Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

what was the 1st thing you would change about episode 1?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

Re: what was the 1st thing you would change about episode 1?

story by: George Lucas
    screenplay by: someone else

or

produced by: George Lucas
    directed by: someone else

From
    Limerick, Ireland

I would have liked to have skipped most of TPM - had an in depth clone war - make a longer story out of the betrayal of those fighting to preserve what became the empire - and much more of how the clones became bloody STORMTROOPERS! It was great to se the 'birth' of Vader - so PLEASE show us the birth of troopers :

I like troopers me!

Dave

Midichlorians and Jake Lloyd, here. First, the midichlorians ruining the mystique of the force. Suddenly instead of being able to control the great spiritual force that surrounds us and binds us to the cycles of life and death... you're contaminated with little bloodstream algae which are the ACTUAL controllers of the spiritual force that surrounds us. I like to pretend midichlorians never happened.

Jake Lloyd was a cute kid, but an awful actor. There are some amazing child actors out there, and with George's budget, he should have been able to get one of them. I should extend this complaint to Hayden Christiansen, who I'm sure is a great guy, but cannot convey the depth of tortured emotion that he really absolutely HAD to make convincing to make Anakin's turn to the dark side believable. (but then, the script he had to work with didn't help either)

Jar Jar was lame, and he mortified me the first time I saw Ep 1 in theaters (WHAT this guy is SO DUMB what is he doing in my STAR WARS) but as time passed I could see beyond his big annoying butt and into the creamy layers of badness beneath.

From
    The Cold Widwest

Evrything.

From
    Appleton, Wisconsin

The whole midichlorian thing kinda bugged me. And for the special effects... I have observed over the years that most of the younger generation (I'm 23 mind you so people my age are included) can't handle any real thinking so bright and shiny things have to be put in front of them to be interesting. That's why George makes the big bucks, he tailored it to the younger generation of star wars fans, if I wrote the prequal trilogy, each movie would be about 3 hours long chock full-o-story and old school special effects I'm done on my soapbox now and I'm going to bed soon because it's 5:00 A.M. here and I'm rambling...

From
    Norwich UK

The whole thing just smacked of political correctness, unlike the raw edge that the originals had. The world is too PC already and now Star Wars went the same way

Episode III did redeem itself though. Whilst horrible, Vader killing the younglings was what Vader was all about. He was bad to the core and had no emotional morals. That was the very essence of the dark side.

lets just forget Episode I and move on

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

personally i believe the shortcomings of the original trilogy stem from the fact that george lacked a mentor of his own when he went back to writing and then onto the directors chair. while creating the universe and mythology of star wars he could call upon joseph campbell, one of the worlds top experts of mythology and the psychologies that created myths. sadly campbell died in 1987, and it seems that george hadn't internalized campbells teachings. without that guidance the prequel trilogy suffered greatly.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

You know, I actually thought of a 1 line answer.

Dirt. The universe is too clean in the prequils. Its nice and dirty in the OT.

From
    Greensburg Indiana

Lucas always said He liked having a used universe.. but if you back in time far enough they have to be new sooner or later... ..god I hate the phantom menace...

When I watched TPM for the 1st time someone asked me If I liked it.. and I said no. but I'm going to keep watching it till I do!

From
    solihull,west midlands,UK

personally i like movies with less talking and more explosions
    my dad thinks the movies need more plot less special effects
    well everyone is entitled to thier opinion
    (even jar-jar binks)

From
    The Netherlands

I HATE the bongo scene

that's said

realy, its so stupid.

Ruben

I would start the movie at exactly the same point but, instead of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have Obi-Wan and Anakin therefor cutting the need for the Pod race, Midichlorians and the Immaculate conception.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Qui-Gon and I'm sure his character could have been used elsewhere but it was supposed to be the story of how Anakin turned to the Dark Side not his whole life story.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

dha'kad junn said: View Post
    personally i like movies with less talking and more explosions
    <yoda>that is why you fail...</yoda>

From
    Arkansas

I actually like the Prequels. New heroes, new villans, new planets, new battles. I think the big disappointment was from the first generation of fans (I guess I'm a second generation fan) People were expecting it to be the original Star Wars all over again, but it wasn't, it's a different, darker era.
    I'd say the only thing I really didn't like from the PT was a lot of the aliens. I like the look of the Gungans, but some of the other CG sentients just looked ridiculously stupid. (though a lot of alien were pretty stupid looking in the Originals)
    Hmm, I think Lucas could have made it a bit more obvious that long periods of time are passing in the 2 hours of each movie. That seems to have lead to much confusion.

From
    Belfast, Co Antrim, Ireland.

I'm of the opinion that GL should have got someone else to direct the preq's, its no coincidence that fans of the original trilogy pick ESB as their favourite movie!

From
    Belfast, Co Antrim, Ireland.

And no it's not just because the galaxys coolest bounty hunter is in it! "That was a pre-emptive Shush." I know you were thinking it (cause I was too).

From
    Cartagena/Colombia

I think the way Drth Maul dies is pretty lame....
    It's supouse that Maul bein a great-skilled trick make that jump just to be cutted un a half....

I'll choose for a fight were Qi Gon and Obi Wan together hurt Maul and he (keeping the fight) do the same to Qi Gon.....

But i'll have to say that Lucas had his reasons.....

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

PeYoK said: View Post
    But i'll have to say that Lucas had his reasons.....
    New villains for each movie = more action figures.

From
    Cary, NC

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    New villains for each movie = more action figures.
    Hah, never thought of that, but you are right on the money. Get it? Money? They make more... Ok nvm al;sdjkf

But really, the way Maul died in the end was great, that was the only time Maul blinked in the entire movie, but they should have left out the blood spray when he got sliced.

From
    Wisconsin

I'd have to say the script. I have seen all of those actors in other movies and they did a great job. The script was poorly written and I would love to have seen the wit, humor and intelligence that was in the original trilogy.

Tim Rose (Ackbar) said in an interview the OT had problems with the animatronic hears for characters du to the cables that went into controlling the facial features. He suggested that the PT should have used the same types of animatronic (updated of course) and use the new CGI for erasing the cables and achieving the wider angles. If only.............

Actually scratch that the one and only thing I would change........RICK MCCALLUM!!!

He is the reason far all things wrong with the prequels

Change 1 and MOST important: Erase or better yet Kill Jar Jar and Boss Nass. The rest of the gungans I have no problem with. Actually the Gungans rule for a very simple fact... They exile the stupid people from their realm, an example I wish would be followed in some cases in the real world.

Change 2: I'd have Maul being trained and deadly actually beat Obi wan who was only barely trained. End it with Obi Wan fleeing and managing to escape, that would have enabled EP II to have a MUCH better sith enemy than Count Dookie who wasn't as much evil as he was a grumpy old man.

Change 3: Take out the whole midichlorian nonsense. It's a mysterious force, everything doesn't have to be freaking explained. The Episode 5 explanation given by Yoda was more than enough.

Change 4. Make pod race shorter, do we REALLY need to see every single lap around the 50 mile course? Watching NASCAR is boring enough. Seeing it with a kid yelling woo hoo and wheee doesn't make it better.

Change 5: I would have found a child who was a bit more closer to Padme's age in order to make the whole "Are you an angel" thing a bit less creepy, I mean it's like Weird Al said " Even though he's just 9 and she's 14"

From
    Weatherford, TX

Episode 1 was too heavy on the comedic relief. You had Jar Jar, 3PO, and a rambling droid army.....couldve cut back a little bit......but dont get me wrong, overall, I'd take the worst movie of the star wars saga over ANY other non-canon film any day!!!!

From
    Pennsylvania

I wish that they would have included more info from the Darth Plagueis novel. That book actually makes ep.1 watchable, and it also provides info on why everyone wants to take over naboo and the whole sifo Dias thing. I highly recommend the book, its really good and really fills in all the blanks from ep.1 and 2.