking into them!
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Dec 7, 2008, 11:11 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #7

    Boba didn't wear Beskar (Mandalorian Iron) armor until LoTF. He's been using a durasteel set all this time...so thats where the dents come from.

    Beskar is vulnerable to prolonged heat like any metal, it also passes through blunt force impacts like any other metal...so it could be heat scored and you can die from physical trauma while wearing. (Karen Traviss explained.)

    So it's resistant to lightsabers, corrosion, and dents...it's not 100% impervious. It's just the next best thing. =)

    Also, the visor of mando and clone helmets have a 360 degree HUD. So the can see all around them at all times. So that 10% view is actually a 100% view from the inside. Don't ask how it works...it's star wars, so it works. =)
  8. Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    126
    Dec 7, 2008, 11:21 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #8

    The 360 hud isn't a difficult concept - you could do it today. I've been considering trying it in my helmet - just have a stripped down laptop mounted somewhere on your suit, feeding in the inputs from a couple webcams mounted around your helmet, and set up a display showing up all those screens in around your visor. The only issue would be the same one described by Fett in the LoTF - the numerous inputs are confusing for those inexperienced with the system.
  9. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    253
    Dec 7, 2008, 11:28 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #9

    Quote FoxPrimus101 said: View Post
    The thing I don't understand is why everyone puts dent and cuts in there helmets and armor when there supposed to be made out of "Mandalorian Iron" wich is said to be impenetrable by any brute force after being casted and even light sabre proof! lol I guess Boba lost his dads helmet and made his own with cheaper materials. Caugh"scrathc built"
    Mandalorian Iron is tough, but not invulnerable. It stopped Jaina Solo's lightsaber from severing Boba Fett's head, but another Mando's chest piece was destroyed when Jacen used the Shatterpoint technique. All armor has its breaking point, and the typical Mandalorian sees a lot of rough action.
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Dec 7, 2008, 11:41 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #10

    Quote Runtman said: View Post
    The 360 hud isn't a difficult concept - you could do it today. I've been considering trying it in my helmet - just have a stripped down laptop mounted somewhere on your suit, feeding in the inputs from a couple webcams mounted around your helmet, and set up a display showing up all those screens in around your visor. The only issue would be the same one described by Fett in the LoTF - the numerous inputs are confusing for those inexperienced with the system.
    Don't forget you have to figure out a way to make screens small enough to focus your eyes to, or magnify tiny screens so that you can focus on them. Trust me, it's MUCH MUCH harder than most people think...I've already done a prototype of this with everything contained in the helmet. I've pulled it out of my helmet for now as it just felt unsafe, but you don't need a laptop to do this. I don't wanna take this topic off it's original post more than we already have, but if you have questions you can PM me.
  11. Apollo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    255
    Dec 7, 2008, 12:16 PM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #11

    I'm confused by the question a bit. I've read the VD where they talk about Jango helping to design it, and the T-visor is really obvious in the epII clones, but the rest of the armor is very unmando.
  12. jodo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,207
    Dec 7, 2008, 1:18 PM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #12

    Quote FoxPrimus101 said: View Post
    It's not so much unsafe as it seems. The T-visor's designed to prevent spears, swords, other blunt objects and light sabre's from damaging the wearers face in battle.

    The thing I don't understand is why everyone puts dent and cuts in there helmets and armor when there supposed to be made out of "Mandalorian Iron" wich is said to be impenetrable by any brute force after being casted and even light sabre proof! lol I guess Boba lost his dads helmet and made his own with cheaper materials. Caugh"scrathc built"
    I was actualy reffered to the Empire changing the design of the T-Visor to the Stormtrooper eye holes.
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Dec 7, 2008, 1:55 PM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #13

    Quote Apollo said: View Post
    but the rest of the armor is very unmando.
    Not necessarily. We have no heavy suited mandos to really compare a clone's armor to, only the modern traditional segmented suit. There may have been a heavy suit of beskar'gam that completely covered the body. This is all speculation of course, but it's plausible speculation.
  14. Bossywalker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    87
    Dec 8, 2008, 8:32 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #14

    On the side note of the 360 HUD thing. Wouldn't you lose depth of field similar to what happens with night vision goggles?
  15. mandosoldier's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    755
    Dec 8, 2008, 8:52 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #15

    Quote Bossywalker said: View Post
    On the side note of the 360 HUD thing. Wouldn't you lose depth of field similar to what happens with night vision goggles?
    maybe, but I'm assuming there's stuff in there to remedy that, rangefinder or some such. Or it may be simply used to see what's behind you, without worrying too much as to how far to your side/rear it is, you may have to face it if you want to know distance.
  16. Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    126
    Dec 8, 2008, 9:30 AM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #16

    Quote mandosoldier said: View Post
    maybe, but I'm assuming there's stuff in there to remedy that, rangefinder or some such. Or it may be simply used to see what's behind you, without worrying too much as to how far to your side/rear it is, you may have to face it if you want to know distance.
    The main issue that gives nightvision goggles the lack of depth perception is the single lense. Think of it like walking around with only one eye. It's easily solved with multiple cameras - I've used a set of night vision goggles with multiple inputs and lenses, it was a lot easier.
  17. CombatBaby's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,333
    Dec 8, 2008, 12:10 PM - Re: Why is Clone trooper armour just like Mando Armour? #17

    he thought it was a good design?

    you can't see anything in these helmets :P

Similar Threads

  1. I am looking for clone trooper armour CT
    By SithScott in forum Star Wars Costumes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 13, 2010, 4:09 AM
  2. clone armour
    By archangel777 in forum Star Wars Costumes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
  3. My New Style Mando Armour
    By Darth Valcar in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 250
    Last Post: Jan 24, 2009, 12:36 PM
  4. Fixing neck armour to back armour
    By Callista in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 16, 2005, 9:23 AM