Why the change in color?

From
    San Antonio TX

Why the change in color?

Ok so not sure if this topic has been discussed or not but one thing I have been wondering is why the change of armor and coloring from the original ESB to the original ROTJ? This never really made any since to me was it because something happened to the original parts from empire or was it they felt like he just didn't have enough say "pop" to him, your thoughts?

Chris

From
    Orlando, Florida

Re: Why the change in color?

Are you familiar with the information about how 2 different people painted the 6 helmets leaving a few different suit styles?

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/b...t-files-42712/

From
    Galati, Romania

Army said: View Post
    Ok so not sure if this topic has been discussed or not but one thing I have been wondering is why the change of armor and coloring from the original ESB to the original ROTJ? This never really made any since to me was it because something happened to the original parts from empire or was it they felt like he just didn't have enough say "pop" to him, your thoughts?

Chris
    Well, to understand (if it's possible) these changes, we must go back to the concept and preproduction of Boba Fett. The idea of Boba Fett's suit and armor was that he gathered most of these parts from all over the galaxy. This is why on the preproduction photos he had two differently painted gauntlets, a differently painted armor (the right chest, the center diamond, the collar and the back plate), the hip pouches (different color in some cases), the ammo pouches (different types) and so on.
    For Empire they already changed parts of this concept and made a military-like look with green gauntlets and jetpack.
    Altough they wanted to use the ESB Hero helmet for ROTJ, the fact that this helmet was casted (?) for at least two stunt helmets, they heavily damaged the already damaged ESB Hero helmet and instead was used the ESB Promo #1 helmet, which became the ROTJ Hero helmet. For ROTJ they did an unforgivable thing: most of the existing armor parts were repainted and dented (or filled) with a single color scheme and for this process they used Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3, ESB Hero and Promo #1 (Heilman Photo) parts.

Here is an image I posted on my Boba Fett Suit Fact Files thread:

correct-timeline-2-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

TrevOwnz said: View Post
    Are you familiar with the information about how 2 different people painted the 6 helmets leaving a few different suit styles?

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/b...t-files-42712/
    That is the link to the Boba Fett Suit Fact Files, but I have another thread which covers most of these changes from ESB to ROTJ ==> The Fate Of The Twin Armors (Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3, ESB and Promo #1)

Well one explenation from a Moviemakers view - The all in oliv armor fith more with the dark militaric theme of the Empire where he is seen with.
    But that all in grey would may not suit for Jabbas Palace, so Boba blends in with his funky colored jetpack. XD

Also it is a common method to look people "older" in the sequels by changing their style. That can go from a diffrent haircut or to 50kilo extra fat XD -> or just some new gloves.

And there is also the In universe explanation from Jeremy himself: "Boba got more then one suit." XD
    The blue flightsuit from empire is properbly in the washing and the blue-red-yellow jetpack might have a dustfilter for Tatooine (while the ESB Jetpack works better at high altitude for bespin XD )

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

What I don't get is if the ESB hero helmet was so damaged that they couldn't use it for ROTJ, why did they use it for the SE scenes? It couldn't have been in better shape then than it was before, unless they did additional repairs to it that we (or just I) don't know about.
    Last edited by locitus; Mar 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM.

From
    Galati, Romania

locitus said: View Post
    What I don't get is if the ESB hero helmet was so damaged that they couldn't use it for ROTJ, why did they use it for the SE scenes? I couldn't have been in better shape then than it was before, unless they did additional repairs to it that we (or just I) don't know about.
    The funny thing with the ESB Hero in the ROTJ SE is this:

While we were shooting the musical scene at Jabba's Palace (shot at ILM, which we referred to as "Jedi Rocks"), George Lucas had the idea to insert Boba into the scene chatting up the dancers. During a break in the filming, Rick McCallum called me over to ask if there were any Boba costumes in the archives for us to use. I said there were, so he told me to go up at lunch and get one, bring it back and wear it for the scene...so I did.
    Don Bies about his role in the ROTJ SE. (source: Don Bies interview - Star Wars - Droid supervisor - R2-D2)

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

So it was completely random that Don Bies chose the ESB hero instead of any other helmet?

From
    Galati, Romania

locitus said: View Post
    So it was completely random that Don Bies chose the ESB hero instead of any other helmet?
    Sounds like that! It's possibly that the ROTJ Hero was on tour and because the ESB Hero was already matched with a whole ROTJ stunt suit for touring and exibitions, this is why they choosed that helmet (and suit), altough in the archives there was the heavily damaged Sandy, two ROTJ (painted ESB style) stunt helmets and the Pre-Pro #3.

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

Oh the joys and mysteries of Star Wars props!